Opinions/Info on F CO, 51st IN, 525th BfSB

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
Bulldawgs07
Ranger

Opinions/Info on F CO, 51st IN, 525th BfSB

Post by Bulldawgs07 »

I just found out that my first assignment after completing my initial training will be to the 525th Battlefield Surveillance Brigade out of Bragg. I got in touch with the CO of F CO, 51st IN (LRS)(Airborne), and he said all 11A's in the brigade are in his Company.

Basically, I'm looking for some variety of information and opinions on the unit (Brigade and/or Company), its missions, and anything I can do to succeed as a 2LT there (or in LRS in general). Thanks for any responses in advance Rangers.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

There are several on this forum that have served in Fun 51. However my infrom ation is extreamly dated and probably wont serve you well.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

F 51st covered down on us in the Box.

Tabbed yet?

No?

See you soon.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Phantom
Ranger

Post by Phantom »

Well, I left F CO 5 months ago for a reason. Why?

viewtopic.php?t=34340&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Part of the problem today is that DA is assigning newly commissioned officers right out of IOBC as PL's there. They have no business being there. When I got there our PL's were either Captains or 1st Lieutenants. I did have a 2LT as a PL once but he was prior enlisted with a whole lot to offer. There is absolutely nothing that a cherry 2LT can do for me as a TL, especially in the area of mission planning. I don't mean to sound harsh but you are going to be in way over your head.

I'll be completely honest with you. I absolutely loved that company when I was there. It was a great place then, but it is a complete disaster now.
Bulldawgs07
Ranger

Post by Bulldawgs07 »

I appreciate the replies so far. Ranger Phantom, I'd rather hear your honest opinion, harsh or not, than some lukewarm BS. Thanks for the straightforward reply. If you don't mind me asking, is there anything that a fresh 2LT can do (besides learn as much as possible at RS and RSLC) to mitigate what you're talking about?

Ranger Kilted Heathen: not tabbed yet, current projection to start RS is at the beginning of May.
trazel187
Embryo

Post by trazel187 »

You are on the right path if everything works out for you. By the time you go to Hooah school and maybe RSLC. Most guys stuck on Benning try to get Pathfinder and stuff. That's cool, but if you can, try to 'blackbird' and hang with a TOE or a unit with troops and has an infantry mission. This way Ranger school isn't the only time you were in charge of lower enlisted and NCOs (plus, there rank isn't a factor anyway).

To be successful as a young officer, you MUST rely on your NCOs to get you squared away especially in a LRS unit. The tempo and motivation will be different than what you will see on Kelley Hill. Just go by 3rd Batt and watch the tip of the spear in action on a daily basis.

Read what you can...there are a dozen books and sites with mainly Vietnam LRRP/Rangers out there. Since some of the LRS missions are becoming or have been direct action not just surveillance (current conflict), you might want to get a feel from our forefathers. Lastly, talk to folks who have been and are currently in the few LRS assignments left. G2 a little.

Finally, the main thing will be on you once you show up at your unit and just experience the lifestyle. Normally, we had PLs from line units when I was in Echo 51st unless they were prior service enlisted (and then most of these guys were ex-LRS and/or SF). You are on the right path just coming here and asking proper questions. I wish you the best and hope to hear that everything has worked itself out. Remeber to take care of your Soldiers and don't let them get abused by the MI weenies or when they are attached to other units. Especially leg ones who have no idea what to do with you except guard, QRF, dog catching, details, convoy security, common task trainers for the MI Bn or Bde, TOC security, Cdr drivers, range cadre for Bn or Bde ranges (cause were infantry), unfair UCMJ receipents (hey cause we got caught! okay!), and as a LT: liason duty or infil planner.

"Eyes behind the lines"
A 1/52 IN (NTC) 88-90
7th RTB 90-93
1/4 IN (CMTC) 94-95
E 51 INF (LRS) GE 95-98 (OJE and OJG)
1/78 FA (BT Instr), Ft. Sill, 98-01
3/505, 2/505, 82d ABN 01-04 (OEF)
1 AD (JAG), GE 04-07 (OIF)
1 ID 07- (MiTT instructor)

The outcome of the war is in our hands; the outcome of words is in the council.
Homer, The Iliad
mountaingoat
Paratrooper

Re: Opinions/Info on F CO, 51st IN, 525th BfSB

Post by mountaingoat »

Fox were some good dudes. We replaced them in the sandbox in 08. About the cherry Pls. That has been a big problem with our LRS unit down in "the Hood". But i believe they are trying to mitigate that for the next go around overseas.
11B
ABN Schl Jan 07
B Trp 38 CAV (LRS) (ABN) 2 May 07-- 10 Feb 2010
Iraq Aug 08-- Aug 09
82nd 10 Feb 2010--- ?
mountaingoat
Paratrooper

Post by mountaingoat »

Rangertom wrote:
mountaingoat wrote:About the cherry Pls. That has been a big problem with our LRS unit down in "the Hood". But i believe they are trying to mitigate that for the next go around overseas.
you funny GI.
Not so much. :(
I wasn't trying to be funny or disrespectful Rangertom. We had alot of platoon level command relieved in country.
11B
ABN Schl Jan 07
Iraq Aug 08-- Aug 09
82nd 10 Feb 2010--- ?
Caruthers
Ranger

Post by Caruthers »

mountaingoat wrote:
Rangertom wrote:
mountaingoat wrote:About the cherry Pls. That has been a big problem with our LRS unit down in "the Hood". But i believe they are trying to mitigate that for the next go around overseas.
you funny GI.
Not so much. :(
I wasn't trying to be funny or disrespectful Rangertom. We had alot of platoon level command relieved in country.
from a thread 2yrs old..............
"When injustice becomes Law, resistance becomes duty"

Thomas Jefferson

Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.”
- Norm Franz
mountaingoat
Paratrooper

Post by mountaingoat »

Roger, I understand now. Yeah we have blended with the MI like oil and water since i've been here. Its sad how the try to smash us at every turn. They actually brief their new females "Don't talk or associate yourself with the LRS guys" which i think is pretty funny. I'll be going to Bragg soon so i won't be with those faeries anymore. I just pray our replacements have a better chance than we did for things like schools and such. -mgoat
11B
ABN Schl Jan 07
Iraq Aug 08-- Aug 09
82nd 10 Feb 2010--- ?
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

mountaingoat wrote:..... They actually brief their new females "Don't talk or associate yourself with the LRS guys" .....
The more things change the more they stay the same.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

mountaingoat wrote:Roger, I understand now. Yeah we have blended with the MI like oil and water since i've been here. Its sad how the try to smash us at every turn. They actually brief their new females "Don't talk or associate yourself with the LRS guys" which i think is pretty funny. I'll be going to Bragg soon so i won't be with those faeries anymore. I just pray our replacements have a better chance than we did for things like schools and such. -mgoat

Same issue here at Ft. Lewis LRS.

Return to “Reconnaissance”