" SUPER MOON " !!!

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
RANGER513
Ranger

" SUPER MOON " !!!

Post by RANGER513 »

YIKES !!!

For those of you that posted the end of the Earth is in December of 2012, YOU ARE WRONG !!

We are ALL going to die on March 20th !!!

:roll:

Space.com article

On March 19, the moon will swing around Earth more closely than it has in the past 18 years, lighting up the night sky from just 221,567 miles (356,577 kilometers) away. On top of that, it will be full. And one astrologer believes it could inflict massive damage on the planet.

Richard Nolle, a noted astrologer who runs the website astropro.com, has famously termed the upcoming full moon at lunar perigee (the closest approach during its orbit) an "extreme supermoon."

When the moon goes super-extreme, Nolle says, chaos will ensue: Huge storms, earthquakes, volcanoes and other natural disasters can be expected to wreak havoc on Earth. (It should be noted that astrology is not a real science, but merely makes connections between astronomical and mystical events.)

But do we really need to start stocking survival shelters in preparation for the supermoon?

The question is not actually so crazy. In fact scientists have studied related scenarios for decades. Even under normal conditions, the moon is close enough to Earth to make its weighty presence felt: It causes the ebb and flow of the ocean tides.

The moon's gravity can even cause small but measureable ebbs and flows in the continents, called "land tides" or "solid Earth tides," too. The tides are greatest during full and new moons, when the sun and moon are aligned either on the same or opposite sides of the Earth.

According to John Vidale, a seismologist at the University of Washington in Seattle and director of the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network, particularly dramatic land and ocean tides do trigger earthquakes. "Both the moon and sun do stress the Earth a tiny bit, and when we look hard we can see a very small increase in tectonic activity when they're aligned," Vidale told Life's Little Mysteries, a sister site to SPACE.com.

At times of full and new moons, "you see a less-than-1-percent increase in earthquake activity, and a slightly higher response in volcanoes."

The effect of tides on seismic activity is greatest in subduction zones such as the Pacific Northwest, where one tectonic plate is sliding under another. William Wilcock, another seismologist at the University of Washington, explained: "When you have a low tide, there's less water, so the pressure on the seafloor is smaller. That pressure is clamping the fault together, so when it's not there, it makes it easier for the fault to slip."

According to Wilcock, earthquake activity in subduction zones at low tides is 10 percent higher than at other times of the day, but he hasn't observed any correlations between earthquake activity and especially low tides at new and full moons. Vidale has observed only a very small correlation.

What about during a lunar perigee? Can we expect more earthquakes and volcanic eruptions on March 19, when the full moon will be so close?

The moon's gravitational pull at lunarperigee, the scientists say, is not different enough from its pull at other times to significantly change the height of the tides and thus the likelihood of natural disasters.

"A lot of studies have been done on this kind of thing by USGS scientists and others," John Bellini, a geophysicist at the U.S. Geological Survey, told Life's Little Mysteries. "They haven't found anything significant at all."

Vidale concurred. "Practically speaking, you'll never see any effect of lunar perigee," he said. "It's somewhere between 'It has no effect' and 'It's so small you don't see any effect.'"

The bottom line is, the upcoming supermoon won't cause a preponderance of earthquakes, although the idea isn't a crazy one.

"Earthquakes don't respond as much to the tides as you'd think they would. There should actually be more of an effect," said Vidale.

Most natural disasters have nothing to do with the moon at all. The Earth has a lot of pent up energy, and it releases it anytime the buildup gets too great. The supermoon probably won't push it past the tipping point, but we'll know for sure, one way or the other, by March 20.
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
Cdoc93
Embryo

Re: " SUPER MOON " !!!

Post by Cdoc93 »

haha good find Ranger, Ranger513.
I always liked articles like this that say were basically screwed at the beginning, then go the completely opposite way and tell us well be totally fine after telling us were screwed in the middle of the story, then at the end they reiterate that we could possibly be screwed but be most likely fine.

Gotta love doomsday articles. Now im gonna get back to stocking up on food for when this shit hits the fan :roll:
"It's not over till it's over."
Never quit!
"Get your mind straight... hundreds and thousands of reasons to quit... your goal is the ONE reason not to quit."
Ship date: 20110531
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

I'm concerned about this about the same as I was when the world was suppose to stop turning on Y2K !!!

Y2K, SUPER MOON, Malian calender ending, lions, tigers, and bears, OH MY !!!
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

(yawn) Oh, really? Well, all I know for certain is that I have to pay my taxes (done and done) and eventually I have to die. I just haven't set the date/time group yet, which is the last thing I intend to do.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Ha Ha you so funny GI. Moon have no effect here in Tokyo.............. DOH! :? :roll:
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

Extreme Supermoon? Like, it snowboards and drinks Mountain Dew Code Red?
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
AntonA2W
Ranger

Post by AntonA2W »

I feel kinda silly, I saw the subject & clicked on it hoping we had a new fat chick forum!!
"...Fuck it all and Fuckin no regrets..."

God Bless Dementia

1/75, A2W, 11Jul93-18Nov94 (started day 1 of a 34 day nap)
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

" SUPER MOON " !!!

Post by IEDmagnet »

The book says no one will know the time or date, I'm gonna follow it and call these people retards. Bottom line... oops.... gotta get my zombie kits ready.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Furious George
Ranger

Post by Furious George »

"SUPER MOON" will notaffect Charlie Sheen because he is...duh, WINNING!
A Co. 2/504 ('86-'87)
Recon Plt. 2/504 ('88-'90)
Operation Just Cause

RS 14-88
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

Well, its 02:45 hours on the 21st !!!????

Guess that kinda went over like the big Y2K thingy. :roll:

Guess we will all just have to wait and die in 2012 when the jungle people calender ends. :shock:
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

Fuck. I was on the roof of the house all night in a white robe, just waiting. :lol:
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
AntonA2W
Ranger

Post by AntonA2W »

Fuck. I was on the roof of the house all night in a white robe, just waiting.
I even had my tin-foil hat on, just waiting.. (and hoping)...=)
"...Fuck it all and Fuckin no regrets..."

God Bless Dementia

1/75, A2W, 11Jul93-18Nov94 (started day 1 of a 34 day nap)

Return to “The News Dump”