SITREP for Praetorian

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Praetorian
Future Soldier

Re: SITREP for Praetorian

Post by Praetorian »

Rangers,

I just graduated Airborne...LOVED it. Sure sitting in combat equipment for 5hours is a suckfest but jumping out of plane is the greatest experience i can imagine! Plans have changed literally in the past few hours...last day of jump week within hours of leaving for the bay the Special Forces Master Sergeant offered me a contract and I accepted. I will be heading to Fort Bragg for SOPC and Selection and have not been more excited/nervous since I was standing as the first to exit the c130 on my first jump. Just like when I was the first to jump in my chalk at Airborne...regardless of my nerves, my legs refusing to move, I will jump...I will put one foot in front of the other and give it everything I have.

thank you again for this forum and lunch Jim. Meeting Rangers like Jim is still giving me motivation to move out even during the 18th mile of my 23mile march during OSUT. I will not quit.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Geat SITREP, Mike. Stay in touch and please come by for a visit when you are in town. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Praetorian
Future Soldier

Post by Praetorian »

Rangers,

Have the time finally to do a quick sitrep on my status. I graduated SFPC or SOPC as it was known before 3weeks ago now, I was given the go to attend selection for October after completing my final 12mile and PT test. But upon returning to Bragg me and a handful of other students were told we had to attend "BSEP" to raise our GT scores before attending selection. I have a 106 and a 107 is needed, we were told by the instructors the class was so large they needed to push guys back a month and I happened to be one of those that got delayed.

I was really motivated and ready to go after SFPC and it sucks to see all my friends (most of which I found out today were selected) go on without me but I'm just PTing, studying and looking forward to next weekend when I leave! I got a 120 GT on a practice asvab so I'm on track to finally move out and I'm maintaining my PT as well. I really enjoyed SFPC and its a great course...my SFPC class started with 160 and 109 were given a GO to attend selection. Back to class and PT for another week then it finally starts.

-Mike
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Excellent SITREP, Mike. Please continue to keep us informed and never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Praetorian
Future Soldier

Post by Praetorian »

Rangers,

Selected class 03-11, 18 Echo French. Most challenging three weeks of my life...scuba road breaking ice at 1:15am was a major gut check. Now its time to recover for a few days and hit PT so I'm fully prepared for phase 1 of the Q...the only easy day was yesterday. Thanks to all the information on this board and Jim I'm home for leave until Jan2 so I would love to catch a bite to eat if you have time just let me know via PM.

-Mike
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP. PM inbound your location.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

Congrats on hanging in there. Another young warrior did the same and has since become a success story.

http://forum.armyranger.com/viewtopic.p ... 71#p679171" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Read this for motivation if needed. Continue to kick ass in the Q Course. Don't quit.
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater
Praetorian
Future Soldier

Post by Praetorian »

Quick sitrep...I've been busy since xmas. I'm technically week 5 of language but really its my second week learning French as you have gates/in processing etc in the beginning. My gates when fine...not as good as I hoped but when I attended CLT (or WLC/ALC) my run times dropped slightly. My 5 mile was 36:19, 6mile ruck was 1hour 19 min, pullups 15, PT test 292. I'm aiming to get my 5mile under 35min and my 6mile ruck down to 1hour 10min. Anyways I am really enjoying language...PT 2-3 times a day and learning French it really couldn't' be better. Keeping my nose clean and doing my best to learn French and keep my PT up...25 meter target.

-Mike
Praetorian
Future Soldier

Post by Praetorian »

Passed French and for those who are aware of the scoring in the Q I got a 1/1...but I know I can get a 1+/1+ if pushed but my interviewer on the phone didn't push the conversation. I passed all my gates minus the 5mile run...which has been delayed. Just another example of how things will change and you must adapt, we have our 5mile gate Monday morning at 2:30am when we leave for SUT/SERE at 3:30. Going to be a long few months but I'm excited and ready to learn. As an 18xray I'm behind the curve but I'm ready to be a sponge.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Praetorian wrote:Passed French and for those who are aware of the scoring in the Q I got a 1/1...but I know I can get a 1+/1+ if pushed but my interviewer on the phone didn't push the conversation. I passed all my gates minus the 5mile run...which has been delayed. Just another example of how things will change and you must adapt, we have our 5mile gate Monday morning at 2:30am when we leave for SUT/SERE at 3:30. Going to be a long few months but I'm excited and ready to learn. As an 18xray I'm behind the curve but I'm ready to be a sponge.
Excellent SITREP. Keep us informed. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Praetorian
Future Soldier

Post by Praetorian »

Rangers,

I can't believe I'm in this situation but I am...I passed out at SUT went down with "heat exhaustion". When I went into the med van I had a 106 temp...pretty disappointed right now but I'm moving on. I am being recycled into the next class and will continue on from there. More upset that I'm not with my friends getting no sleep, good training etc. I'm still in the course and will brush this aside, learn from it and drive on. Last thing I remember is coming up on an airfield and waking up in a van getting an IV...the heat, no sleep etc caught up with me I guess. Little set back but it's not going to stop me, bad sitrep but not the last.

Return to “Recruitment Process”