Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

EV22
Embryo

Introduction

Post by EV22 »

For now, I'd like to keep all my information private. I am in my early 20's and have decided that when I turn 26 or 27 that I will be joining the military. Ever since I was younger I have wanted to join the military but never actually thought I would have the balls to go through with it. Well, it's become apparent to me that I will always regret the decision if I let it pass me by.

I do not want to join the Marine Corps, or the standard US Army regiments (or cavalries?), only the Rangers. From playing team sports (ice hockey/lacrosse), or even paintball-- to pulling pranks, (unharmful) I have always formulated plays or plans in my head to best complete a task. I have a bachelors degree from a 4-year university and am also extremely agile.

There were a few issues I was concerned with:

I was never fond of rollercoasters, but I heard jumping out of a plane is not like that at all. Even if it was, I would not let that stop me and I would just force myself.
But, after watching/reading about ranger school for a while, I have noticed that a decent amount of people get injured in Ranger school, one of my main concerns was the 30foot high beam you walk across during the WCT @ Victory Pond.
-I was just wondering how wide the beam itself was? That is my only legitimate issue with what I have seen with the school. I do have good balance but being up that high could disorient people with their footing, and if someone does fall, fall like a pencil as to not hurt their neck? What I'm basically asking is what was that experience like?

Thank you for any answers Rangers.
Much respect,
EV22
EV22
Embryo

Re: Introduction

Post by EV22 »

After re-reading my post, I'd like to state that I am 24 in a few months. I do not want to make it seem as though I am putting this off. If you are wondering, the age of 26/27 is where I will feel comfortable giving my life for our country.
fusion94
Tadpole

Post by fusion94 »

EV22 wrote:After re-reading my post, I'd like to state that I am 24 in a few months. I do not want to make it seem as though I am putting this off. If you are wondering, the age of 26/27 is where I will feel comfortable giving my life for our country.
There's a comfortable age for that? That makes absolutely no fucking sense to me whatsoever. You cannot really state that "I'm not comfortable to do that now but will be able to do so in 2.5-3 years".

While I may not have some of the credentials that others here have I can say that I was willing to lay down my life for my country and for my brothers but I'm also fairly certain that I would have never used the term "comfortable giving my life for our country".
Scout/Snipers CSC 4/502 Infantry Berlin Brigade - (1986-1988)
Scout/Snipers HHC 3/7 Infantry 24th ID - (1989-1991)
Operation Desert Shield/Storm - (1990-1991)
Detachment 1, Company B, 1/20th SFG(A) (1991-1992) (NQP)
666th Ordnance Company (EOD), 1992-1994
EV22
Embryo

Post by EV22 »

Before I respond, understand that I have the utmost respect for you. This doesn't mean I am going to say, "Oh, it's ok that I die now, so I will be reckless." At this point in my life I wish to keep living my life as a normal civilian; The way I feel is that when I reach that age, I will do something I've always wanted to do, as well as fulfilling what I want to do with my life now.

I have the attitude that the second I step foot onto one of the five US Army training sites, I will be willing to take a bullet for the man next to me. I'm sorry if that doesn't make sense to anyone else, but that's the way I feel and can't stray from it.
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Speaking for myself, the military is not the secret service, nobody expects you to take a bullet for them. They expect you to fully participate, both mind and body, in training to be the best you can be as part of a team that is accomplishing whatever task is at hand.

When the time comes for combat you execute your duties as a team member. The object is the successful completion of your mission. Part of that success is getting everyone back alive and well through that teamwork. Yes you will be risking life and limb along with everyone else. When the time comes you may put yourself at greater risk to aid or support a team member, they will do the same for you. Without this implicit trust you do not have a team.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome. As far as I kow, no one has died falling off the log over Victory Pond. Now take a deep breath and read and heed the ROE PM I have sent you. Also be sure to read at least a few pages of introduction posts to get a feel for the way things operate around here.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “Introduction Archive”