Combat Conditioning

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Narrow Gauge RR
Tadpole

Combat Conditioning

Post by Narrow Gauge RR »

Has anyone tried the combat conditioning program from Matt Furey? I haven't ordered the video but I have started doing some of the Hindu push ups and one leg squats along with my regular p/u's. Those hinu's will friggin burn ya.....I can only do about 10 or 12 of those verses around 50 regular push-ups. if any of y'all have the video is it worth it?
...I turned down their dope. And I turned down their stupid trends. And the hippies always hated me, because they were preaching peace and love and I was loading a .44 magnum.
Ted Nugent

What's a fart? A turd honking for right of way.
SRR2R
Tadpole

Post by SRR2R »

Placebo, thanks for the great link.
"Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier..." - Samuel Johnson

From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and violent men take it by force.
-Matthew 11:12
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

edit
Last edited by BadMuther on July 11th, 2004, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Flesh thorn posted this awhile back:
http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4104

The link in there is old, here's the new one:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459922
Narrow Gauge RR
Tadpole

That's some great info..I appreciate it Placebo and Ranger BadMuther :mrgreen: I have a membership to local gym but the equipment in it is beat all to hell so I like to do bodyweight stuff around the house. About all I can do at the gym is deadlifts and arm work...all the leg machines and benches are beat.

Another question...I know from my reading that they do something similar to hindu push-ups...called dive bombers I think, in SEAL training. Do the Rangers use these in pt or do they stick with regular push-ups?
...I turned down their dope. And I turned down their stupid trends. And the hippies always hated me, because they were preaching peace and love and I was loading a .44 magnum.
Ted Nugent

Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Gauge wrote:That's some great info..I appreciate it Placebo and Ranger BadMuther :mrgreen: I have a membership to local gym but the equipment in it is beat all to hell so I like to do bodyweight stuff around the house. About all I can do at the gym is deadlifts and arm work...all the leg machines and benches are beat.

Another question...I know from my reading that they do something similar to hindu push-ups...called dive bombers I think, in SEAL training. Do the Rangers use these in pt or do they stick with regular push-ups?
When I was in we didn't do that queer ass shit, in PT we did pushups in normal fashion, get in trouble (which is very easy to do when you first get to Regiment) and you damn well better elevate them feet off the ground (even if somebody has to hold them up for you), we used to refer to it as pushin up Georgia.

Before I went to RIP I never did a push up that wasn't elevated, (never did one that wasn't after I got there as well now that I think about it, lol). I also did them with my ruck sack on so that I would build up even more muscle and endurance. I simply put my feet on top of a chair and knocked out as many as I could do. I read now-a-days about all these high speed videos and stuff, however I'm old fashioned and I'll tell you that nothing will ever take the place of good old fashioned workouts. Run farther and faster than you expect to do, do pushups in the morning, during the day when you could be jerkin off, and make it the last thing you do before you hit the rack. Do the side stradle hop (jumping jacks) 50, 80, and 100 4 counts (that will help prevent you from gettin shin splints), situps, DO'em, to hell with that fancy weightlifting equipment at the gym. Get on the floor bend your knee's, feet together and flat on the ground and knock'em out. Do pull ups as well with both hands facing away and hands facing towards you. And if you're still a civilian (as it sounds like you are), if you live in an area that has hills, and you have a backpack. Load it up with some weight and start walkin up it. Plain and simple.

Endurance is the key, you'll see plenty of musclebound freaks drop by the way side quicker than you can fart after a can of beans. Its those who are "lean" and "mean" who usually end up makin it at the end of the day.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Narrow Gauge RR
Tadpole

Thanks for the advice Ranger BeadleBug. I agree they are some faggy looking push-ups,lmao! I I already do elevated push-ups but I will start doing more of those...to me they seem easier than regular push ups anyway. I have an ALICE pack and frame so I'm gonna start loading it up with sand bags and rucking with it. I live in Louisiana but there's still some pretty good hills around here plus it's getting hot now so I should get myself in shape pretty quick. One exercise I found on the sites posted was the back bridge...we used to do those in football practice and I'd forgotten about 'em but they are great for lower back and core strength, they also build your neck muscles up. The main thing I need to work on is my running and pull-ups so that's what I'm gonna concentrate on
Ted Nugent

Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

Thanks for all the info Ranger BeadleBug.

~Joseph
ChipOnShoulder

combat conditioning

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Ever wonder why muscles used to appear and hurt that you never knew existed during field problems? They appeared because traditional conditioning programs fail to truly prepare soldiers for combat. I would suggest a combination of the following.

Multiple obstacle courses WITH SHOOTING and reloading involved. We used to call these stress shoots.

Bayonet drills and courses.

Running with Rucksacks or at least assault packs. Do some sprints with them as well.

swimming with gear on.

Rope climbing and pull ups.

Endurance type events. Within reason.

Reasoning: When we went to Panama for Jungle warfare school almost all of the PT heros turned out to be field zeros in our platoon. At the end of jungle school, the only guys left that did not have to be hauled out of the jungle prematurely were the Rangers with a little meat on thier bones, guys who could not run 50 miles in 20 minutes, guys who had just a little more than -5000% body fat. Most did not have tabs, and many E-4's were temporary squad leaders. Guys who are in condition to the point of olympic athletes generally did not do too well in the field. The officers and Senior NCO's loved them though. High PT test scores, looked good in uniforms, could pass schools etc.. The guys who used to prevail were the "Tanks" not the "Ferraris". Damned ugly too........

PS: I know I am going to catch hell from other but this was god's truth to what I observed. Interesting............

Lots of TLC

Doc Cook
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

Falling out still comes down to mostly mental conditioning. I was older than most of the other Rangers and most were PT studs. But I just wouldn't quit, no matter what. Did I want to quit at times, hell yes but you can't let your mind take over. Your body can go a lot further than your mind will let it.

While I do say conditioning very important, mental will and conditioning is more important.

Ranger2

Return to “About Army Physical Training”