Army activates first reconnaissance squadron

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
panthersix
Ranger

Army activates first reconnaissance squadron

Post by panthersix »

FORT BRAGG, N.C. — A North Carolina Army post will activate a new reconnaissance and surveillance unit based on lessons learned from combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The 525th Battlefield Surveillance Brigade based at Fort Bragg will activate the 1st Squadron, 38th Cavalry (Reconnaissance & Surveillance) Regiment Thursday.

The squadron combines ground cavalry troops with an airborne long range surveillance company. It will be the Army's first reconnaissance and surveillance squadron.

Happy Birthday!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Trigger
Tadpole

Re: Army activates first reconnaissance squadron

Post by Trigger »

Ranger PantherSix,

Does airborne long range surveillance mean UAV's and drones or something reminiscent of LRRP teams?
"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper (ret).
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

I think it's the later or traditional Ranger recon type companies. I've been out a while so don't quote me.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Trigger wrote:Ranger PantherSix,

Does airborne long range surveillance mean UAV's and drones or something reminiscent of LRRP teams?
Jesus Christ!

Push ups. Never recover!
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Kilted Heathen wrote:
Trigger wrote:Ranger PantherSix,

Jesus Christ!

Push ups. Never recover!
:D :D :D
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
CavCSM001
Ranger

Post by CavCSM001 »

The 1st Squadron, 38th Cavalry combines two traditional Ground Cavalry Scout Troops with what was the old F/51st LRS. UAVs won't be added until late 2010. It will serve as a Corps level Recon element for units of the XVIII ABC. All the capabilities remain the same (ie.. SL, MFF, etc) they just now fall under a Manuever Command (CAV SQDN) as opposed to an Intel BN. There should be two more Squadrons following (2nd and 3rd) at Ft Lewis and Ft Hood where currently only LRS units are set up in their respective BFSBs.
RS: Class 11-00
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

In Ft. Lewis? Thats good news for the 2nd Batt boys, now they can have someone teach them how to do dismounted patroling.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

. wrote:
dbmtrman wrote:In Ft. Lewis? Thats good news for the 2nd Batt boys, now they can have someone teach them how to do dismounted patroling.
Yeah that'll happen. :roll:

Nows that was fucking FUNNY
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

yes it was.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

CavCSM001 wrote:The 1st Squadron, 38th Cavalry combines two traditional Ground Cavalry Scout Troops with what was the old F/51st LRS. UAVs won't be added until late 2010. It will serve as a Corps level Recon element for units of the XVIII ABC. All the capabilities remain the same (ie.. SL, MFF, etc) they just now fall under a Manuever Command (CAV SQDN) as opposed to an Intel BN. There should be two more Squadrons following (2nd and 3rd) at Ft Lewis and Ft Hood where currently only LRS units are set up in their respective BFSBs.
There's already a BFSB at Ft. Lewis. I know because I'm on staff duty there right now. Typing this message.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Rangertom wrote: It is extremely hard to find a commander that knows how, has the leadership courage, and will employ them properly.
This has been an issue for a very long time at Corps level. Some things never change.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
CavCSM001
Ranger

Post by CavCSM001 »

GoldCoast wrote:
CavCSM001 wrote:The 1st Squadron, 38th Cavalry combines two traditional Ground Cavalry Scout Troops with what was the old F/51st LRS. UAVs won't be added until late 2010. It will serve as a Corps level Recon element for units of the XVIII ABC. All the capabilities remain the same (ie.. SL, MFF, etc) they just now fall under a Manuever Command (CAV SQDN) as opposed to an Intel BN. There should be two more Squadrons following (2nd and 3rd) at Ft Lewis and Ft Hood where currently only LRS units are set up in their respective BFSBs.
There's already a BFSB at Ft. Lewis. I know because I'm on staff duty there right now. Typing this message.
The BFSBs have been in place for some time (BDE CDR is the old 519th MI CDR). As I said, only the LRS units are stood up in their respective BFSBs. The Cav Squadrons will not be established until later on.
CavCSM001
Ranger

Post by CavCSM001 »

Rangertom wrote:F/51 is going/went away. There is talk here and here of keeping the linage but last I heard it was becoming a CAV troop. They are fighting just to keep the beret. The Ft. Hood LRSC was stood up as a troop and last I heard the Lewis one was the same. Cav has been pushing for them to be ‘Troops’ not Companies and Infantry/Ranger branch is happy just letting them go. Truth is most of there ops are mounted anyway. It is extreamly hard to find a commander that knows how, has the leadership courage, and will employ them properly.

Example: 1 AD threw a hissy fit because F/51 wanted to operate dismounted more than 30 minutes away from tank reinforcements (ETA 4 hours) in Iraq. It was absolute heresy to think 6 men would operate dismounted, in suspected enemy areas.
Who does that? :wink:
Actually, the Director of Force Management at DA, is the one who disapproved F/51st keeping their lineage, Cavalry/Ranger branch had nothing to do with it. They carried their Company guidon right up until the final decision came down. I can assure you there is no pressure on that company to assimilate to Armor/Cavalry as they offer a unique skill set to this organization. Their Company guidon changed, not their mission or capability. It is a shame that the Army saw it unfit to keep their proud lineage, however a decision has been made and in regards to an ever changing Army, I am sure it will not be the last decision many disagree with.

Return to “The News Dump”