Introduction-Squidward89

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Squidward89
USN Veteran

Re: Introduction-Squidward89

Post by Squidward89 »

Update....My son did not get accepted to RASP while in Airborne school. :cry: He either doesn't know why or he does know but didn't tell me. He knows that his PT score, while not the best (284) was above minimum and his ASVAB scores were high enough (85ish overall and a 118 on some kind of combined score). He is now heading toward Ft. Bragg and the 82nd Airborne. He is happy to be going to the 82nd. He is hoping to go to a unit getting ready to deploy to Afghanistan, because he wants to be in the action and learn first hand what "it" is. He also figures that going to Afghanistan will teach him alot about what he needs to better understand the next time he puts in for RASP. He plans to re-enlist at some point with RASP as the hook. In the mean time he has expressed interest in trying to get on a Scout unit and he also talked about wanting to become a Sapper.

So, while he is disappointed he didn't get in this go around, he plans on learning as much as he can and working on his weak points so that when the opportunity is there again he will be even better prepared.

I will try to periodically check in to keep a "sitrep" going.

Until next time.....
USS Memphis SSN-691 1985-1989
US Navy SCUBA Diver, class 87-27-SC
Naval Nuclear Power School, class 8405
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Good journey Squidward89. Your son with you in his corner will do well. May your son succeed in all his future endeavors.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
RangerTee
Ranger

Post by RangerTee »

Welcome...
"War is an extension of politics by other means" - Carl Phillip Gottfried von Clausewitz - "On War"

http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
U.D. for VII Corps LRRP, C/58 LRP, B/75 RGR for 75th Ranger.Regt.Assn.

Class 2-73
B/75: 72-74
Co.B,1st Ranger Bn.: 74-75
Div.Pathfinders-T.L.,101st Abn.
75thRRA.L.M.#1820
D.A.V. Life Member (75-current)
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Welcome to the site Squidward................. Love the name :D

Never quit, is all your son needs to have in his heart to make it.

Thank you for your service to our great Nation, and welcome here.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com and thanks for your and your son's service to our great country!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Squidward89
USN Veteran

Post by Squidward89 »

Sitrep update...

My son is getting settled in with his company in the 82nd Airborne. He has gotten to do two training jumps, one from a C-130 (I think) and one from a Chinook helicopter. He loves to jump and really enjoyed the helo jump. Being that he's the only newbie in his company right now and the only one without combat experience, I guess he gets yelled at a lot, but he realizes that is part of the equation he volunteered for.

He's a little bummed that he probably won't get deployed for 2 years though. He did get asked today if he was interested in going to a Pre-Ranger Course. Of couse he said, YES, but I guess they told him he has to wait until he's been with his unit for at least 18 months, so he's got another 17 months to wait on that :cry: , but he feels good that they are open to him doing that. I guess he set himself apart (in a good way) on a 10 mile run by being the 7th person to finish out of about 30, so he's beginning to see that his hard work will pay off in the long run. :)

By the way, what is a pre-Ranger course? How long does it usually last? Is it primarily to see who the Company/Division will sent to Ranger School? I'm asking for my own knowledge, I'm guessing my son already knows or will know in the next couple of days/months.

Anyway he's excited to come home for Christmas break, and we are excited to see him again. :D

I know that in the military, holidays don't always get to be taken off, but here's wishing all of you and yours the best over this Christmas season. We only get to celebrate the seasons in peace because people have and are risking their lives for us. So thank you :!:

Sincerely,
Squidward
USS Memphis SSN-691 1985-1989
US Navy SCUBA Diver, class 87-27-SC
Naval Nuclear Power School, class 8405
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Introduction-Squidward89

Post by KW Driver »

Pre-Ranger is a class that helps to prep/validate perquisites for the school. Regiment's was 3 weeks that lead straight into school. It was the hardest phase of school was how a lot of us put it.

I have no idea what the 82nd's is like, but the unit will normally say it's good for a year. Most other unit's/post's Pre-'s will be attended and then at some point go to school.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
dptymc
US Army Veteran

Post by dptymc »

I hope it all works out for him. Sounds like he is pretty motivated. He should be good to go as long as he keeps that up. Have a Merry Christmas

Return to “Introduction Archive”