West Point... no Rangers?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Re: West Point... no Rangers?

Post by rangertough »

Anyone who tells you that it's easy to switch between Guard/Reserve and Active component is feeding you a line of shit. It is not easy. Go Active then after your first 4 (or whatever) go "part time". You will be a far superior soldier than most of your leaders in the Guard or Reserve and you will be assured all the veterans benefits.

Or keep deluding yourself that you're "leaving your options open" or "if I like it I'll switch over to active duty". Guard and Reserve isn't even remotely like active duty.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

because of all the kids that were duped into the split-op program to fill reserve missions, and then going active as soon as they grad. h.s., there is now a 2 year obligation to the reserves after you graduate AIT before you can even ask to go active. and once you have fulfilled that time, it is an even leangthier process to get approved to go active. and then you will most likely fall under the prior service business rules, which stipulates what MOS you can go active with (basically a take it or leave it type deal) and you have next to nothing for negotiating power. If you want to be an Officer, then start the process for West Point or ROTC, but if you want to be a Ranger, then enlist and go to RASP. Your chances of getting to regiment as an officer are slim on a good day. should you be one of the .01 percent of officers who make it to regiment, you will be there for 18 months to 2 years before your back to the conventional side of things. It all depends on what you want to do.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
TheREMF
Ranger

Post by TheREMF »

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.

If you want to go to a Ranger Bat you need to go enlisted. I worked in the S-1 (personnel section) and we received at least 30 packets a month from officers who want to be assigned to a Ranger Battalion and we would only have one or two positions open. As an "O" in Bat you would have to serve as a platoon leader in a conventional unit before you can get any Ranger time. If you go option 40 (no split option) I think you have a better chance at getting in a Ranger Bat (if you have the fortitude). You can always go OCS later and come back as an "O" after your training.
    The REMF
    HHC 2/75th 92-94

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." George Washington

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
    colt1rgr
    Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Well I am no expert on "O's" by any means, but it seems to me.............

If you have a chance at going to the Point you'd have to be a darn fool to turn that down. While I greatly appreciate and admire you for your dedication to wanting to be a Ranger bottom line is, if you have a Degree from the Point you can get a job anywhere. My time in BN has been good to me thru the years, opened many doors and I have no complaints, but I have also found that a good high paying job is priceless. You excel as an "O" (and it sounds as if you have what it takes) you'll get your shot. Best of luck to you. Either way our country wins! :wink:
    1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
    Jim
    Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

We have had a number of wrestlers who have worked their way through here. I applaud your decision to go 68W, Option 40. If you really want to serve in the Ranger Regiment, that is the way to do it. Following a couple deplayments, and you have made a positive name for yourself, you can apply for an appointment to the Military Academy or Green to Gold, or OCS. You will still be young enough. There are fewer than 100 spaces in the entire Regiment for Lieutenants -- arriving as an unproved asset is less than a sure thing.
    Ranger Class 13-71
    Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
    42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
    Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
    Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
    75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Recruitment Process”