Active Duty tring to get a RASP1 slot

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Thebloodsonthewall
US Army

Post by Thebloodsonthewall »

Rangers:

I am Active Duty as a 25U with the 25th ID in Schofield Barracks. I am currently deployed to Iraq with 5 months remaining. I have been in contact with a Ranger recruiter and instead of answering my questions he just emailed me the packet and told me I was qualified. I am sure he is very busy so I am trying to figure out the answers without bothering him anymore than I need to.

In the packet is said that soldiers that are OCONUS go to Airborne and RASP1 TDY enroute. I have been told that Schofield Barracks (Hawaii) is considered CONUS when it comes to schools. Does anyone know if this is true?

My DEROS date is not until FEB2013 on a three year tour. Do I have to finish out my time on island or if I pass RASP1 can I PCS early?

I realize this should probably be posted in another section. As a 25U what would my role be? Would I be stuck in an S-6 shop or can I be with a line platoon?

Thank you Rangers.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Active Duty tring to get a RASP1 slot

Post by Disinfertention »

In the packet is said that soldiers that are OCONUS go to Airborne and RASP1 TDY enroute. I have been told that Schofield Barracks (Hawaii) is considered CONUS when it comes to schools. Does anyone know if this is true?
The best person to ask that would probably be your S-4 Rep.
I realize this should probably be posted in another section. As a 25U what would my role be? Would I be stuck in an S-6 shop or can I be with a line platoon?
I've worked with a variety of commo MOS's at the company. With that... It depends.

I didn't answer your second question because I'm not much for making educated guesses on things like that. Hopefully someone a little more in the know can answer that. I don't even know what DEROS stands for. If you want my educated guess you can PM me.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Thebloodsonthewall
US Army

Thank you Ranger Disinfertention for your reply. I will talk to the personnel Sgt and well as the schools Sgt. Hopefully one of them will know the answer.

DEROS is the date that my obligation to my current unit is done. It would be the same as the day that I would PCS.

I will send you a private message, thank you.
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

First off, Alaska and Hawaii are OCONUS. What TDY enroute means is that you going to Airborne and RASP is part of an actual PCS move, not just you going to school. As far as your DEROS goes (as far as I know it stands for Date Estimated to Return from OverSeas) Ranger Assignments take precedence over pretty much anything. If your packet goes through, your DEROS doesn't mean shit.

When I volunteered to go to RIP in 1999, I was fresh off of a deployment to Kuwait and I HATED my unit. HATED it with the burning fury of a thousand suns. I put in multiple packets to go to Regiment, but they kept getting denied somewhere in the chain of command. I was so frustrated that I called the 11C branch manager and volunteered to go to fucking Korea just to get away from Ft. Stewart. I was told that I couldn't go anywhere because I was part of "unit stabilization" whatever the fuck that means. So I kept putting in Ranger packets until one day I guess one slipped through and I came down on orders. I couldn't get out of unit stabilization to volunteer for Korea, but Ranger branch took precedence.

There's my .02

Good luck and keep on keepin' on.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
Thebloodsonthewall
US Army

Thank you for the information Ranger Mortar_guy78. I talked to my S-2 shop and they have no idea how this works so thank you for clearing that up for me.

This brings up another question. If I were to PCS what would I do with my family for the 12 or so weeks I was in Airborne and RASP1? I have a wife and a new born baby.

EDIT: I am sure my family would just stay in a hotel on post if there is room.
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

Having your wife and kid stay in post lodging while you are in school would be pretty shitty. You aren't going to have a whole lot of time to spend with them while you are in RASP. My advice to you would be to have them go to either her home or your home and stay with family during that time if possible. The army will pay for your travel as part of a pcs move, so that's no big deal. They will not, however, pay for your family to stay in a hotel for 12 weeks. At least, not as far as I know.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

And if you do graduate RASP, you will then PCS to Lewis or Hunter possibly. But you may have some weekends to see them. Maybe. And you'll most likely be worn the fuck out by the time they see you and want you to be at 100%. you won't be.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Thebloodsonthewall
US Army

I just talked with the Operations SGM for my Squadron and he told me first I have to go to Pre-Ranger and then Ranger School before I can go to the 75th Ranger Regiment. I tried to tell him that I have a packet from the Ranger Recruiter and that I would first go to Airborne School and then RASP1 and he told me I was wrong.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

You don't have to be Ranger Qualified to attend RASP.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Thebloodsonthewall
US Army

goon175 wrote:You don't have to be Ranger Qualified to attend RASP.

Roger, I am tracking but the SGM "knows" the process if you know what I mean. He would not listen to me so I had to do what soldiers do and just say Roger SGM.

Return to “Recruitment Process”