What should I do?

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Shock
Tadpole

What should I do?

Post by Shock »

Hello Rangers!

I have come here seeking advice from people with more experience than I have.

Although a US citizen, I was drafted into the IDF in 2007 and served for over two years in a spec op unit. I went in with no experience and received a complete transformation from civilian to soldier. During some urban combat training I had the opportunity to spend some time with a few US spec op soldiers )maybe it was one of you?) and was impressed. Since I have returned to the US I have been pining for the days without food or sleep. I am volunteering to assist my country and aim to do my best, since the Rangers are the best, I aim to be a Ranger.

Like many, my issue is with drug abuse. Before I was drafted into the IDF I spent time with some people and frequently smoked marijuana frequently. As soon as I entered the IDF I stopped for over two years. Upon my return to the states I fell back in with the bad crowd and again smoked, though very infrequently.

I have spoken to a recruiter about this and he has kindly suggested that I lie about it. Now, although he seems like a great guy, I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth. Just that kind of guy.

Now, if I wait for two years and enlist when I'm 26 I can have the vast majority of my drug use left off the sf-86 and now slight use will be almost three years old, from what I understand all that would be no problem. I can take the time to become an EMT/Paramedic )becoming a socm is something I want to accomplish), taking more college courses and of course... more PT. Recently a friend of mine in the NG suggested that I enlist now as an 11B or a 68W op4 )no clearance required) spend my time becoming a better, more experienced, soldier and when the time comes put my paperwork in for RASP. He mentioned that though my drug use would be listed on the sf-86 because it was so long ago it would be fine.

Well gentlemen, I am at your mercy!

PS. If any of you are recent enough to have trained at Mitkan Adam/ 'Chicago' or were trained by IDF personnel 'elsewhere' I am still in contact with some of the people there )maybe I was there?) and they would love to hear it. throw me a PM! If you have any stories or comments about the experience. throw me a PM! want to privately berate me? you know what to do!
אל תהי בז לכל אדם, ואל תהי מפליג לכל דבר, שאין לך אדם שאין לו שעה, ואין לך דבר שאין לו מקום
Shock
Tadpole

Re: What should I do?

Post by Shock »

I realized I accidentally posted this in the wrong section, I intended to put this in the Recruitment forum! Bad way to make an impression! I will repost this, Can one of the moderators close this thread? Much appreciated.
אל תהי בז לכל אדם, ואל תהי מפליג לכל דבר, שאין לך אדם שאין לו שעה, ואין לך דבר שאין לו מקום
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

An introduction in the section is required by site SOP.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Shock
Tadpole

Post by Shock »

I attempted to post a separate intro, that one didn't make it..
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Shock wrote:I attempted to post a separate intro, that one didn't make it..
This one does fine Shock. Your other entry continues so nothing is lost.

Welcome here Shock.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Shock wrote:Now, if I wait for two years and enlist when I'm 26 I can have the vast majority of my drug use left off the sf-86 and now slight use will be almost three years old, from what I understand all that would be no problem. I can take the time to become an EMT/Paramedic )becoming a socm is something I want to accomplish), taking more college courses and of course... more PT. Recently a friend of mine in the NG suggested that I enlist now as an 11B or a 68W op4 )no clearance required) spend my time becoming a better, more experienced, soldier and when the time comes put my paperwork in for RASP. He mentioned that though my drug use would be listed on the sf-86 because it was so long ago it would be fine.
Either of these is a viable option. Lying is not. Your recruiter is in dire need of a frontal lobotomy with a butter knife.

Nice sigline.

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Most adjudicators consider maryjane on a case by case basis and many are realistic. If such usage was an enlistment killer, we wouldn't have many enlistees.

I'm assuming you are a dual citizenship holder - that is nothing new but I've heard that taking an oath to support/serve a foreign government is an issue. Is this true?

Welcome.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome. I hope you can work your way through this.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

Welcome.
2nd squad-1st plt-C 2/75 77-78
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com. I would say the Ranger centermass pretty much gave you the answer to your question. Good luck.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
linuxheels
Embryo

Post by linuxheels »

I see where you stated you fell back into the bad crowd
"Upon my return to the states I fell back in with the bad crowd and again smoked, though very infrequently."

