Strange Class A Uniform

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Silverback
Ranger

Re: Strange Class A Uniform

Post by Silverback »

FreedomXforAll wrote:Rangers,

I was in the airport in Los Angeles flying home when I noticed what appeared to be a Ranger (tan beret) waiting for his flight. He was wearing his Class A uniform, but with what appeared to be some odd tabs attached. He had an Airborne Tab, above was Special Forces Tab, above that was a red tab that looked like it said Sapper on it, and above that was a green/yellow tab that looked like it said "President's ______" I could not make out the second word. I was wondering if the Ranger's wore the Special Forces Tab, and since I did not see a Scroll, was this guy for real? His sleeve seemed very crowded with tabs, and he had a chest full of medals, but something didn't seem quite right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President%27s_Hundred_Tab" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

was this guy for real?
Doubt it...

No self respecting Ranger would wear a "sapper" tab, and Rangers don't wear "airborne" tabs.

The only pax authorized to wear a tan beret that have an "airborne" tab come from RTB, and I can't imagine any self respecting SF dude working at RTB would wear a "sapper" tab either...

Are you sure they weren't filming a movie or something, because that dude sounds like he is straight out of hollywood...
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Was the Airborne tab on his right or his left shoulder? The others?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Dan B 3/75 wrote:
was this guy for real?
Doubt it...

No self respecting Ranger would wear a "sapper" tab, and Rangers don't wear "airborne" tabs.

The only pax authorized to wear a tan beret that have an "airborne" tab come from RTB, and I can't imagine any self respecting SF dude working at RTB would wear a "sapper" tab either...

Are you sure they weren't filming a movie or something, because that dude sounds like he is straight out of hollywood...
And if he was inside an airport WEARING his beret........................ I'd have smoked his ass RIGHT THERE!
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Dan B 3/75 wrote:[No self respecting Ranger would wear a "sapper" tab, and Rangers don't wear "airborne" tabs.

I can't imagine any self respecting SF dude working at RTB would wear a "sapper" tab either...
I've seen regimental Rangers wearing the sapper tab. What is unfathomable is that a SFer or Ranger would wear sapper superior to the real tabs.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Well there was no sapper tab when I was in BUT I kinda equate it with Air Assault wings.................. :roll: :lol:
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

Well there was no sapper tab when I was in BUT I kinda equate it with Air Assault wings..................

...and skirts.

:mrgreen:
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

FreedomXforAll wrote:Ranger Silverback: That was the tab exactly. Very prestigious.

Ranger Dan B 3/75: I'm pretty sure there was no movie being filmed, he was just standing near his gate talking to some people.

Ranger cams: If I remember correctly, they were all on his left side, because of my angle to him I could not see his right sleeve. They looked very crowded to me.
Roger. Sure sounds fishy then.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Correct me if I am wrong Rangers and fellow Grunt NCOs....isn't there a reg against the wearing more than three tabs? I want to say that the only people Army wide with an exemption from this is 10th Mountain LRS guys, and that's only because Mountain is a part of their unit patch. I could be recalling incorrectly, since it's been a while since I read the uniform regs...but still.

I also agree about the wear of the sapper tab, and the order of precedence for them. I call Bullshit.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Reiver
Ranger

Post by Reiver »

Unit SSI? (Patch to some). What would have been below the "tabs" resembled what?

New Service Uniform, or old Service Uniform? If you can access the site you can SEARCH the difference.
V/R...Reiver sends

Course 5-78
B/2-75th INF, 1976-79
Ft Bragg, NC, 1981-2006
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

IEDmagnet wrote:Correct me if I am wrong Rangers and fellow Grunt NCOs....isn't there a reg against the wearing more than three tabs? I want to say that the only people Army wide with an exemption from this is 10th Mountain LRS guys, and that's only because Mountain is a part of their unit patch. I could be recalling incorrectly, since it's been a while since I read the uniform regs...but still.

I also agree about the wear of the sapper tab, and the order of precedence for them. I call Bullshit.
AR 670-1 covers it.

Max of 3. Tabs such as 10th Mtn, Pershing etc are considered temp unit wear and are not covered by Group 4, meaning there could be a 4th per unit assigned, not Skill Tab.

And for future reference, most everyone has a cell phone with a camera. Ask the hero next time if you can get a picture. Tell him you've always wanted to join the Army. If you look innocent enough and present it the same way, most potential posers won't have a problem with it. Just make sure you get a clear, concise pic of the item (s) in question without making it obvious and possibly a name to go along with it. DON'T post the name in the open, but hang onto it for later reference if it's needed. Include a face pic as well.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Thanks Ranger Centermass, my mind is failing me in plenty of ways. Unfortunately memory is the first out the door. Thought that was the case though.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
RngrDoc75
Ranger

Post by RngrDoc75 »

What Ranger would wear Class A's in airport if he did not have to? What cool guy with all those bells and whistles would wear Class A's in an airport?
RngrDoc75
Ranger Medic, 75th RGR Regt
1990-1995 at 1/75
1995 to 2012 at RHQ
2012 to 2015 at USSOCOM
2015 to Present CoTCCC/Joint Trauma System

if you can do the math and have been in the Regt medical team in those years, then you probably know who I am...

Dominatus Comminus Rememdium
"Mastery in Close Combat Medicine"

Return to “The Mosh Pit”