Computer help

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

BadMuther
BANNED

Computer help

Post by BadMuther »

Okay computer whizzes....

Why is it that sometimes when I rick click on a picture on the web and then save it, it either immediately doesn't show up, or it does show up on my computer, but 6 months from now it won't show up?

If I reopen the picture from my computer with a photo program and then resave it, the pic is fine...however this is a HUGE pain in the ass...

any suggestions?
Spartan

Re: Computer help

Post by Spartan »

BadMuther wrote:Okay computer whizzes....

Why is it that sometimes when I rick click on a picture on the web and then save it, it either immediately doesn't show up, or it does show up on my computer, but 6 months from now it won't show up?

If I reopen the picture from my computer with a photo program and then resave it, the pic is fine...however this is a HUGE pain in the ass...

any suggestions?
Could be saving it as .jpeg, instead of the more broadly accepted .jpg, which could make it a problem with some apps and not others.

Check it out the next time you save one.
SRR2R
Tadpole

Post by SRR2R »

Ranger BadMuther,

Also, be sure you are not saving the picture into your browser's temporary folder. Such folders hold temporary internet files and periodically delete their contents. I have a folder I created specifically to download pictures and other files I download off the net; it makes them easy to access and organize. Hope maybe that helps.
"Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier..." - Samuel Johnson

From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and violent men take it by force.
-Matthew 11:12
BadMuther
BANNED

Re: Computer help

Post by BadMuther »

Spartan wrote:
BadMuther wrote:Okay computer whizzes....

any suggestions?
Could be saving it as .jpeg, instead of the more broadly accepted .jpg, which could make it a problem with some apps and not others.

Check it out the next time you save one.
Dude, I think that's it!!!

here's the problem though...it gives me the option to save it as a bitmap or as this

JPEG (*.jpg)

So WTF? So jpg and JPEG are different????
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

I just tried to save a pic as the JPEG (*jpg) when I looked where I saved it, it was saved as THUMB file.....WTF??????
LowCrawler
Tadpole

Post by LowCrawler »

BadMuther wrote:I just tried to save a pic as the JPEG (*jpg) when I looked where I saved it, it was saved as THUMB file.....WTF??????
'
Ranger Badmuther, what OS are you using??
also, do you use any kind of photo editing software? That could account for the THUMB file. Some programs convert saved pictures to the format that particular program uses.
And i may be wrong, but as far as I know .jpg and .jpeg are the same thing. The only difference is that certain software programs work better with the .jpeg, they are the same file though.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

"We make war that we may have peace"
-Aristotle

"A post a day keeps the smoke away"
-Doc
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

LowCrawler wrote:
BadMuther wrote:I just tried to save a pic as the JPEG (*jpg) when I looked where I saved it, it was saved as THUMB file.....WTF??????
'
also, do you use any kind of photo editing software? That could account for the THUMB file. Some programs convert saved pictures to the format that particular program uses.
And i may be wrong, but as far as I know .jpg and .jpeg are the same thing. The only difference is that certain software programs work better with the .jpeg, they are the same file though.
LC-

I am using windows XP

I have about 5 different photo programs on my computer...while we are on this topic, how do I set one as the main photo program?
LowCrawler
Tadpole

Post by LowCrawler »

BadMuther wrote:
LowCrawler wrote:
'
LC-

I am using windows XP

I have about 5 different photo programs on my computer...while we are on this topic, how do I set one as the main photo program?
Generally that is done in the program itself. Just dig around in the options or preferences and somewhere there should be an option to "make this program your default photo program, etc."

Another way would be to hold ctr+alt+shift and rightclick the file once it is saved, then go to "open with" and then find the program you want to use. At the bottom there is a checkbox that says
"always use this program to open this sort of file" just make sure that box is checked and Windows will associate anything with that extension to the program you selected.
Hope that helps, im gonna stay online so PM me or post or somehting if you need anything else.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

-Aristotle

-Doc
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

LowCrawler wrote:
BadMuther wrote:
LowCrawler wrote:'
LC-

I am using windows XP

Generally that is done in the program itself. Just dig around in the options or preferences and somewhere there should be an option to "make this program your default photo program, etc."

Another way would be to hold ctr+alt+shift and rightclick the file once it is saved, then go to "open with" and then find the program you want to use. At the bottom there is a checkbox that says
"always use this program to open this sort of file" just make sure that box is checked and Windows will associate anything with that extension to the program you selected.
Hope that helps, im gonna stay online so PM me or post or somehting if you need anything else.
Thanks LC, i'll screw around with my options....For some reason the "always open this type of file with this program" is not working....
LowCrawler
Tadpole

Post by LowCrawler »

BadMuther wrote:
LowCrawler wrote:
BadMuther wrote: LC-

I am using windows XP

Thanks LC, i'll screw around with my options....For some reason the "always open this type of file with this program" is not working....
No problem, Ranger Badmuther,

as far as the THUMB file problem, that sounds like something one of those programs does, sort of like "thumbnail" maybe you use some kind of thumbnail veiwer that is currently set as default??

Just a suggestion, and I run Windows 98 so I'm not all sure that its not an XP thing, although if it is this is the first ive heard of it
-Edmund Burke

-Aristotle

-Doc
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

I made the file extensions viewable...for some Unknown reason, even though I specify to save the files as a jpeg, they are getting saved as different file types...anyone know why?
LowCrawler
Tadpole

Post by LowCrawler »

BadMuther wrote:I made the file extensions viewable...for some Unknown reason, even though I specify to save the files as a jpeg, they are getting saved as different file types...anyone know why?
I assume you are doing this through the "save as.." box, if this is the case, are you sure that you are actually saving them as .jpeg or is it just getting in there with the filename (picture.jpeg.bmp)

You said you made the extensions viewable, so then once they are viewable you should be able to change the extension by rightclicking and then going to "rename" and then just change the extension.
Just to clarify the making extensions viewable:
The extension has to have been made viewable first by going to "view-folder options-then click the view tab, and then uncheck the box that says hide extensions for known filetypes" or something to that effect.
-Edmund Burke

-Aristotle

-Doc
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

LowCrawler wrote:
BadMuther wrote:I made the file extensions viewable...for some Unknown reason, even though I specify to save the files as a jpeg, they are getting saved as different file types...anyone know why?
I assume you are doing this through the "save as.." box, if this is the case, are you sure that you are actually saving them as .jpeg or is it just getting in there with the filename (picture.jpeg.bmp)

You said you made the extensions viewable, so then once they are viewable you should be able to change the extension by rightclicking and then going to "rename" and then just change the extension.
The extension has to have been made viewable first by going to "view-folder options-then click the view tab, and then uncheck the box that says hide extensions for known filetypes" or something to that effect.
I just finished renaming all of them...originally I definitely was saving them as Jpegs.....

I should clarify that this only happens with photos I get from militaryphotos.net...is it possible it has to do with something on their end????
LowCrawler
Tadpole

Post by LowCrawler »

BadMuther wrote:
LowCrawler wrote:

I just finished renaming all of them...originally I definitely was saving them as Jpegs.....

I should clarify that this only happens with photos I get from militaryphotos.net...is it possible it has to do with something on their end????
Could be, some servers use different means of protecting their pictures from piracy, although this is unlikely because i just saved a few of each and it worked fine.
-Edmund Burke

-Aristotle

-Doc
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Huh...thanks for the help.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”