Shortest Books Ever Written

Military Humor. Laugh at me. Laugh at you. Laugh at them.

Moderator: Site Admin

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Shortest Books Ever Written

Post by Steadfast »

Ahhh, the Amish Directory.

Technology & the Amish
http://pittsburgh.about.com/cs/pennsylv ... mish_2.htm

excerpt:
It is common for Amish communities to allow the use of telephones, but not in the home. Instead, several Amish families will share a telephone in a wooden shanty between farms.
Amish Baptism

excerpt:
Prior to baptism, Amish teenagers are encouraged to sample life in the outside world, in a period referred to as rumspringa, Pennsylvania Deutsch for "running around." They are still bound by the beliefs and rules of their parents, but a certain amount of disregard and experimentation is permitted or overlooked. During this time many Amish teenagers use the relaxed rules for a chance at courting and other wholesome fun, but some may dress "English," smoke, talk on cell phones or drive around in automobiles. Rumspringa ends when the youth requests baptism into the church or chooses to permanently leave Amish society. Most choose to remain Amish.
The Amish population in the U.S. numbers more than 150,000 and growing, due to large family size (seven children on average) . .

I'd bet big $$$ (about a quarter :mrgreen: ) the Amish directory is thicker than the de Generes & O'Donnell book.

I used to tell a old boss that my doctor, Dr. Jack Kevorkian says if I don't stay home in bed, I won't be around much longer. :lol:

Overall a very good post/story.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Good Humor Popsicle Zone”