Upcoming MOH Award Ceremony Comment

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

RANGER513
Ranger

Re: Upcoming MOH Award Ceremony Comment

Post by RANGER513 »

I agree, Rangermom. That should be read rather than ANYTHING slap-bama is gonna say.

Just think, you get selected to wear the M.O.H. and then you have endure a P.O.S. like slap-bama presenting it to you. :evil:
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

That the Congress authorizes the Medal of Honor and the President personally presents it, speaks in highest terms to you, yes
The "congress" and the "president" imo have not represented anything close to being on the "highest terms", as the overwhelming majority of them have never served in harms way for their country, nor do I feel that the they truly appreciate those that are tasked with executing their policy.

I choose to view the award as a "medal of honor", as opposed to the "CONGRESSIONAL medal of honor" as most of our congress have shown a lack of understanding of the meaning of honor.
merlyn
Tadpole

Post by merlyn »

Dan B 3/75 wrote:
That the Congress authorizes the Medal of Honor and the President personally presents it, speaks in highest terms to you, yes
The "congress" and the "president" imo have not represented anything close to being on the "highest terms", as the overwhelming majority of them have never served in harms way for their country, nor do I feel that the they truly appreciate those that are tasked with executing their policy.

I choose to view the award as a "medal of honor", as opposed to the "CONGRESSIONAL medal of honor" as most of our congress have shown a lack of understanding of the meaning of honor.
Well said, Ranger Dan.
507th Air Ambulance
21st Field Evac Hospital
41st MASH
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Brook Army Medical Center

I have slipped the surely bonds of Earth; put out my hand and touched the face of God.

To give less than your best is to sacrafice the gift.
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

This is exactly the way that many MOH winners have expressed their feelings. They wear and accept the Honor for all the others who served.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Dan B 3/75 wrote:[to view the award as a "medal of honor", as opposed to the "CONGRESSIONAL medal of honor" as most of our congress have shown a lack of understanding of the meaning of honor.
There's no choice about what to call it. It is not and never has been the "congressional" medal, the term was never in the founding legislation nor has "congrssional" ever been added. It is and has always been simply the Medal of Honor.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Rangermon, No, There have been a few views on this. Like myself, Some of the others on the site are most likely thinking "I have nothing to add to the accomplishments of a man receiving the MOH". I am humbled, and feel great pride knowing that people like this carry the torch.

I hope that makes sense to you. You sharing the story was enough for me.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
rgrwest
Ranger

Post by rgrwest »

I have met the man, and know he feels this way. As you have probably seen in interviews, and news write ups, he feels that it is unfair that he receives a medal and those friends gave their lives, this was a very well written statement and humbling at the same time.

Thanks for posting.

Agree with others that most of us fail in comparison to our brother who has earned so much.

Hooah.......
Rgrwest
RC 13-87
C Co, 1-504 PIR, 84-89
B Co, 5th RTB, 89-92
A, 1-501 (ABN), 93-95
C, 2-11 INF (IOBC), 95-98
HHC, 1-509 PIR, 98-02
USASMA, 02- Instructor
OIF I - Feb 03-Jul 03 (Attached OPS SGM)
USASMA, 04 - Student
HHC, 1-30 INF, 3-3 ID, 04-06 (OPS SGM)
OPSGRP, JRTC, 06-07 (TF SGM)
G3, SETAF (Vicenza, Italy) 07-09 (G3 SGM)

Return to “The Mosh Pit”