Noriega exported to France.

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Noriega exported to France.

Post by K.Ingraham »

For you OJC vets:

U.S. extradites Noriega to France

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. extradited former Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega to France on Monday, clearing the way for him to stand trial there on money laundering charges.
The former strongman, who was being held in a federal prison in Miami, was on an Air France flight to Paris, according to a Department of Justice source who spoke anonymously because he was not authorized to comment on the case.

Yves Leberquier, one of Noriega's lawyers, confirmed Noriega was headed to France.

"When he arrives he will be presented to the prosecutor and notified of the arrest warrant, and he will confirm his opposition" to the warrant, Leberquier said.

After that, at some point Tuesday, Noriega will be presented to a Paris judge who will determine whether he should stay in custody pending further action. Leberquier said Noriega's lawyers will push for that hearing to be open "so that the defense can be totally transparent."

Full story:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2010 ... htm?csp=34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or:

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/04/ ... ition.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
RANGER513
Ranger

Re: Noreiga exported to France.

Post by RANGER513 »

France !!!????

Have him get off the plane waving a White Flag and he will be greeted with open arms & love. 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

I think the issue is that he comes up on paerole or release in the U.S. soon. This way he may get up to life in France and end up on some island like the one Papilion was on.... Nevertheless, he goes from almost getting out to a possible 10 year maybe more term in France. I'm on a wait and see for now.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Understand he has been taken into custody. He faces up to ten years for money laundering. Oh, and he could face charges in Panama, too.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

And to think a 60 cent bullet could have avoided all this hassle.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

hobbit wrote:And to think a 60 cent bullet could have avoided all this hassle.
I made that suggestion a year before the invasion.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

hobbit wrote:And to think a 60 cent bullet could have avoided all this hassle.

Damn good statement right there !

Wish we would have got 'em within H+2 ......would have made the trip much more enjoyable.
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Whenever this fuck comes up in discussion, Im always reminded how our Govt whores itself out from one administration to the next. The "Johns" change every decade or so. "who are we going to get into bed with next?"

Then in a few years, we'll invade his country and throw him into prison.......for doing what we told him to do. What we paid him to do. What we wanted him to do to get what we need.

"what have you done for me lately" comes to mind.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
RangerX
Ranger

Re: Noriega exported to France.

Post by RangerX »

The problem with Noriega is that he went off the rails and starting acting independently. Can't have that. Also, I think the coke fried his brain and he forgot who he was dealing with.

I still maintain that he and Saddam would have been great cell mates.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

21 Dec 89: In bunkers aound the world, petty potentates made notes to self: "Do not declare war on nations 600 times larger than yourself".
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

RangerX wrote:The problem with Noriega is that he went off the rails and starting acting independently. Can't have that. Also, I think the coke fried his brain and he forgot who he was dealing with.

Looking at the big picture, ya hit the nail on the head, Brother.

All Noriega had to do was keep the hole beneath his nose closed and continue to " play " nicely with the suits in Washington D.C. and he probably would have been o.k. ( Don't know though........saw some really wierd shit in his house ! )

However, the fact that we where about to loose possession of the canal just prior to 12-20-89 might have been another reason for the shot-callers in D.C. to send us South.

But then again, it was winter, and very rainy up in 2nd Batt land. Had to come up with a good reason to enjoy some sun, I guess. 8)
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Yeah, there are lots of geo-political reasons that are still well above my pay grade as to why Manny had to take a dive. But hey fuckit, it was a hell of a ride and I would still do it again in a heartbeat.

The one thing I still remember more than anything was the conversations with the jefe of a little village we did patrols in after the initial pandemonium. Stories of the "Panama City Beauty Contests" and other such fuckery that made me realize that no matter what the fuckwits in D.C. were thinking, there was still satisfaction to be had in kicking the teeth in of some penny ante assholes that made folks miserable.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

RangerX wrote:Yeah, there are lots of geo-political reasons that are still well above my pay grade as to why Manny had to take a dive. But hey fuckit, it was a hell of a ride and I would still do it again in a heartbeat.

The one thing I still remember more than anything was the conversations with the jefe of a little village we did patrols in after the initial pandemonium. Stories of the "Panama City Beauty Contests" and other such fuckery that made me realize that no matter what the fuckwits in D.C. were thinking, there was still satisfaction to be had in kicking the teeth in of some penny ante assholes that made folks miserable.

Damn right, Brother !
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

Return to “The News Dump”