Introduction

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

NC Ranger dad
Embryo

Introduction

Post by NC Ranger dad »

Rangers, Veterans, Soldiers, Parents and all others here on this Ranger Forum …

Heartfelt Greetings to you all …

I seat myself to send you these few Introductory Lines, hoping they find each of you well. They are quite a long time coming your way for, until last Friday, I felt I had no standing to be worthy to offer a post to this Forum. Not so now …

For many years (can’t recall the exact number - but closer to ten than five), I have read This Forum regularly and found great insight, wisdom, and righteous humor among the various posts. Thus, I believe I fall among what, on Talk Radio, is ID’ed as a
“… long time listener, first time caller …”.

It was my Great Fortune last Friday, 21May, to be present at Hurley Hill for the graduation of Ranger Class 06-10 which included my son. It surely, and without question, ranks among the greatest days of my life – not based on anything I have done – but, rather, for the opportunity to be present among such Great Citizens, Soldiers, Warriors and Men. I was truly proud and blessed to be amongst ‘em … and most especially proud to be with my newly Ranger-qualified son, to pin on his Black and Gold Ranger Tab, and to share with him his happiness and success in reaching that long-time goal.

I assume (dangerous as that is, especially among this Group), the purpose of this Introductory Section of the Forum is for each of you to be able put some “meat on the bones” of those to whom you offer the Privilege of posting. Accordingly, I offer each of you the following by way of My Introduction:

Although I am a Virginia native, I have lived in North Carolina for over thirty-five years. Home for the past twenty-five years is north of Charlotte in the Lake Norman area, but my wife and I also spend some time in Sackets Harbor, NY (near Ft. Drum). This year is my 56th and neither I nor my son has siblings. I suppose I am what passes these days for a “…near-original American ...”, being part of a straight “father-son-father-son” line that, dates back to the 1630s here in America. Within that direct ancestral line (my grandfather was born in 1859), there have been only three Soldiers. The first fought under General Washington, rose to the rank of SGT, was wounded at Brandywine, and survived not only the British but also two of three wives – dying at the ripe old age of eighty-eight. The second, a High Private, fought under General Lee, having been drafted in 1864 after his sixteen year old son took his father’s place in the Army two years prior. That son surrendered at Appomattox; the drafted father (my great-grandfather) was killed 30March1865 during the Confederate retreat from Petersburg.

The third Soldier, and the first officer in that 380 year father-son ancestral line, is my son who graduated last Friday with Ranger Class 06-10. That graduation ceremony was almost exactly one year following his graduation from USMA at West Point. (For the record, I was the first in my family to go to college – he was the second.) I am hopeful he will, in time, be considered a “good” cherry LT (if there is such a thing). I have no doubt he will listen and learn from the NCOs and will give his all to the troops for whom he is responsible. He is a Good Man.

As for me, I registered for the draft in 1972 and was classified 1-A (still have my card). However, even though I was assigned a number from the lottery, the draft was suspended the following year and I was never called. My working life was spent doing financial stuff, having been advised in my second year of college (by way of organic chemistry) that I was “…to stupid to be a doctor …”. I am presently retired and hope by the grace of God (and some good fortune) to remain so. I am happily married to my third, and last, wife … A Good Woman. My first wife – the Mother of my Ranger son and, herself a Fine, Fine Woman – died from cancer at age thirty-three; my son was then two and I was thirty-five. In between, I was married for a short time (but seemed like forever) to the Anti-Christ … I suspect some of you here have met her … or, her sister.

And so it is from that background I humbly present myself to all Forum members and, especially, to you Rangers. I trust you find this brief Introduction sufficient. If not, having read this Forum for many years, I am certain I will soon be advised of any shortcomings. Rest assured I will address them. Know also that I will adhere to Forum rules and will do my level best to be a worthwhile parent member.

Thank You, Rangers, not only for Your Service, but also for keeping this Forum going for so long. There must be many more out there who you do not know about that, like me, have read and benefited from Your Posts and Your Thoughts.

There you have it. Please know that I have only the Highest Regard for Your Service and Your Sacrifice. Keep up the Good Work – you never know who is reading – and may Grace, Fortune, and Good Whiskey find You All.

Thank You for the Privilege of allowing me to join this Forum.

NC Ranger dad

PS If anyone has specific info regarding the recorded music that was/is played prior to beginning of the Ranger Skills Demo which precedes the graduation ceremony, please let me know. With the excitement of Tab pinning, I forgot to ask one of the 4th RTB personnel present. It was some kick-ass music, very well selected for the occasion, and I’d love to have it to enjoy and remember!
NC Ranger dad

The goal of one’s journey through life should not be to travel carefully so as to arrive at The End in a well preserved body. Rather, one should live Boldly and strive to skid-in sideways, smiling but completely worn out, while shouting, “WHEW … That was a HELLUVA Ride !!”
Bravo57
Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by Bravo57 »

Welcome to the site
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
rgrwest
Ranger

Post by rgrwest »

Welcome and thank you for raising a warrior. Looks like the Army might be in some capable hands.
Rgrwest
RC 13-87
C Co, 1-504 PIR, 84-89
B Co, 5th RTB, 89-92
A, 1-501 (ABN), 93-95
C, 2-11 INF (IOBC), 95-98
HHC, 1-509 PIR, 98-02
USASMA, 02- Instructor
OIF I - Feb 03-Jul 03 (Attached OPS SGM)
USASMA, 04 - Student
HHC, 1-30 INF, 3-3 ID, 04-06 (OPS SGM)
OPSGRP, JRTC, 06-07 (TF SGM)
G3, SETAF (Vicenza, Italy) 07-09 (G3 SGM)
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

Welcome, justifiably Proud Dad; and thank you for raising a Patriotic son who, as a member of The Long Gray Line, is now a Ranger Warrior.
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

We, Sir, are the ones who are honored. It is people like YOU that gives us reasons to wear a Ranger Scroll.

Welcome to the site, long-time-lurker ! :lol:
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com Sir! Thank you very much for doing a wonderful job of raising your son. Give him my thanks for his service to our great country.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome and thank you for your patriotism; it shines through your son. You are justifiably proud.

Long introduction, well done and an interesting read.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
NC Ranger dad
Embryo

Post by NC Ranger dad »

Thanks to each of you that have posted for your kind words. I am humbled ...

NC Ranger dad
NC Ranger dad

The goal of one’s journey through life should not be to travel carefully so as to arrive at The End in a well preserved body. Rather, one should live Boldly and strive to skid-in sideways, smiling but completely worn out, while shouting, “WHEW … That was a HELLUVA Ride !!”
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Welcome and congrats! I had my tab pinned on by Ranger School Cadre as did most of the Rangers from the Ranger Battalions. I sure wish I'd invited my dad now though! Great job!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

nice intro, thanks for raising a warrior.

so when is he joining?
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
NC Ranger dad
Embryo

Re: Joining

Post by NC Ranger dad »

Ranger KW Driver -

My hope is he joins soon, for it was he who pointed me to ArmyRanger.com and the Forum years ago when he was still a chap.

However, right now he's packing boxes to get out of Ft. Benning and on to his initial duty Post, so I suspect his focus is elsewhere at the moment.

Will do my best to get him to the Board "officially" but ... as you know better than I ... Rangers move at their own pace and in their own direction and I am afraid my Dictatorial Days are long past - as well they should be! Definately can't lay a whuppin' on him ... that's for certain!

Thank You for the kind words - and for Your Service.

NC Ranger dad
NC Ranger dad

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome & Congratulations for raising a warrior son.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Introduction Archive”