Sitrep....Oneday_I_will...?????

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
oneday_I_will
USAF Veteran

Sitrep....Oneday_I_will...?????

Post by oneday_I_will »

Good Day Rangers, Vets, and Future Soldiers,

Well, I went to MEPS on Thursday and long story short I found out that on that very day the Army came down with a message that there are NO JOB OPENINGS FOR PRIOR SERVICE E-4 AND E-5. With that being said the liason Army Top did some extra looking but it was still a no go. So, this morning I wrote my congressman. Does anyone else think that it's just a bit ridiculous when the Army does not want to find ANY job for any Honorably discharged veteran, who is a 4 year college graduate, a former federal police officer, who is RIGHT NOW at the age of 39 able to pass the AFPT in the 17-21 category, can run RIGHT NOW the 5 miler in 36:40, complete at least 11 dead hang pull ups, and has been in A-stan and Iraq leading force protection forces for U.S. FOBS, and has had his fair share of mortar attacks, some rockets, and one missed IED, only because I AM A PRIOR SERVICE E-4!!!! However...if I was a FIRST TERM enlistee at ANY AGE...I could get a job. What is this country coming too???? With all of that being said, I am not one to give up. However, my chances of going Ranger on that Thursday were slim to none, so now, well...you get the picture. Gentleman, it was truly, truly, a priviledge to hear complete strangers..all be it Rangers....who supported me and gave me words of encouragement. This forum is an awesome place for a guy like me to at least have had the real opportunity of having a moment to have believed that it might have happened. God bless you all. Oneday out.
Company C/5th Battalion/19th SF Group (NQP) 2010-
309th FS Homestead AFB 90-92
79th FS Shaw AFB 92-95
65th Air Wing Lajes Fld. 95-96
78th FS Shaw AFB 96-98

"I will conquer my fears and succeed".
U.S. Special Forces Creed
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Re: Sitrep....Oneday_I_will...?????

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Sorry to hear it. Maybe it will change but for you and your job situation it could come too late.

After Vietnam they down-sized the service and the only people that they would allow back in were those that had been awarded a Silver Star or higher.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Caruthers
Ranger

Post by Caruthers »

I'm pretty sure your not turning over every rock. Look into the NG.........like oh.........19th group. If your gonna quit that easy.....so long and good luck.
"When injustice becomes Law, resistance becomes duty"

Thomas Jefferson

Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.”
- Norm Franz
oneday_I_will
USAF Veteran

Post by oneday_I_will »

Thank you for your words Ranger al_2ndWolfhounds.

Ranger Caruthers, you have been reading my mind. I have been thinking all day about NG or Army reserve. NG really comes to mind. Not quitting that easy. Thank you for your words and a good swift kick in my 4th point of contact.
79th FS Shaw AFB 92-95
78th FS Shaw AFB 96-98

oneday_I_will
USAF Veteran

Post by oneday_I_will »

Good Day Rangers,
Well, this morning I sent out an email to the 19th SF Group looking for info to enlist via the TXARNG. I already sent Ranger Caruthers a PM, but I just want to thank him once more for basically telling me to "pick up your damn teeth, put em' in your pocket and drive the f*** on"!!
Oneday out.
79th FS Shaw AFB 92-95
78th FS Shaw AFB 96-98

fusion94
Tadpole

Post by fusion94 »

oneday_I_will wrote:Good Day Rangers,
Well, this morning I sent out an email to the 19th SF Group looking for info to enlist via the TXARNG. I already sent Ranger Caruthers a PM, but I just want to thank him once more for basically telling me to "pick up your damn teeth, put em' in your pocket and drive the f*** on"!!
Oneday out.
You might also consider 20th SF Group as they might be closer to your location.
Scout/Snipers CSC 4/502 Infantry Berlin Brigade - (1986-1988)
Scout/Snipers HHC 3/7 Infantry 24th ID - (1989-1991)
Operation Desert Shield/Storm - (1990-1991)
Detachment 1, Company B, 1/20th SFG(A) (1991-1992) (NQP)
666th Ordnance Company (EOD), 1992-1994
oneday_I_will
USAF Veteran

Post by oneday_I_will »

Fusion94, roger that. Thanks for the support. Oneday out.
79th FS Shaw AFB 92-95
78th FS Shaw AFB 96-98

Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Honestly, with your age, experience, etc......I believe SF would be more your cup of tea. It's an older crowd. You might shoot Leatherneck a PM. He's not on here much anymore, but he was in your same position. After chasing an Option 40 as a Prior-Service Marine for over a year to no avail, he went 20th SFG.

Good luck!

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Earthpig really knows what he's talking about here. You don't really want to be the old guy with a bunch of 18 year old kids. It would be a very solitary journey. And EP was only a few years older - you are really efff'n ancient. :P
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

K.Ingraham wrote:Earthpig really knows what he's talking about here. You don't really want to be the old guy with a bunch of 18 year old kids. It would be a very solitary journey. And EP was only a few years older - you are really efff'n ancient. :P
I was one of the FEW who wasn't into rap music, video games, and comic books. Definately a bit of a generation gap. :lol:

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
oneday_I_will
USAF Veteran

Post by oneday_I_will »

Ranger K.Ingraham and Ranger Earthpig...roger that...and thanks for the advice. SF bound...hopefully. I have found out that for NG the rules are a bit different and in my favor. Live is looking good again. The Good Lord certainly works in myserious ways Gentlemen. Oneday out.
79th FS Shaw AFB 92-95
78th FS Shaw AFB 96-98

Return to “Recruitment Process”