Weightlifting balanced with PT

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
shootingman99
Embryo

Weightlifting balanced with PT

Post by shootingman99 »

Rangers,

For a while I have been following this weightlifting routine:

http://www.vicjg.com/aspx/madcowint.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have increased my lifts quite a bit:

All lifts at 6 foot 190 17 years old

Deadlift: 335x1 to 360x5 (will be 370x5 soon) calculated 1rm: 420
1 handed deadlift: 205x3 (no straps), 255x5 straps
Squat: 285x1 to 295x3 (will be 5 soon) Calculated 1rm: 325
Bench: 215x3 to 235x3 Calculated 1rm: 260
Military press: maybe 125x5 to 150x5 Calculated 1rm: 175
Row: something like 135x8 to 195x5 Calculated 1rm: 225
Dips: nothing to 2x4x60
Db skullcrushers: nothing to 45's x10
Front squats: 205x3 to 225x5 Calculated 1rm: 260

But with all this lifting I haven't been doing much pt at all. So I'm thinking that when I start a new weight routine I will do 3 days a week lifting, and 3-5 days running. On "off" weightlifting days, I am thinking of doing pullups, pushups, situps, running, etc, with some running done on lifting days.

So my question is, will my recovery be messed up, ie will this be too much? I have found that I improve really quickly in pt scores as I have good strength right now.

Here are my pt scores:
Pushups 2 minutes: 78
Situps 2 minutes: 68
Run time: 13:40 2 miles
Pullups: 14 deadhang

I used to be running 2 miles in 14 minutes as a warmup for workouts and doing 96 solid pushups in 2 minutes, but that was in the summer before I started lifting. Obviously I need to work on my endurance for pt scores, but I love lifting and it is a huge part of my life so I want to balance it with pt. One more question: I know the army emphasizes bodyweight exercises and running, but is there time in the Rangers for lifting?

Thanks,

Trevor
snafu
Ranger

Re: Weightlifting balanced with PT

Post by snafu »

shootingman99 wrote: but is there time in the Rangers for lifting?

Thanks,

Trevor

This shouldn't be your concern right now but to answer your question...yes.

You need to strike a balance between weights and bodyweight exercises. If you're looking to change it up then do weights for a muscle group one day, 1-2 days rest, then do the same muscle group with no weights. You should be running at least 3 days per week. a 5 miler, a 2-3 miler, and some sort of sprint work out.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Your 1RMs don't mean shit when it comes to a PT test.

The thing about exercise programs and best routines is that there is no shortage of opinions. That and the fact that what works best for any individual is what works best for them, not necessarily what works for someone else. My dime's worth of advice is to not run as a warm prior to weight lifting, warm up with light weight on the exercises you're going to do. And to run only on days that you don't lift.

Your pull-ups are good, your PT score for push-ups is good and getting just a few more reps will get you where you need to be. You need a lot of improvement on sit-ups and running. Your weight-routine seems to be focused on power-lifting. If that's what you want fine, but that's not going to get you where you want to be. No PT test event scores you on your 1RM or how many pounds you can do on a set of 3 or 5.

Think about a higher rep range like 10 to 12 or even 12 to 15. In this way, you will build muscle endurance and strength to a lesser degree, ant that would help you perform better on the PT test. I also see no direct ab work with weights. Do some crunches with weight plates on your chest.

More is not always better, especially with exercise. Many times you just set yourself up for injuries, especially with low rep work. Leave your ego at the door when you lift. Focus on form, not numbers. I see no porblem with you doing a PT test plus pull-ups on the days your not lifting.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
fusion94
Tadpole

Post by fusion94 »

shootingman99 wrote:All lifts at 6 foot 190 17 years old
First of all, you're right at your max weight allowed for your age and height. In the 17-20 age group for males the max allowable body-fat percentage is 20%.

Soldiers who exceed the weight charts are measured for body-fat. Those who exceed the Army body-fat standards are enrolled in the Army Weight Management Program. Those in the weight management program must lose between 3 and 8 pounds per month until they meet body-fat standards. Those who fail to make satisfactory progress are subject to involuntary discharge.

