couple of questions regarding both the Rangers and Airborne

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

BlitzSchute
Egg

couple of questions regarding both the Rangers and Airborne

Post by BlitzSchute »

Hello

I am a future 13F heading out to Ft. Sill this summer. I can't really get a definite answer on a few things.

My contract is for 3 years. If I enjoy getting my feet wet in the Army, I am considering re-enlisting as 11X option 40 at the end of my enlistment. However, an acquaintance of mine told me that this is only available to new recruits and is not an reenlistment option. I would like this verified.

On another note: I've suddenly become interested in Airborne and jumping out of perfectly good planes. Is this possible for a 13F? Option 4 wasn't available at the recruiting station nor MEPS, and I'm kind of in a hurry to get into the Army after this college semester, so waiting and playing games with my recruiter wasn't really an option. But it has become something I've been so interested in that I'm worried. What are my options? The only things I've heard is that if it's not in your contract, then you better get good PT scores and then just maybe you can fill a slot in OSUT. Then I heard that you're SOL after that.

Thank you for your time
colt1rgr
Ranger

Re: couple of questions regarding both the Rangers and Airbo

Post by colt1rgr »

As the one time Senior 13F in the 75th Ranger Regiment I'd say "yes, it is possible". Tell your recruiter you wanna be an Airborne Ranger (Beret wearin', commie killin' Regimental idol of millions) and that you are ONLY enlisting for 13F with Airborne Ranger option. Since I was where you are 24 years ago I encourage you to do so. There is no finer job in the US Army than to be a Ranger FO. Hold your ground and good luck.
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
BlitzSchute
Egg

Post by BlitzSchute »

I will try to see if I can wiggle Airborne into my contract before I ship (July 20th). I would be okay with being a regular 13F as well. I am only worried right now because it seems like there is no way to become Airborne or Ranger down the road. It seems the Army is racist to re-enlisters as far as options go.

P.S. I am only interested in regular Airborne as a 13F and for only this 3 year contract. I do not feel I am ready for the Rangers as the process seems grueling and I want to guarantee success. That is why I want to consider that after I have experience in the Army and am in tip top condition. So there is no way to re-enlist to go to RIP?
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

It is possible to reup for the Regiment, but that is an entirely different set of regs, they won't call it an "opt.40" but if you meet the requirements and you apply at a time when your reenlistment matches a pending opening, you'll be good to go.
Better to try to renegotiate your contract. Otherwise, do extremely well in OSUT in all aspects and contact the 75th liason NCO before leaving Sill, 3-5 weeks before leaving Sill. Regimental recruiting points of contact are found under the 75th Ranger Regt page under 'tenant units' at the Ft Benning website. If you're smart enough to be a FO, then you'll figure out the trail of breadcrumbs I just left you.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

BlitzSchute wrote:I will try to see if I can wiggle Airborne into my contract before I ship (July 20th). I would be okay with being a regular 13F as well. I am only worried right now because it seems like there is no way to become Airborne or Ranger down the road. It seems the Army is racist to re-enlisters as far as options go.

P.S. I am only interested in regular Airborne as a 13F and for only this 3 year contract. I do not feel I am ready for the Rangers as the process seems grueling and I want to guarantee success. That is why I want to consider that after I have experience in the Army and am in tip top condition. So there is no way to re-enlist to go to RIP?
Welcome to the site. Please read the site ROE I'm sending you via private message prior to posting again.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome and thank you for your desire to serve.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

You definately need to make some decisions on what your actual priorities are. A) Do you want to go in right now, without renegotiating, and possibly not get a chance to go to Airborne School or the Regiment. Or. B) Renegotiate, insist on an Option 40, and possibly having to wait a few months for the spot to open up. Remember recruiters only job is to get people in to jobs that have current openings. If they can talk you in to leaving now, in a position that you may not truly want, they will do it.

However you are the one that has to live with the consequences. So choose wisely grasshopper.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
BlitzSchute
Egg

Post by BlitzSchute »

As a fresh 21 year old with no military experience nor at maximum possible physical condition, I feel I am not ready for the Regiment. Right now, I want to join the Army, get a taste of combat arms (decided on 13F between original aspirations of either 11B, 13F, or 19D) and see how it goes. My plan is to re-enlist in the direction of the Rangers when the time comes. I have no desire for option 40 at all right now, only option 4, which is airborne school. But it's not the end of the world for me if I don't get it soon. I am simply happy knowing that the Rangers may be available upon re-enlistment. The re-enlistment term starts 1 year before ETS, correct? The fiscal year should be in its infancy by the time that comes, and will hopefully help me find a slot. I will fight for it if needed. OR as someone put it in another thread I read today "Stand on [my] CSM's desk."

Thank you Rangers for your help and I have decided this is my path.

Return to “Introduction Archive”