Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

jwt6248
Ranger

Introduction

Post by jwt6248 »

Hello all,

My name is Jesse and I am a college graduate who will be joining to Army to serve his country. After contemplating applying for OCS and the Ranger Contract, I've decided to go for the 11x Option 40 contract.

Currently, my recruiter has informed me that there are no 11x Option 40 contracts available. He has stated that even the ROC has informed him that they are not showing any slots at all. I've asked to meet with him and make the call to ROC together, to see if my presence can affect the ROC's decision to open a slot up for me. I won't sign anything unless its the 11x Option 40 that I've set my sights on.

I do have one question I was hoping could get answered. I asked my recruiter to send me back to MEP's* to talk to an Army Liaison so I could get the 11x Option 40 and the rest of my contract squared away. He told me that the recruiters now have access to the same computer information as the liaisons, and that he will just reserve the 11x Option 40 slot when it shows up before taking me down to MEP's with the chance that the Option 40 is unavailable. I know slots can be reserved by the recruiters, but do recruiters now have the same amount of influence as MEP's liaisons for obtaining Option 40 contracts?

*For those who are wondering why I have already gone to MEP's: While I was contemplating OCS/Option 40, my recruiter told me that for either path, I needed to the ASVAB and get a physical, so I did so.

Thank you in advance for any information given.
RLTW

A co 3/75 2010-2013
RS 01-12

Former mentee to Ranger Oto-Man
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by Ranger Bill »

Good intro. Your desire to serve our country as an Army Ranger is appreciated. Continue to hold firm with your recruiter and sign no contract that is not exactly what you want. Be sure to read and heed the ROE PM I am sending you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Well, Jesse, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. So far, you are doing well. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right place. We take some pride in the fine young men, currently serving in the Ranger Regiment who have experienceed ArmyRanger.com. Almost every possible question has been discussed here at least once. The search feature is your friend. Read all the FAQs, stickies, as well as selected threads. Please self-administer a PT test and post your results here. This task should be completed before midnight, Sunday, 13 September 2009.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
jwt6248
Ranger

Post by jwt6248 »

Ranger Bill, I have read the PM you have sent me - thank you for providing forum's ROE and welcome.

Ranger Jim, below are my APFT results:

Push-ups (2 minutes): 90
Sit-ups (2 minutes): 85
2 mile run: 14:38

Speed work, intervals, and 2 mile timed runs are now a priority on my PT schedule.
RLTW

A co 3/75 2010-2013
RS 01-12

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

jwt6248 wrote: Push-ups (2 minutes): 90
OK, so now we have a baseline for you to work against. Your scores are a good start. There are several threads here about improving your AFPT. Continue to work with your recruiter, but don't settle for anything that is less than what you desire. Please stay focused, and let us know when you secure an Option 40. Never, never quit.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
jwt6248
Ranger

Post by jwt6248 »

Update: 09 SEPT 14

I called my recruiter today and requested that I be allowed to go to MEP's and try to get an 11x Option 40 contract through the MEPs Army liaison. My recruiter called back and informed me that his recruiting station commander would like to speak with me first. I went to the recruiting station and the station commander, Sergeant First Class "J" (and a family friend of one of my friends), informed me that due to the new system, recruiters use the same system as MEPs Army liaisons to enlist new recruits. Additionally, he informed me that he would not send me to MEP's to just "look for a job", even knowing that I'd sign the 11x Option 40 without a moments hesitation if it came up while at MEP's, as having recruits that do not enlist while at MEP's will be seen by his superiors and will result in "an ass kicking".

I will be moving back to the Bay Area when my lease ends on Sept. 19.My recruiter knows this, but he also knows that I will not sign anything unless it is an 11x Option 40. If the 11x Option 40 doesn't "miraculously" appear prior to my move date, I will be going back to the Bay Area and will start the process again. However, I will take the approach advised by Ranger Cdwdirect in his thread, DEP'ing Into the Army (http://forum.armyranger.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=22346.

Ranger Jim, I will definitely stay focused, and will work to increase my APFT performance.
RLTW

A co 3/75 2010-2013
RS 01-12

Eriks
Embryo

Post by Eriks »

jwt6248 wrote:Ranger Bill, I have read the PM you have sent me - thank you for providing forum's ROE and welcome.

Speed work, intervals, and 2 mile timed runs are now a priority on my PT schedule.
Hey there future soldier. I wanted to say I appreciate your commitment, one that I plan on making soon as well. Regarding you PT(from an aspiring soldiers perspective, not a current or former soldier), Pushups an Situps are looking great. My two cents on the 2 mile improvement is that distance running is your savior. When training my 2 mile I initially trained like you with purely speed runs. At first this helped a bit just to get my legs but I rapidly plateaued. Many have told me and I have come to fully agree that distance running is your best friend. Run 3-6 miles at a more comfortable pace than your 2 mile on most run days and every 3 or 4 runs throw in a fast 2-3 mile. This strategy of 4-6 mile runs most days gave me much greater understanding of my pace, helped me improved my run mechanics, and overall gave me a greater appreciation of running. But perhaps most importantly in yours and my case, I took my 2 mile from about where you are to under 13 minutes. Anyways I hope this is of help to you and I appreciate what you are doing.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Eriks wrote:
jwt6248 wrote:Ranger Bill, I have read the PM you have sent me - thank you for providing forum's ROE and welcome.

