Air Force TACP switch to Army RANGER?

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Air Force TACP switch to Army RANGER?

Post by Earthpig »

Welcome to the site. We have a few TACP's on the site. I don't know the answer to your question, as I've been out for many years. I'm sure you'll get some good responses here when the right people come along. Best of luck, and thanks for all you're doing in the GWOT.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Welcome, I know the 75th used to have airforce TACPs attached that may be a route you would want to look into. 90k is a lot of fucking money.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome and thank you for your service. Your desire to serve as a Ranger is most appreciated. Like EarthPig I have been out of service way too long to help on your current question. Hopefully it will be answered soon.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

Welcome.
2nd squad-1st plt-C 2/75 77-78
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

I'd recommend you stick with what you've got in the Air Force and try to get a slot as a TACP in Regiment, or elsewhere within the special operations community.

I give this advice simply because the odds are stacked against you getting into Regiment. You could give up your Sergeant rank, a 90K reup bonus, over all better living conditions in the AF, and not even get a slot for RASP, or fail to meet the standard, and get stuck in some leg unit.

You need to sit down and make a realistic list of advantages and disadvantages to adopting this course of action. You don't want to go into it second guessing, and you don't want to be kicking yourself in the ass 2 years down the road.
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Well brother, chewin the dirt with Army for so long has obviously rotted your brain.:-)

But I understand the argument, especially now they are basically taking the button out of your hands. It's unfortunate though, a good, cohesive TACP is priceless for the CAS which is an integral part of what's going on in A-stan.

And I hate pencil pushers, oh yeah- no offense.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com and thanks for your service to our great country! I don't have your answer either but does appear you are giving up a lot for a future that would be uncertain even with an Opt 40 contract. I sure admire your willingness to try and become a Ranger however. I guess you will just have to see what is available to you.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

STS might be the best way to go. Hopefully, get a slot at Regiment or go to the 24th STS and play with all the 'Mobs for Jobs' and do the work and get the same slots for the hi-speed/low drag schools. Best of both worlds.

Unsolicited Old Guy advice:
You won't be 21 forever. Someday, some gal will be silly enough to marry you - the USAF will provide for you & yours much better than the Army ever will.
Take that $90K and prep for whatever selection STS offers.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

shrinksNwater wrote:I see that most of you are leaning towards the idea of staying blue and making the transition over to the STS side of the house (either CCT or SOF TACP). But in order to do this, you must get a release letter from your Unit Cmdr stating your availability to crosstrain over to either Combat Control OR attend selection for SOF TACP... And leme tell you this is a lot harder than one would think. Actually at this moment its almost impossible to do (My unit has let only one airman attend selection). Truthfully, TACP as a whole is hurting so bad due to retainabily being so LOW and the constant manning issues when it comes to conventional deployments being so HIGH that they are just pushing turds thru our technical training... In addition, this leaves Unit Cmdrs no choice but to deny airmen the opprotunity to "crossover to the darkside" and join the STS. Regardless this option just isn't the route I want to take to reach the top.

On another note a few of you bring up issues about money and rank. Neither money or rank are that big of a factor for me. I know that might sound crazy... but I'd rather be motivated and happy about my profession, then have money and be misserable.

Nevertheless... I will continue to try and get a contract one way or another.

No brother, all kidding aside I think what people are saying is follow your heart.

You probably already know that whether you are a "shooter" or not is a matter of perspective.

The question is- where will YOU make the biggest difference? If you have guys by your side now that have one less thing to worry about because they know you are on the job, then you have to consider that factor. If you are gonna spend the next four thinking you should have done something else- then take the plunge. Nobody can make that choice dude- it's ultimately all you.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

Basically I want REALISTIC training. Things I thought I'd get as a TACP.
Well.....shit.

Since you DO display passion in your chosen profession, fuck it.....go Army.

Regiment 13F's are fucking bad ass. Our FO's could call in fire from ORBIT if they had to...

HOWEVER, should you FAIL to earn a slot in Regiment and get stuck in "Big Army", well, things won't be as rosy. IF that happens though, you could STILL try out for other organizations within Army SOCOM once you have met the service obligation for your post.

The one thing the Army DOES have going for it is that there are a wide variety of units that you CAN get good training and do some cool shit that makes you WANT to get up in the morning and go to work. Between Regiment, SF, LRS, and other organizations open to NCO's, you can find something to get your blood pumping if you look, and if you want it bad enough.

Barring that, you can send a PM to . for a job with triple canopy should you just opt to ETS.

:mrgreen:

Return to “Introduction Archive”