Off to RASP!

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Squidward89
USN Veteran

Re: Off to RASP!

Post by Squidward89 »

Well first off I just have to say...WOW!
Because I admire anyone who 1) joins the military and 2) tries to be part of the best, my initial reaction to your guys breakdown of this guys confession was along the lines of "boy, that's harsh". However, as I thought about it, I realized that not only am I now living the soft life as a civilian but what you guys said was right on the mark, and I'm a little embarassed I didn't notice that right away. You guys have to be cut, dried and to the point, regardless of 'feelings' because if your not, people die or worse.
These are my favorite quotes which I passed along to my son because I recognize the value of them.
ZoneIV wrote: First of all, you did not "fail". Saying you "failed" implies you could not pass tasks to conditions and standards. You QUIT. Failing and quitting are two entirely different things. You can train a person who fails to eventually pass. You cannot train a quitter to not quit. So you do not have any regrets about quitting? This one sentence of yours tell me that you do not have the mindset to be a US Army Ranger because quitting is NEVER an option.
Surrender and quitting are the same thing. Quitting shows you do not have the intestinal fortitude to complete the mission.
Thank you for you service. Thank you for your frankness. Thank you for giving me a refresher in how easy I have it because of "hard" SOBs like yourself. :wink:

Sincerely,
Squidward

P.S. To the soldier that quit RASP, you are young, and one decision doesn't have to paint your whole life. You may never now become a Ranger, but that doesn't mean that you can't learn from your mistake and become a better person for it. I was never a Ranger, so I can't critique you. You joined the Army to get into the fight and serve, and for that I thank you.
USS Memphis SSN-691 1985-1989
US Navy SCUBA Diver, class 87-27-SC
Naval Nuclear Power School, class 8405
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Pretty good post for an officer there, Zone IV. :P

Seriously, much of that thread is on its way to my DEP now.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Will37
Embryo

Post by Will37 »

KW Driver wrote: What's the next thing you're going to quit? 12 miles into an 18 mile walk through the Itailian hillsides, causing your squad and PLT to carry your gear as well? The middle of a fight at the next Restrepo your unit goes to?

You can't say you won't, because you've proven through your actions that you have it in you to quit. You have to prove to yourself you will never quit again.
Thank you for posting this KWDriver.

I kept this in mind when I was starting to fade on my run yesterday. I kept my good mile time going for three miles. I was shocked when I checked my time after the run. That was the first time in a while that I really felt my mind pushing my body beyond what I previously thought it was capable of.

I apologize in advance if I shouldn't have posted this.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

I'm happy to see you're such good friends with Ranger KWDriver.

He'll be happy to know that you're knocking out 50 push ups for lack of attention to detail.

Don't cheat yourself either if you truly want this. Nothing worth having is easy bud.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Will37
Embryo

Post by Will37 »

cams wrote:
I'm happy to see you're such good friends with Ranger KWDriver.

He'll be happy to know that you're knocking out 50 push ups for lack of attention to detail.

Don't cheat yourself either if you truly want this. Nothing worth having is easy bud.

I apologize for showing disrespect and my lack of attention to detail, Ranger KWDriver.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to set me straight, Ranger Cams.

Doing the push ups.
Elguapo
Ranger

Post by Elguapo »

Young Will37,

There will come a day when you are being pushed even further past your limits than you had thought possible. You will reflect to one of two memories.

Memory 1: Instead of doing PT and "learning", you were posting.

Memory 2: Instead of posting, you were doing PT and learning from this website.

Which shall it be?

No response is required. Think about it.
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
VIPER--00
Ranger

Post by VIPER--00 »

Elguapo wrote:Young Will37,

There will come a day when you are being pushed even further past your limits than you had thought possible. You will reflect to one of two memories.

Memory 1: Instead of doing PT and "learning", you were posting.

Memory 2: Instead of posting, you were doing PT and learning from this website.

Which shall it be?

No response is required. Think about it.
All of these Fucking Privates and Fucking Dudes who have not even been to Basic Training should not be allowed to post on this board.

-----

For PACKMULE,

I know who you are. I know what you have done. You don't have to be in the 82nd to get blown the fuck up. So shut the fuck up and have some respect for the dead.

Return to “Letters from School”