Good Military Books?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

mortar_guy78
Ranger

Re: Good Military Books?

Post by mortar_guy78 »

Old Grunt wrote:Ranger Silverback's reccomendation is an excellent choice considering your stated objectives. However, it won't do you much good until you finish OSUT ( although it's always a good idea to prepare in advance), so you might wish to begin with PAM 21-13 The Soldiers BCT Handbook, or whatever current version is being issued.
If you want to explore the philosophy of interpersonal conflict, I would suggest Musashi Miyamoto's "Book of Five Rings" (Victor Harris translation) over "Art of War", although both require intensive study and I believe your time would be better spent pursuing more basic issues, such as scoring as high as possible on your ASVAB and PT.
If you want something lighter to add to the growing list of worthy choices, try Heinlein's "Starship Troopers". It won't take up too much of your time, and I can't count the number of Veterans who've told me that this was the book that originally influenced their decision to serve.
Add another. I still love Starship Troopers.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
madslashers1-2
Ranger

Post by madslashers1-2 »

Read "Lone Survivor"
1st Plt, C Co. 2/75, OCT 02/JUN 06, (RS 09-04)
160th LRS-D, JUN 06/SEP 08
1106th TASMG, SEP 08/MAY 10
Joined the Darkside
A Co. 1/185 AR, MAY 10/Present
angry infidel
Ranger

Post by angry infidel »

Charlie Mike was a great book. I read it in high school and it's a motivator. SOG by John Plaster is one of my all time favorites. What all of those guys that ran recon in Vietnam did is humbling and makes your palms sweaty when you read about some of the pickles they shot their way out of. Somebody mentioned "On killing" - personaly I thought this one was pretty lame and the only reason I fought my way through it was because I had alot of time and nothing else to read. It's written by a female psychologist and....well, hell, I guess that about says enough about it. All of the LRRP books in the "Eyes of the Eagle" vain are really cool too. Anyways, that's my 2 cents.....Oh, Ditto on "Reflections of a Warrior" - EXCELLENT read.
LRSD, 101st ABN DIV: 94-95
Wpns Plt., C Co., 2/75th RGR RGT: 95-97
2nd Plt., C Co., 2/75th RGR RGT: 97-2000
SF: 00-PRESENT
RGR Class: 5-98
cbiwv
Tadpole

Post by cbiwv »

Charlie Rangers is a great read about a Ranger company during the Vietnam war.
2nd Armored div(FWD)1990-1992
1st Infantry div(Desert Storm)1991
101st Airborne(18th FA Bgde)1992-1994
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

angry infidel wrote:Somebody mentioned "On killing" - personaly I thought this one was pretty lame and the only reason I fought my way through it was because I had alot of time and nothing else to read. It's written by a female psychologist and....well, hell, I guess that about says enough about it.
Col. Grossman is a former West Point psychology professor, Professor of Military Science, and an Army Ranger who has combined his experiences to become the founder of a new field of scientific endeavor, which has been termed “killology.” In this new field Col. Grossman has made revolutionary new contributions to our understanding of killing in war, the psychological costs of war, the root causes of the current "virus" of violent crime that is raging around the world, and the process of healing the victims of violence, in war and peace.

Link to Bio

Definitely not a female...not sure about the particulars of his service.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

Silverback wrote:
angry infidel wrote:Somebody mentioned "On killing" - personaly I thought this one was pretty lame and the only reason I fought my way through it was because I had alot of time and nothing else to read. It's written by a female psychologist and....well, hell, I guess that about says enough about it.
Col. Grossman is a former West Point psychology professor, Professor of Military Science, and an Army Ranger who has combined his experiences to become the founder of a new field of scientific endeavor, which has been termed “killology.” In this new field Col. Grossman has made revolutionary new contributions to our understanding of killing in war, the psychological costs of war, the root causes of the current "virus" of violent crime that is raging around the world, and the process of healing the victims of violence, in war and peace.

Link to Bio

Definitely not a female...not sure about the particulars of his service.
I thought SF guys were supposed to be smart. :P

Col. Grossman, by his own admission, never actually served in combat. On the other hand, he does share a few anecdotes about Ranger School and being trained as an infantryman (enlisted and then officer) in the book "On Killing". I don't see how anyone could read the book and come away with the idea that the author was female. Edited to add- Besides the fact that the author's name is David.

There are several veterans of close combat, both military and law enforcement who lecture and publish for Killology Research Group and Warrior Science Group. I've read "On Killing" and "On Combat" a couple of times each and found them both insightful and sort of therapeutic. Both books helped me understand what went on in my head while I was in combat and afterwards. I really wish that I had read at least "On Combat" beforehand. It would have been helpful.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18

angry infidel
Ranger

Post by angry infidel »

ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT....I'm a booger eating moron. I had to go and dig the book up that I read (it was a few years ago)...I had the wrong book. The book I read was "An Intimate history of Killing" by Joanna Bourke. And for the record, the one that I read was lame. Ha, ha, ha.
LRSD, 101st ABN DIV: 94-95
Wpns Plt., C Co., 2/75th RGR RGT: 95-97
2nd Plt., C Co., 2/75th RGR RGT: 97-2000
SF: 00-PRESENT
RGR Class: 5-98
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

angry infidel wrote:ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT....I'm a booger eating moron. I had to go and dig the book up that I read (it was a few years ago)...I had the wrong book. The book I read was "An Intimate history of Killing" by Joanna Bourke. And for the record, the one that I read was lame. Ha, ha, ha.
Fair enough. :D

I still recommend "On Killing" and "On Combat". Both are excellent.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18

ski20
Tadpole

Post by ski20 »

I have just picked up the book titled "The Road to the Unafraid" by Jeff Struecker. I am not a book reader, but I finished almost half of the book in one sitting. Awesome read.

-Ski
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Jonathan Livingston Seagull
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
ski20
Tadpole

Post by ski20 »

Veteran STG, I will deffinitly have to look into that and purchase when I am done with this one. Thanks.

Ranger Slowpoke, had to read that book in highschool. Im going to go out on a limb and say your being sarcastic, and I will have to say screw that book...

-Ski
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Ski, I was only joking a little.it really is a great book, if you understand it. It's difficult to enjoy any book that's assigned reading.

Gary Dolans book "Of Their Own Accord" is an excellant book, also. Again about Charlie Company in Vietnam, it was written as fiction only because Gary didn't think anyone would beleive it.

There is also "Cyclops in the Jungle" written by another friend of mine, Dave Walker, about his experiences in my November Company.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn

Return to “The Mosh Pit”