Penicillin shot, possibly alergic.

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Jarriko
Embryo

Penicillin shot, possibly alergic.

Post by Jarriko »

So I'm due to ship out to Basic Training in a couple weeks. At Reception Battalion, I will be receiving a penicillin shot. I just found out my mom is allergic to penicillin. I'm not sure if I'm allergic because my medical records don't show anything about me being allergic. I guess I'm just a little iffy on it and am looking for some insight and advice for the situation. Thank you.
Shipdate: 20090831
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Penicillin shot, possibly alergic.

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I didn't know they gave out antibiotics just for the hell of it. Where did you hear about getting a penicillin injection ?
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Jarriko
Embryo

Post by Jarriko »

Ranger Flesh Thorn,
A friend of mine called from reception and mentioned it. I have also seen posts all over the internet about it.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Jarriko wrote:Ranger Flesh Thorn,
A friend of mine called from reception and mentioned it. I have also seen posts all over the internet about it.
Then it must be true. I am not up on medical practices at reception station and I suppose I could be proven wrong, but does it make sense that you would receive an injection of an antibiotic without having been diagnosed with a bacterial infection ?
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Jarriko
Embryo

Post by Jarriko »

Flesh Thorn wrote:
Jarriko wrote:Ranger Flesh Thorn,
Then it must be true. I am not up on medical practices at reception station and I suppose I could be proven wrong, but does it make sense that you would receive an injection of an antibiotic without having been diagnosed with a bacterial infection ?
That's exactly what my recruiter and I were wondering. It doesn't make very much sense...maybe we can get some more feedback and clarification from some guys who get out of basic or something. So do you think I should just mention that my mom is allergic even though I've never been medically diagnosed with it?
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Jarriko wrote:
So do you think I should just mention that my mom is allergic even though I've never been medically diagnosed with it?
I think you may want to mention that you suffer from hypochondria.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Most likely (and this is a grand supposition) what is being given is actually a Bicillin injection and not Penicillin. I know in the past the Army has given Bicillin to soldiers to bolster immunity against respiratory infections which are common among large groups of personnel who are housed and sleep in close proximity.

If I am correct here is the information: http://www.drugs.com/cdi/bicillin-la-suspension.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I am incorrect...well then good luck with that!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “Medical Issues”