Boots while rucking

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Saintspader
Embryo

Boots while rucking

Post by Saintspader »

Howdy Rangers,

I recently got some combat boots (Mil-Spec tactical footwear to be exact) about a size bigger than my normal shoe size for me. But whenever I ruck in them, they always seem to rub my ankle/shin area really bad, to the point of blood pouring down my leg. I had two pairs on socks on while doing that ruck also (just a 3 miler, so somethings wrong obviously). They also cause a really bad rub on the back of my foot, but I think thats from them being to big.

I don't know if they were too tight or if they are just not for me, but if one of the Rangers here has ever had this problem, I'd love to hear how you fixed it.

Also, I broke them in a few weeks before by taking a shower in them and walking around a lot. They feel fine on my feet, its just the ankle area that hurts.

Did I screw up by buying them a size bigger than I needed?
RangerX
Ranger

Re: Boots while rucking

Post by RangerX »

Saintspader wrote:Did I screw up by buying them a size bigger than I needed?
In short yes.

Friction is the enemy of your feet. Two pairs of socks = friction. Foot has extra room to move inside the boot = more friction.

The type of sock can have a great deal to do with it.

Others may give you some tips on what your best options are as far as boots. I am not really qualified.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Saintspader
Embryo

Post by Saintspader »

Thank you for your info Ranger RangerX! Yeah, they were shitty wal mart socks, so that would make sense.
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

Like X said, friction is the enemy. Also, if you are wearing standard white athletic socks, stop it right now. Get some hiking socks made of moisture wicking material. If you absolutely MUST wear something under the socks, try some thin dress socks or women's knee high nylons (no shit). They cut down on the friction.

Also, rucking boots must fit your feet fairly well, this means not only length but width as well. Try them on in the store. Make sure they don't leave too much room, but don't pinch anywhere. They should be snug, but with a bit of room for the toes (1/4 inch or so).

Now knock out 25+1. :P
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
Saintspader
Embryo

Post by Saintspader »

Roger, Ranger Motar_guy78. It has been done. So will my boots continue to work or should I just buy new ones that are my size?
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

New boots diaper boy.

And it's mortar_guy78. Mortar. As in, I shoot mortars for a living. And I was born in 1978. Get it? Knew you would.

25+1.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
merlyn
Tadpole

Post by merlyn »

Are you for real?!
507th Air Ambulance
21st Field Evac Hospital
41st MASH
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Brook Army Medical Center

I have slipped the surely bonds of Earth; put out my hand and touched the face of God.

To give less than your best is to sacrafice the gift.
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

Wool socks are the best for rucking - they take moisture away from your feet. Moisture is bad because it makes your skin extra soft (like when you get out of a shower). If you were wearing cotton socks then that is part of the issue. Stay away from scientifically ninjafied socks that claim they are super anti-blister socks because they are usually cleverly packaged cotton socks, and thus they are your enemy. I don't know how much you weigh, but depending on how thick your calf/ankle is you may want to run a second set of laces in the lower half of your boot so you can adjust the upper and lower laces separately. Use the thinnest laces you can find. Your boot should be snug but not tight when you walk, and there should be about a half an inch (read 1/2 a size) of space in the end of the boot. I hope the boots you purchased were plain old desert jungle boots because those are the best and cheapest boots to learn how to ruck in because they don't bind your ankle. Make sure when you walk that you are walking heel-toe and not dragging or scuffing your feet. That's just a sign that you are feeling sorry for yourself and it puts a ton of extra wear and tear on your whole lower body, especially your feet.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

There are several threads about boots and feet already on this forum. The search button is your friend- try some of the following key words:
Blister
Boot
Socks
Ruck March
Road March

When you have conducted a search on this forum for the preceding key words (and any extras that cross your mind) post a list of links relevant to our discussion in this thread for the edification of others in your position.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

merlyn wrote:Are you for real?!
Shut the Fuck Up Spongebob.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

merlyn
Tadpole

Post by merlyn »

Ranger GoldCoast,
Sorry for pissing you off.
It wasn't intentional....
just some of my dry humor.
Have a good one.
507th Air Ambulance
21st Field Evac Hospital
41st MASH
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Brook Army Medical Center

I have slipped the surely bonds of Earth; put out my hand and touched the face of God.

To give less than your best is to sacrafice the gift.
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Bwahaha, sponge...dry humor...bwahaha...NOT!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

GypsyRoll wrote:I've had similiar issues with a pair of boots. I've got a pair of belleville's that rub my left heel raw on any type of movement. I wear my Danners and I don't have an issue.

The inside heel of my bellevilles isn't as smooth as my danners. There's a piece of rubber that juts out a bit that rubs my heel like a motherfucker.

Any suggestions, or just fuckin drive on?
There's your answer within. Unless you can do something to offset it, chuck em and get another pair.

Another tip: if you plan on sizing your boots, put a load on and ruck a bit right before you go in to get a pair. Your feet, once swollen, will size more accurately.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

mortar_guy78 wrote:New boots diaper boy.

And it's mortar_guy78. Mortar. As in, I shoot mortars for a living. And I was born in 1978. Get it? Knew you would.

25+1.

I'm older than you?!? Fuck...I'm going to beat my head on a wall.

Oh yeah, are you sure we don't shoot Motars for a living? I shot a lot of Afghany Cars in my time. :lol:
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”