ASPs and other blunt instruments

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
RLK
Embryo

Post by RLK »

Force Recon has been using the ASP as a DA tool for quite some time now. If I remember correctly Pat Rogers did a write up on the subject a while back if any of you are interested.

If cracking bones is what you're interested in, GG&G offers a TID (TACTICAL IMPACT DEVICE) as an after market add-on to the Streamlight Scorpion & Stinger flashlights, as well as set-ups for the INOVA X5 and various Surefire models. It's a pretty practical alternative to the ASP and it looks bad ass to boot.

http://www.gggaz.com/

Later, Rick
Last edited by RLK on May 13th, 2003, 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Practicing preventive medicine through superior firepower.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Rick:

Were you on that boat? What's the deal with all the dummy cords on the pistols? They take those to the field, or something to do with being on a boat?

Thanks
RLK
Embryo

Post by RLK »

pneves wrote:Rick:

Were you on that boat? What's the deal with all the dummy cords on the pistols? They take those to the field, or something to do with being on a boat?

Thanks
Negitory on the MEU float. I'm just a 17 y/o wanna-be DEPer that's shipping in...24 days.

The lanyards are made by Gemtech (the same Co. that makes cans for the SOPMOD M4 BTW), and are a standard issue item.

It attaches to a belt via Fastex buckle and to the MEU (SOC) pistol with a break-away girth hitch. The cord snaps if the weapon becomes fouled and the tension goes +100 pounds. Because of this break-away feature, it's the only Force authorized pistol lanyard.

Hope that helped.

More pics:

http://www4.aixgaming.com/opend/albums/ ... 0G_004.jpg
Practicing preventive medicine through superior firepower.
Castro
Embryo

Post by Castro »

Basically, it is used mostly for CQB in any case you need to switch weapons super fast, you don't loose your weapon. The story is something of that sort.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Castro, what the fuck do you know about CQB?

I personally own one of the cords, and I suppose it works alright. Seems that its best use is for circumstances in which you lose positive control(retention) of your pistol. Anyone familiar with CQB can attest to the fact that folks can 'pop out' at you unexpectedly, and Ranger Jody can attest to the fact that a pistol can be 'removed' from an individual fairly easily.
In BN, it was SOP to use a 550 lanyard to secure your M9. This was mainly for airborne safety, but served essentially the same purpose. Problem was, in order to use the pistol, you had to unwrap the 550 from the handle! Not very effective, but SOP's aren't always perfect. The advantage of this design is that it contracts and extends, thereby giving it the length you need to engage targets, and making itself 'out of the way' when holstered.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I'm sure those lanyards are pretty popular with wait-a-minute vines also.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

They're pretty limited in my opinion to urban ops...
Even still, there's always doorknobs, handrails, your buddy's gear.... :lol:
Rgr_MindRiot

Post by Rgr_MindRiot »

Pretty useless in my opinion. Good in the bush if you don't have a secure holster system but with todays tactical holsters they are an outdated securing method. And, in CQB it just one more opportunity for the bad guy to affect the security/control of your weapon.

Return to “Close Combat”