Hey there future soldier. I wanted to say I appreciate your commitment, one that I plan on making soon as well. Regarding you PT(from an aspiring soldiers perspective, not a current or former soldier), Pushups an Situps are looking great. My two cents on the 2 mile improvement is that distance running is your savior. When training my 2 mile I initially trained like you with purely speed runs. At first this helped a bit just to get my legs but I rapidly plateaued. Many have told me and I have come to fully agree that distance running is your best friend. Run 3-6 miles at a more comfortable pace than your 2 mile on most run days and every 3 or 4 runs throw in a fast 2-3 mile. This strategy of 4-6 mile runs most days gave me much greater understanding of my pace, helped me improved my run mechanics, and overall gave me a greater appreciation of running. But perhaps most importantly in yours and my case, I took my 2 mile from about where you are to under 13 minutes. Anyways I hope this is of help to you and I appreciate what you are doing.
Shut the fuck up.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
jwt6248
Ranger

Post by jwt6248 »

Hello all,

I am writing to inform you of my successful swearing in at MEP's this afternoon with an 11x Option 40 contract! I am scheduled to ship out on 16 FEB 2010!

What is below is an account of my last two MEP's visits, which occurred on 11/19 and 11/20:

My recruiter drove me to the pre-MEP's hotel on the evening of 11/18 with an 11X reservation. He told me that procedures had changed for recruiters and that only Army Liaisons at MEP's can reserve Option 4's or Option 40's. I arrived at the MEP's station at 5:30AM, and was checked into the system. The MSG saw my 11X with the request for Option 40 reservation, spoke to me briefly, and told me he would try to hook me up with my request. I was called in to speak with the senior guidance counselor, the MSG, who informed me that he had called the ROC several times throughout the day, but was only able to obtain the 11X Option 4 Airborne contract. I politely informed him that I wanted the guaranteed opportunity to try out to serve in the Ranger Regiment and that the Option 4 was not something I was considering. He told me that, in his experience as an Infantryman, getting Airborne meant that I would be assigned to the 82nd, 173rd, etc., units that were just as challenging, did the same things, and would provide me with many chances to try out for R.I.P. Again, I declined the option. He then told me that he had tried everything in his powers, had called the ROC multiple times but could not obtain the 11X Option 40, and that I needed to call my recruiter to have him pick me up.

Two minutes later, the MSG received a phone call from a 1SGT. As I was still in the room, I heard the MSG's side of the conversation. After a terse sounding conversation, the MSG handed the phone over to me and said, "The 1SGT wants to talk to you." I picked up the phone and the 1SGT asked me why I did not choose to sign the 11X Option 4. I replied, "Sir, I came to the Army because I want the 11X Option 40,, but that was not available." He then asked me, "How many types of Rangers are there?" After some hesitation, I replied "Two types sir - Rangers who have earned a Tab, and those who wear a Scroll". After a pause, he informed me that all my available opportunities were given today, and that if I chose not to sign, my recruiter would pick me up and that would be the end of the line.

My recruiter came around 5:00PM, and on the way back, he informed me that the 1SGT wanted to talk to me, and that he was making phone calls trying to get pull for my desired Option 40. When I arrived at the recruiting station, the 1SGT informed me that he had his superior, the SGTMAJ was making phone calls on my behalf to get me the job I wanted! Midway through our conversation, he received a phone call and, after hanging up, said "Young man, the SGTMAJ has informed me that he will get you the 11X Opt 40. When do you want to sign?" I said him immediately! I was sent back to MEP's to sign my soon to be 11X Option 40 contract.

On the morning of the 20th, I was checked in by the MSG who informed me that he had spoken with the MSG and Colonel at the ROC, and that they were working on getting me the 11X Option 40. He told me that he rarely saw so much weight pulled and was impressed at my determination. Later in the day, he informed me that I had an 11X Option 40 contract to sign! I signed with a $5,000 higher education bonus and a Army Future College fund in addition to the MGIB. On the way home, my Recruiter informed me that the recruit station commander received a call from the CSM at 6:00AM that same morning, asking what was going on with a particular recruit, and promising to "take care of it".

To have the 1SGT, let alone his SGTMAJ, and even more surprising, the CSM, work on my behalf past 6:00PM and prior to 6:00AM to secure my 11X Option 40 contract has been a humbling experience. The lesson to be learned from my experience is to have a professional determination to get nothing less than 100% of what you want. Such determination will be rewarded!

Rangers, you can rest assured that my Ranger contract will not go to waste.
RLTW

A co 3/75 2010-2013
RS 01-12

Return to “Introduction Archive”