ELS 13

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Mattsdad
Embryo

ELS 13

Post by Mattsdad »

Rangers, I need some help here, My son is in basic now with a few weeks to go. His goal is to be an Army Ranger and enlisted with out opt 40 because of an eye infraction . He was told if he was lucky he could get Airborne / Ranger during basic.

Here's the deal my son got the Airborne/Ranger contract last week. Then I here from him tonight with this story and his platoon Sargent will be sending him to the !st Sargent with a ELS. What the heck is going on? What dose this mean? He says he dose not know if he will be moved to another platoon , restarted or sent home. I'm so mad right now that I want to box some body's ears.

Is there anyone on here that has experience with this?

The story my son is telling me is that one of the other Privates that was trying for the Ranger contract and did not get it set him up!
Mattsdad
Embryo

Re: ELS 13

Post by Mattsdad »

My son was accused of steeling one of the other Privates medication( ibuprofen ), it was found in my sons shoes. Because of this my son has to go see the platoon Commander with ELS papers. We think they are going to send him home! That's why I'm so mad.

I believe my son did not steel anything, but I'm not so naive to think that I'm getting the hole story here either and I may never know it . I would like to know the process of this ESL and should my son ask to speak with the JAG. Yes the old box you ears in statement is out dated, my grand father us to say that, that's where I got it from. I am extremely disappointed over this, and I'm sure this will affect my son in the future
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

I have been both a Drill Sergeant and a basic training Company First Sergeant.

ELS stands for Entry Level Separation. There can be several reasons leading to an ELS discharge, but they all boil down to one thing - unsatisfactory performance. ELS cannot be considered for one isolated incident, unless it is a particularly strong reason (assault, proven or repeated theft, fraternization, etc.) However, almost every Soldier in training receives multiple counselings for infractions - I'm sure this wouldn't be the first thing your golden lad has done wrong.

During the typical ELS process, the Platoon Sergeant will send the counseling record (and possibly the Soldier) to the First Sergeant, who I can almost 100% state is already aware of the entire situation. He will advise the Company Commander, who will advise the Battalion Commander, a Lieutenant Colonel. The authority to approve the ELS rests at this level. Any Soldier who is being considered for ELS must see JAG - it's part of the process. Your son cannot be removed from training (i.e. not allowed to participate) until an ELS is approved. If it is approved, he will be sent to a seperate unit (called RHU) for outprocessing. If it is not approved, then usually the Soldier is moved to a different platoon, or possibly to a different company to get a "new start" from new leadership. This may or may not involve restarting training at an earlier week than what he is currently in. It depends.

To your son, this process may seem almost like a kangaroo court. But from a leadership perspective, the Army is very careful and very judicial about kicking Soldiers out after they have invested tens of thousands of dollars. Many times for me, the decision went against my recommendation, either one way or the other - whether I was recommending discharge or retention.

You are correct in one thing. You are most likely not getting the whole story and you may never know it. He's an ADULT. He's gonna get a fair shake, despite what he thinks or what he says. Your honest attempt at interfering would most likely be a detriment to his cause. In other words, you ain't boxing nobody's ears.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Mattsdad
Embryo

Post by Mattsdad »

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain the ELS process in great detail. I'm more disappointed in my son that he has placed him self in this position. Agreed that I will not be doing any boxing of ears.

Return to “Introduction Archive”