SITREP - DEP Option40 - Mata Leao

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Mata Leao
Inprocessing

SITREP - DEP Option40 - Mata Leao

Post by Mata Leao »

Rangers,

After a week of waiting for background checks and eye surgery waiver I have glimpsed the promise land. Over the last week I have had every recruiter from the office call me to offer me an 18x contract "you'll get to jump out of planes" blahblahblah. I have politely declined and maintained that I know exactly what I want, 11x Option 40. After I declined another 18x offer this morning the recruiters finally got the idea. I was called back notifying me that they contacted the ROC and they offered me an 11x Option 40(reserved). I go to MEPS on Monday to complete my physical and sign my contract. I am excited to have the ball roll a few inches further along the process but know that until I see the contract nothing is certain. I will prepare for the worst and hope for the best come Monday at MEPS. Thank you for the advice and support thus far, I look forward to entering DEP and gaining a Ranger mentor. I will post again come Tuesday when the dust has settled.

Again, thank you for your time, Rangers.
Last edited by Mata Leao on November 10th, 2010, 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ship date: 20110418
Mentor: Hakweergr

Failure to prepare is preparing to fail!
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Re: SITREP - Mata Leao

Post by Ranger Bill »

Congratulations!

All you other men who are dealing with the recruiting process, take notice.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

How was the "work history" issue resolved?
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Mata Leao
Inprocessing

Post by Mata Leao »

Lefty wrote:How was the "work history" issue resolved?

Ranger Lefty,

The work history 'issue' never actually existed. The recruiter was trying to suggest I change my history to speed the enlistment process as I'd already been waiting 6months due to my eye surgery. The real issue that arose was waiting on a background check from the county I had been working in as they are notoriously slow. After a solid talk with the recruiter, specifically mentioning the advice I've received on the forum and my personal feelings on the matter, ALL information was included into my packet. My background checks all cleared after another recruiter from Chicago personally walked my background check into the Cook Country office, then faxed it to my recruiter so my packet would be complete and allow me to go to MEPs. Notoriously slow apparently did not apply for my case. My apologies for not including the information in the sitrep.

Thank you for the support, Rangers.

Mata Leao
Inprocessing

Re: SITREP - DEP Option40 - Mata Leao

Post by Mata Leao »

Rangers,

The dust has settled.

After taking the full ASVAB (93) and completing my physical(1's across the board) I am proudly reporting that I signed my 11X Option 40 Airborne Ranger contract today. I am now in DEP, shipping 20110418. I am anxiously awaiting the possibility of a mentor so I may continue to improve and absorb what knowledge I can in the coming months. I highly recommended the ArmyRanger.com forum to all Airborne candidates interested in RASP that I could as it was INVALUABLE to my enlistment process. MANY thanks to ALL Rangers who've provided advice and input thus far, it is truly appreciated. I intend to be worthy of your help!

Thank you again, Rangers!!!

Terrence_87
Future Soldier

Post by Terrence_87 »

Future Soldier Mata Leao,

Congratulations!

That's not a bad ship date either. I've read that some opt. 40 guys aren't leaving until June and July. Maybe you got one of those lucky 'last minute' spots?
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Mata Leao, the date of your entry into service is a famous date.

It was on your date that Jimmy Doolittle lead the raid on Japan in 1942.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Terrence_87
Future Soldier

Post by Terrence_87 »

Thanks for the history moment, Ranger/Admin Steadfast.
Comunique
Embryo

Post by Comunique »

Mata Leao wrote: I am now in DEP, shipping 20110418.
Mata Leao,

I too am DEP with the same shipping date. You aren't by chance going to basic at Ft. Sill are you?
Steadfast wrote:Mata Leao, the date of your entry into service is a famous date.

Ranger Steadfast,

That's an interesting history moment I didn't know about. Thanks for that.
Mata Leao
Inprocessing

Post by Mata Leao »

Terrence_87 wrote:Future Soldier Mata Leao,

Congratulations!

That's not a bad ship date either. I've read that some opt. 40 guys aren't leaving until June and July. Maybe you got one of those lucky 'last minute' spots?
Thank you for the congratulations. Yes and no to the last minute spot. The recruiters were up front with what was available and what not, but I had no time for anything other than 11x Option 40. I received an 18x offer from every recruiter in the office until I told them to stop calling me until my Option 40 was waiting for me. My first action entering the Army wasn't going to be bitching up and taking something I didn't want. So, 'last minute' for my recruiters, yes, but not for me.
Steadfast wrote:Mata Leao, the date of your entry into service is a famous date.

Thank you, Ranger Steadfast

I was actually informed of this by my liaison at MEPs as well. I am taking it as a small bit of motivation at the beginning of my journey.
Comunique wrote: I too am DEP with the same shipping date. You aren't by chance going to basic at Ft. Sill are you?
No. I will be attending Basic at Ft. Benning.

Mata Leao
Inprocessing

Re: SITREP - OFFICIAL AFPT - Mata Leao

Post by Mata Leao »

Rangers,

I completed the APFT with my Future Soldier SGT today.

Push ups - 111
Sit ups - 73
2 mile - 11:38

I set an awkward angle for my legs during the sit up portion and burnt out early, very disappointing. After taking an official test I know what I will change going into the next test to correct my errors and improve my results. I scored a 291 as a 25yr old, or a 292 in the 17-21yr old grading scale. The SGT told me my score translates to a 354 if you include the fictional "plus points". The SGT also informed me I'll be the first future soldier to be put on the Physical Fitness Excellence plaque located at the main recruiting station. I am happy with my performance, but I have a bad taste in my mouth about failing to reach the TRUE 300 club. I intend to correct this!

Thank you to all Rangers for input to the site and extra thanks to Ranger HakweeRgr for his efforts and guidance.

Driving on till ship day!

- Mata Leao

K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Excellent PT score. Never stop trying to beat it.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Mata Leao
Inprocessing

Post by Mata Leao »

Thank you for the encouragement, Ranger K.Ingraham.

I am fired up after failing to reach a true 300, I intend to perform better and earn it!

Never Quit!

KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

the extended scale really only comes into play when you've gotten 100 pts. per event. so you've got the right mindset. you'll only ever "officially" score a 300, but the extended scale is used in various places.

good on ya, for only wanting a real 300. drive on, you'll get there. and you could start doing pull ups after the run too.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Mata Leao
Inprocessing

Post by Mata Leao »

Roger, Ranger KW Driver.

Pull ups will be included after the run from here on out.

Return to “Recruitment Process”