News of 2 American Journalists Detained in North Korea

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Granite
Embryo

News of 2 American Journalists Detained in North Korea

Post by Granite »

News that 2 American Journalists have been sentenced to 12 years of hard labour in North Korea. The two were working for Al Gore's independent cable company Current TV, on an investigative project, looking into human trafficking along the Chinese-North Korean Border.

Wikipedia article on the matter. Not usually recognized as a news source, it provides a summary of several reports and articles and will be updated as events develop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_impri ... orth_Korea" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reporters Without Borders article. Their sources indicate that NK Border Guards may have "arrested" the journalists on Chinese Soil.

http://www.rsf.org/American-reporters-g ... evere.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NY times article with some insight into how their detention fits into a broader context of negotiations:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/03/world ... .html?_r=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“The journalists considerably weakened their government’s leverage against the North,” said Kim Tae-woo, a North Korea expert at the Korea Institute for Defense Analysis in Seoul.

Details on where they will likely be sent:

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/htm ... 00915.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rangerguru
Ranger

Re: News of 2 American Journalists Detained in North Korea

Post by Rangerguru »

That's what they get for thinking that because they are media, nothing can happen to them. Just like the idiots that go to combat zones and try to interview the enemy and end up getting captured.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Stupidity should be very painful.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Silverback wrote:Stupidity should be very painful.
In this case, I'd say it will be.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Send in more journalists.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Kilted Heathen wrote:Send in more journalists.
Concure
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Please bear in mind that she (and the other reporter) work for a news company owned by Al Gore.

US reporter jailed in NKorea calls sister
Thu Jul 9, 8:44 am ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) – One of the two US reporters jailed in North Korea made a telephone call to her US-based sister, Lisa Ling said in an interview broadcast on Thursday.

"It was a tremendous relief to hear Laura's voice last night," Lisa Ling told CNN affiliate KOVR in California. "It was only the first time I have heard her voice in weeks," she said, adding the call was made late Tuesday. "That silence has been just so terrifying and deafening."

Border guards detained American TV reporters Laura Ling and Euna Lee on March 17 along the frontier with China while they were researching a story about refugees fleeing North Korea.

A court on June 8 sentenced Ling, 32, and Lee, 36, to 12 years of "reform through labor" for an illegal border crossing and an unspecified "grave crime."

Laura Ling "was very specific about the message she was communicating and she said, 'look, we violated North Korean law and we need our government to help us. We're sorry about everything that happened but now we need diplomacy," Lisa Ling told KOVR.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090709/ts ... koreamedia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

They'll do a year, maybe two, then they'll be back home in the US. We have too much power, even with a weak administration at the wheel.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Nomad wrote: We have too much power, even with a weak administration at the wheel.
No we don't.

Back when we had a strong administration and a media largely on our side, we had a total war with North Korea,* a total no-holds-barred kill-'em-all leave-nothing-standing not one wall of one peasant hut nor peasant standing kind of war. Plausibly, two million Koreans died during that little unpleasantness, with some sources claiming as many as four million. When the US bombing campaign destroyed every legitimate military target on the commie side of the line, the staff simply kept redefining the definition of military target until it meant any human built structure or human on the northern side of the MLR was fair game. '50 - '53 was brutal to the extreme.
The lesson the North Koreans took away was that they can survive a kind of war America cannot fight any more. They did it once already and have been feeding their citizens the resulting mythology for the fifty six years since, all the while digging in and preparing for the next round. Since the mid 1990s, we have been training the little weirdos that we haven't the backbone to stand up to their 8,000 tubes pointed at Seoul, they must surely believe that now that they have a big firecracker we are really ready to piss our pants.
They believe that we used biological weapons on them back then and today they see on CNN that we cannot drop a single 750 lb HE bomb without world scrutiny. They are not afraid.

The Obama regime has decided to ignore the NKs, so as to deny them the satisfaction of feeling important, and probably also in the hopes that the DPRK will simply go away somehow. How this plays out will be interesting.

*limited to the penninsula geographicaly, but no military, political or moral restraint shown by either side within the informally agreed upon geographic limits of the war.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

I still think that regardless of what has been happening with the political indoctrination of the north, there is a fear of US reprisals.

The US can levy its power in many different manners, not limited to diplomacy.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

They're fucking idiots and literally deserve what they get.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Nomad wrote:I still think that regardless of what has been happening with the political indoctrination of the north, there is a fear of US reprisals.

The US can levy its power in many different manners, not limited to diplomacy.
It's not "indoc", it's their actual experience, well within the living memory of millions that's being reinforced, not just some half-baked political philosophy.
They aren't afraid of us.

FWIW, one thing I saw in Korea (1995) was that us Americans were a whole lot more concerned about the DPRK than the RoKs were.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

A court on June 8 sentenced Ling, 32, and Lee, 36, to 12 years of "reform through labor" for an illegal border crossing and an unspecified "grave crime."
Reform through labor in North Korea does not sound good at all.

I suspect they'll be reformed through labor for a little while, then we'll get them out somehow.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto

Return to “The News Dump”