Puke PT

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
shootingman99
Embryo

Puke PT

Post by shootingman99 »

Rangers,

I have one more question about pt. Do you think it is a good idea to do pt with the sheer intent of forcing your body to puke? Today I did a circuit routine :

1/4 mile run: 1:18

40 situps
10 pushups, 9 pushups, 8 pushups, 7 pushups, 6 pushups (40 total)

1/4 mile run 1:37
40 situps
10, 9, 8, 7, 6 pushups (40 total)

1/4 mile run 1:35
40 situps
10,9,8,7,6 pushups (40 total)
1/4 mile run 1:27

Total:
1 mile 5:57
120 situps, 120 pushups

As for rest, I didn't rest in between the run and situps, but I rested 1 second for each pushups done in the previous set, but I didn't leave pushup position., so I maybe took 2 minutes rest spread out over the pushups.

After this I puked, I am a little out of this kind of circuit shape. I've puked after pt a few times now, and I have noticed that it gets easier every time. So my question is besides the usual puking during a hard run, do you think it is a good idea to do a pt to specifically make yourself puke so it will get easier and your body will be more conditioned?

Thanks Again,
Trevor
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Puke PT

Post by Silverback »

shootingman99 wrote: do you think it is a good idea to do a pt to specifically make yourself puke so it will get easier and your body will be more conditioned?
No
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

shootingman99 wrote:besides the usual puking during a hard run,
Trevor

You either A: Have seen too many movies with guys doing a training montage, B: Are in exceedingly bad shape, or C: You have an underlying condition.

Usual puking tends to not be a good thing no matter how hard the run. Occasionally, sure....but not regularly.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

You know all that "food" you eat? It's got all this stuff called "nutrition". Your body needs that to....exist.

ANY time your body decides it would rather not have all that "food" in it, something is amiss.

The only times I EVER puked during PT in the Army was when my sorry drunken ass had been out until Oh God Thirty drinking who knows what and eating every fried piece of munchy food I could lay my hands on. This was my body's way of getting "payback".
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
shootingman99
Embryo

Post by shootingman99 »

Rangers,

Got it. So just train hard, and if it happens, it happens. And no, I don't puke that often during runs, just when I am doing my best 2 mile time or 1 mile (which hasn't been as good lately). And I guess I should have phrased that differently about the "usual" puking. But if you are running your truly fastest 2 mile or 1 mile time, shouldn't you at least be dry heaving or something? I've never done a fastest 1-3 mile time without at least swallowing the urge to puke. I ran a 1-mile time for an army physical for ROTC (I might potentially do ROTC) and I ran a 5:14 mile, about 15 seconds faster than my previous pr, and I puked like 4 times. That was therefore true best time.

Thanks
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

The only time I puked during PT was when I was still drunk, which was more than I care to remember.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

OK, so let me break this down for you a little more.

You ever watch the Olympics? Ever seen any of those World Record holders puking? No. Do you think they were holding back and not giving their "best"? No.

There are a few possible angles to this that I think you are not seeing. One is that you are pushing yourself too hard, and your body can't handle it....yet. For this you need to find the "no puking" line and slowly push it up some.

Another is that there is an underlying problem, albeit possibly...minor. Do you suffer from acid indigestion? How soon before PT are you eating? When doing "regular" PT such as a normal 3 miler, do you get reflux or anything like that?

The last possibility that I can think of is that your body may not be able to process lactic acid well enough. This could be a holistic issue and would require discussions with a doctor.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Shootingman99, read up on heart rate training zones. These are based on percentiles of your maximum heartrate. The most productive training intensity is well below the "puke'' zone.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
shootingman99
Embryo

Post by shootingman99 »

Rangers,
So I just did a little google searching on the subject, and the causes were varied, the ones I think are likely though are an over build-up of lactic acid, over production of endorphins, or just simply over pushing your body. I have never thrown up after a weight workout, but have thrown after testing my fastest run time, and doing circuits like the one I tried yesterday. I am definitely out of endurance shape right now, so that might be part of it. However I was in good shape when I tested my mile time for ROTC, and earlier that week I was running a 5:28 mile, but I cut it to a 5:14 for the test, but it did take a little puking. But I also read that it's because your body is literally trying to get you to stop, even if you are only stopping for the time it takes you to puke. I don't think I have an underlying condition, I just think as Ranger Flesh Thorn said the most productive training intensity is well below the puke zone, so I will stick with that.

EDIT: I just remembered one of the other reasons I read about too: If you over heat your body will puke. That may have been it too as yesterday was a hot day and I was pushing myself.

Thanks,
Trevor
ninjaman
Tadpole

Post by ninjaman »

This is an issue I've had too. It is not uncommon for me to puke or (more commonly) dry heave after a very intense cardio workout. Not normally long runs (though it has happened, but only when I drank too much water too close to running), but especially during real high intensity cardio workouts like wind sprints. I have been diagnosed with exercise induced asthma, but I've been told that throwing up is not a normal symptom of asthma.

This bothers me that throwing up when pushing the body to the max isn't normal; I always thought it was. Now that I think about it though, most of the times it's happened have been when I either had not drank enough water that day, or had drank or ate too much too close to my workout. So that probably solves at least half of the times it's happened.
Romans 3:23-25

" 23 all have sinned and are deprived of the glory of God.
24 They are justified freely by his grace through the redemption in Christ Jesus,
25 whom God set forth as an expiation, through faith, by his blood, to prove his righteousness because of the forgiveness of sins previously committed."
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

Shootingman99, read up on heart rate training zones. These are based on percentiles of your maximum heartrate. The most productive training intensity is well below the "puke'' zone.

Ditto.

Bonus points for showing some intestinal fortitude and not quitting, however, you must learn to train SMARTER. Smarter is ALWAYS better than harder.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”