Pistol Control

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Bushwack
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Pistol Control

Post by Bushwack »

I have a shooting problem I'm not sure how to correct. When I shoot any type of semi-auto (Glock 30, 1911 Kimber, Colt or Springfield, Beretta 96) I consistently shoot low left groups. The groups are tight but a center of mass hold results in hits about 4 inches low and left at 25 yards. (This issue does not happen with and type of revolver or caliber up to 44 mag.)

I think part of my problem is grip and/or trigger control. I know practice, practice, practice has to be done. Shooting for the sake of putting out rounds with a bad technique is worthless.

Can the pistol shooters here provide any help? Thanks.
SP6/SSG, B 5/6 ADA 76-79; 95th Svc Co 80-82; 523 Maint. Co. 82-84
Proud of him and those like him.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Pistol Control

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Diagnostic Chart

Edited to add: Getting someone to coach you will help.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Bushwack

Post by Bushwack »

Thanks Flesh Thorn. Good chart. Working on a coach. Trying to find a good one is not easy. Too many "Think" they are experts as opposed to actual shooting ability.
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

I think part of my problem is grip and/or trigger control.
Absolutely.

If you are shooting revolvers better than autos, I'm assuming 2 things:

1. You are firing with a cocked hammer in single action mode as opposed to double action.
2. You are getting better results due to the fact that almost ANY single action revolver trigger is better than the typical factory auto trigger.

With this in mind, trigger control is probably the main culprit (as it usually is...), however, at that range, grip will also have a significant influence on the strike of the round.

I find it necessary to dedicate training time specifically for shooting outside of "defensive" range. At 10 meters and closer, you can be sloppy as hell and still land hits where you need to, however, beyond that range, sloppy fundamentals can really open up your groups, especially at 25 and beyond.

This is my approach, and while I sure as hell won't win any bull competitions, it allows me to land head shots on USPSA / IDPA targets with confidence at 25 meters, and I can nail 8" plates at 25 out to bout' 40ish meters.

Grouping drills
- start at 10 -15, or at the range where your groups really start to open.
- dryfire at range deliberately focusing on the fundamentals. I literally go through a mental checklist: Stance (check) Grip (check) Aiming (check) Breathing (exhale) Trigger control (take up slack, break the shot) Follow through ( watch the front sight lift and fall back on target)
- live fire and examine groups. If groups SUCK, reevaluate your grip / trigger squeeze, do 5 to 1 dry fires to every live round
- make a deliberate mental effort to note the "feel" of the grip, trigger press, and follow through with each shot
- as groups tighten, move back, and apply the same process as needed

I find that consistency is vital in order to shoot accurately "at range", ie, outside of "defensive" ranges. Unless I train regularly, I lose the "feel" of the proper grip that will put the round on the plate at 40 meters, and I won't apply the mental focus that I need to make the shot the first time. With regular training, however, it becomes more of a drill to tighten the group to the potential of the gun, as opposed to "getting a tight group", if that makes sense.

Dry fire, start up closer, and work your way back while evaluating your fundamentals and you will get to where you want to be.
Bushwack

Post by Bushwack »

Thanks Dan for the advice and practice drill.

Return to “Weapons of War”