What is so special about the U.S. Special Forces that would not cause you to fall back into what seems to be habits? I would hate to have you on my team and then all of a sudden fall back into your bad ways and bring your thug drug friends around my barracks and rip of my buddies. Just my .02

I doubt you fell back into the "wrong crowd" and smoked infrequently" as you suggest. Trust me when I tell you, you make it to the Regiment or any other fine Infantry unit and pull this "I fell back into the wrong crowd bullshit" you will will regret it when you are sitting in Korea getting fucked by some nasty whore at Camp Casey with a better bullshit story than yours.
OSUT-FORT BENNING 3/32 (JUL 1992 - OCT 1992)
C CO 1/119TH Mech Inf NCNG (DEC 1991 - MAY 1993)
C BTRY 5/5 ADA (CAMP CASEY KOREA, AUG 1993 - AUG 1994)
C BTRY 4/5 ADA (FORT HOOD, TX SEP 1994 - JUN 96)
30TH CSG NCNG (DEC 02- DEC 05)
OIF (JAN 2003 - AUG 2003)

If you take a shit, put it back
Shock
Tadpole

Post by Shock »

To everyone, thank you for the welcomes, advice, and criticism!

Centermass, there is an endless supply of wisdom if you have the discipline to learn it. Knowing where to look helps. This is 'Pirkei Avot' Chapter 4, Verse 3. A working knowledge of biblical hebrew and aramaic doesn't hurt either.

Also, the co at the recruitment station said more or less the same about my options. Though his view of lying was "You tell us what you want us to write on the form and that's what we'll write down, it's up to you what you want to write." As I have previously stated it is my full intention to be forthcoming about everything.

K.Ingraham, So I've been told. Half the country has smoked so as you say, not so many enlistees... or presidents considering the past three we've had. I'm not extremely worried about it. Especially because it is potentially two years down the road.

I am a dual citizen, though I never formally became an Israeli citizen. The day I move there I'll be granted citizenship. It's a little complicated on how it works and I'd be happy to explain it in a PM. I hold Canadian citizenship but it is not an issue I can't work around. The co at the recruiter station didn't think it would be a problem, I am also not the first IDF vet to do this, so while extremely rare I'm not the first person to go through this. My question is how I will bring over my qualified/unqualified training to the army over here, which no one seems to know about. I am trained and can teach several IDF practices that several people teach here in the US for no small sum of money )I was offered a teaching position with a privately owned company that among other contracts offers courses to various govt agencies). Most of what I learned is on the word of my officers, who would be happy to testify that I know what I know and am more than proficient.. though no one seems to think it would get that far. Any ideas?

Linuxheels, I don't think there is anything specific to the sof communities that has any pull in that area, but the army in general. I
Shock
Tadpole

Post by Shock »

Linuxheels, I apologize, my computer has a mind of it's own and decided to post for me.

Again, I don't think that there is anything special about SF or Rangers that might keep me from smoking, but the army in general. I have already made a personal decision to abstain from further use, the army will keep me further distance wise from those same people and frankly keep me more occupied time wise, all while I can do something I enjoy and give back in a way I have come to learn as vital to this country. My prior service was seen such a social stigma that it alienated me from a good portion of the community I was a part of, yet it didn't deter me from doing so. I have no problems detaching myself from the majority of these people.

You're right when doubting whether I fell into the wrong crowd or not, I would never consider these people the wrong crowd and I shouldn't have put it as such. The friends I am still in touch with are the innovators in their field, the creatives behind many of the commercials you see on TV or coupons you find in your mail. They are successful, contributing members of society who happen to commit a single legal offense. This isn't rebel without a cause. Would you stop all contact with a friend because they had a habit of running red lights? I don't know you, but I would doubt it.

My extremely infrequent use )5 times in 6 months) never stopped me from running several international media contracts at any given time and again is not something I consider an issue, I am willing to volunteer my time and services for the chance for an opportunity to serve in a great regiment and assist my country. If it were purely for thrills I could move to Israel tomorrow and start IDF reserve duty every year, no questions asked. Plenty of action for the low price of 6 weeks a year.

I don't plan on bringing up any stories of drug use if/when I enlist purely because I don't see a place for them. I also don't plan on bringing up my IDF service unless it can someway help in my situation. I didn't come here to boast, I came here for information and with much thanks to the members of this site I have already gained a good amount.

I'm sure there will always be people who look upon me like you, I just hope the sf-86 evaluator isn't one of them.

PS. I'm sorry if I seem harsh, you are of course welcome to your views, I hope you respect the right to defend myself. I meant no disrespect.
Shock
Tadpole

Post by Shock »

I have a good amount of family in california, MJ is pretty much the prescription for the common cold there!

Return to “Introduction Archive”