Warriors: Nature or Nurture (or lack of)

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
bones1931
Embryo

Warriors: Nature or Nurture (or lack of)

Post by bones1931 »

What makes a man want to be a Ranger?
I'm sure there are a lot of different reasons and backgrounds that cause one to want to be "the blood on the tip of the spear", but is there a common thread that runs through all true warriors?
Any comments regarding personal reasons for becoming Rangers would be welcome (working on the backstory now...)
Bell

Post by Bell »

What makes a man want to be a writer? Must be a calling of some kind.

RLTW
Bell
AtxCrybaby

Re: Warriors: Nature or Nurture (or lack of)

Post by AtxCrybaby »

bones1931 wrote:What makes a man want to be a Ranger?
I'm sure there are a lot of different reasons and backgrounds that cause one to want to be "the blood on the tip of the spear", but is there a common thread that runs through all true warriors?
Any comments regarding personal reasons for becoming Rangers would be welcome (working on the backstory now...)
im not a Ranger but I want to be one because everytime i see a Ranger i have nothing but respect for them and want ppl to look at me the same way
Boattail173
Ranger

Post by Boattail173 »

Like you said ATX, every man is different. If there is one common denominator for wanting to be a Ranger, it is probably extreame patriotisim.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Atx, if you're joining because you give a shit what someone outside of the 'Brotherhood' thinks, then I sincerely hope you fail. There are a lot of warriors on this site; you should read around and perhaps see if what they express matches what you have inside. I doubt it does; your reason you stated seems to be self-serving and in some way denotes a lack of self esteem. Warriors are not self-serving by nature; they do the dark, dirty, thankless work that makes it possible for you to be able to write the childish, meaningless things you do.
AtxCrybaby

Post by AtxCrybaby »

Ranger SaltBitch that is why im on this board..To see if being a Ranger is right for me before i try and get into Ranger school..I do want to be the best that the army has to offer...and i think i have the mentality and ability to become a Ranger because I WILL NOT GIVE UP EVER no one can make me therefore i wont..And i simply want to be the best there is
Bell

Post by Bell »

Uh huh. Heard it, seen it, laughed at it. We'll see.

RLTW
Bell
RafterMan
Tadpole

Re: ATX

Post by RafterMan »

S.Plavney wrote:. If ya want to prove something to someone, sit on a flagpole for a week to prove ya have good balance you choad........
:lol:

That's the funniest thing i've heard all day.
AtxCrybaby

Post by AtxCrybaby »

"Join because your heart tells you to, not because you have something to prove to anyone. "

Ranger Plavney the only person i have to prove anything to is myself. I make what descisions i make on my own
RangerDC

Post by RangerDC »

2 things:

1st of all, if any of you hooah's still have problems with shin splints, if you want some help correcting those PM and I'll tell you what to do...easy stuff.

2nd, for the kid that asked the original question. Most of the Ranger's I know knew they wanted to be an Army Ranger before they knew much more about the military. When I joined I had only a vague idea of what a Ranger truly was or did, I didn't have the benefit of the WWW back in the day. The fact of the matter is that the Army Rangers are the very best at what they do. There is a desire to push the limit, to do what others can't or won't just because it needs to be done. The recognition often comes in the myth's that people make up about us, which gives us all a chuckle. The pride in what we do comes from knowing how hard we have worked to get and STAY where we are or were at. Rangers enjoy what they do, even when it SUCKS!

As a veteran I can tell you what I miss the most is the brotherhood you are part of and the life style you lead.

The only people I have been concerned with what they thought was my peers and my team and squad leaders. It is ironic, but even today I hope that a particular SSG would be proud of what I have done with my life.

I can't explain what makes a man want to be a Ranger, but I can tell you that once you know what it is to be an Army Ranger, it will never leave you.

I hope this helps.
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

I became a Ranger because I'd seen all the Regular Army guys doing post police, installation support and peacekeeping missions. I wanted action, not ash an' trash details. So I became a Ranger and the values, discipline and die before I fucking quit attitude has served me well throughout my life since then. I wanted to be better than the next guy, not just another nug on one gave a shit about. Being in Battalion gave me all the action, adrenaline, camaderie and at times, sheer terror any young man could ever want. Plus, I knew if I ever deployed real-world with Battalion, it wouldn't be to play traffic cop in Homoslavia or some shit. I knew we'd go somewhere, with the best people, training and equipment and absolutely, without a fucking doubt stomp a fucking mudhole in the ass of any life form who dare incurr the wrath of the United States of America. As the old cadence goes "Uncle Sam getting trouble, the 75th is gonna stomp!". That's why I joined the Rangers.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Shake n Bake
Egg

Post by Shake n Bake »

What attracts me to the military?

The appreciation and sense of gratitude that I have for this country..I truly believe this is the greatest nation thats ever been fought for and would gladly serve without any compensation if I had to.

What sold me on being a Ranger one day?

A K-9 fidelity to country and comrades in arms that can only be found in the ranks of the U.S. Army Rangers.... Just read Ranger Creed it's all there.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I wanted to jump out of planes and plant trees then hug them. Things didn't work out as I had planned. I got to jump out of planes and elavate my feet against trees. Fuckers never would give me give me a Smokey the Bear badge.Seriously, I was a teenager and I didn't know shit, hadn't done shit, and I just wanted to do something.....anything and I joined the Army with an ranger option. I had heard about the rangers during the Grenada invasion. I guess I wanted to be somebody.I had grown up playing and hunting in the mountains, because there wasn't much else to do where I lived. I use to listen to all of my uncle's war stories and just about all of my male relatives were vets. Joining the Army seemed like the natural thing to do. It is probaly a normal thing for young kids going into the service to want to be admired by others for being a ranger or paratrooper.You see guys get their jump wings and the beret on their head and then they terminate.Like what was said before, after you get to battalion you never see too many people to show off for and when you go home most people don't know what the fuck a ranger is anyways, so wearing the beret and scroll doesn't make much of an impression. Hmmmm......now getting some pusy with your beret and scroll may be a different story.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”