Individuals who exceed body-fat standards are ineligible for promotion, professional military education, most non-mandatory training schools, and reenlistment.

The Army still uses the tale of the tape to determine body-fat percentages. Essentially they measure your abdomen and neck to determine body-fat percentage. You can find out more about the process by reading up on Army Regulation 600-9.

Having said all that I'm not saying you're fat or fall outside the body-fat standards. I was generally always taped during my time in the Army but due to having a huge ass neck I never had to be concerned with the issue. It's just something that from the sounds of things you might have to be concerned about.

Now to the real deal. Weightlifting can augment your workout routine. However you should be concerned with endurance. Period. We've all soldiered with someone in the past that was a gym rat. They were able to lift huge amounts, always looked good, etc etc. Put them on a 5-7 mile run however and they sucked wind the whole time and more times than not they failed to complete the run with their unit.

A 2 mile run is the standard for the APFT but it's just a standard. During my time in the Army we never ran less than 3 miles (unless it was sprint training) during morning PT whether that PT was conducted at the squad, platoon, company, or battalion level.

I would focus more on improving your 2 mile run times as well as building up cardiovascular endurance for those runs that are going to be 3-7 miles in length.
Scout/Snipers CSC 4/502 Infantry Berlin Brigade - (1986-1988)
Scout/Snipers HHC 3/7 Infantry 24th ID - (1989-1991)
Operation Desert Shield/Storm - (1990-1991)
Detachment 1, Company B, 1/20th SFG(A) (1991-1992) (NQP)
666th Ordnance Company (EOD), 1992-1994
shootingman99
Embryo

Post by shootingman99 »

Rangers,
Thanks a lot for the great suggestions you gave!

Ranger Snafu:
I'll definitely be trying to run a MINIMUM of 3 days a week, I think maybe on the sprint day I will do sprints then get down do pushups and situps, then sprint more, so sort of a circuit thing. I like the idea of doing 2 miles one day, then 5 miler, etc.

Ranger Bill:
Yes I know my style of lifting is not very helpful for pt, but it is a hobby for me, I love getting stronger. So I don't do it for Army fitness, that's why I am trying to figure out when to get my army fitness done. It sounds like you think doing pt on off days shouldn't be a problem, so that is great. I was just a little worried about over doing it, but I often rock climb and do pullups on off days and it felt fine. As for direct ab work, in my opinion deadlifts are a massive core worker, when I first pulled 365x4 my abs were sore for 3 days. I used to 3x10 situps with 100 pounds on my chest good form but it just wasn't doing much for me. I might do situps with a 45 pounds plate on my forehead thoguh, that tends to force your core to work much harder than if the weight is on your chest. Also, the lifts I posted are not all the ones I do, just the major ones. Again, thanks for the help!

Veteran Fusion94:
As for my weight, I tested my bodyfat with an electronic scale, and got 12%, and I have entered my tape measure stuff into this website:
http://550cord.com/products/info.asp?Pr ... Calculator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has given me around 11-13%. So I'm not bodybuilder lean, but I should be fine. Thanks for the advice though, I want to be lean (my goal is maybe 6 foot 200-210 10% bodyfat) and strong, yet able to run fairly far (I'm not talking marathons but be able to keep up on 7 mile runs and such).

Ranger Zonk 1/75:

I had no intention of bragging about my lifts, as a matter of fact I wouldn't consider myself very strong, I have only been lifting for a year after all. I posted my lifting because I wanted to post my pt and lifting together to give people an idea of where I am at in both because I want to balance them. That looks like a good routine you posted for conditioning, Randy Couture has chosen some great exercises. I might do some sort of circuit like that once a week.

Thanks to all for the replies, but one last question:

What do you guys think of programs such as this:
http://usmc.pftcalculator.com/programs/ ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://webpages.charter.net/bert/reconron.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I follow one of these 3-6 days a week will I be asking for overtraining if doing this while I am lifting?

Trevor

Return to “About Army Physical Training”