Prior Service with Option 40 !!!

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Equalizer
US Army Veteran

Prior Service with Option 40 !!!

Post by Equalizer »

As many of you know per my intro and comments I'm prior service Army, been out for about 6 years now. I'm been trying for a long time to argue my way into an option 40. Well today it happened. I GOT IT !!!!
So to all the other prior service out there who like me dream of being Ranger, just like everyone one on here has said multiple times........ just keep fighting for it. MEPS, recruiters, even 1sgt's will tell you "forget it that stuff isn't for prior service", it can happen. Anyway I'm very excited, can't wait to join the ranks of you great warriors, they'll have to drag me out of there to get me to stop, even then I may not . :twisted:
Somewhere someone is training to kill you. He trains with minimal food and water, in austere conditions. The only thing clean on him is his weapon, and he made his gear. His ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when you stop chasing him. He is not concerned about how hard it is he knows either he wins, or dies. He doesn't go home, he is home.
Bravo57
Ranger

Re: Prior Service with Option 40 !!!

Post by Bravo57 »

Congrats. Don't quit.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Congratulations. When you have the chance, it would be good for you to write a detailed description of the full process you had to go through, what you had to overcome, etc. The information will be valuable to other men who are prior services.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Ranger Bill wrote:When you have the chance, it would be good for you to write a detailed description of the full process you had to go through, what you had to overcome, etc. The information will be valuable to other men who are prior services.
Seriously....this would be a huge tool for anyone else who follows your footsteps (and we've had several Vets try this).

Best of luck to you, and thanks for continuing the fight. Please check your PMs.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
RichB
USAF Veteran

Post by RichB »

Ranger Bill wrote:Congratulations. When you have the chance, it would be good for you to write a detailed description of the full process you had to go through, what you had to overcome, etc. The information will be valuable to other men who are prior services.
Ranger Bill, Ranger Earthpig, and Equalizer,

With everyone's permission, I too would be willing to write an account as a USAF Prior Service how I landed an option 40 contract.
Ship date 20090902
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

You both have permission already. Please be as detailed as possible with your accounts. Thanks.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

RichB wrote:
Ranger Bill wrote:Congratulations. When you have the chance, it would be good for you to write a detailed description of the full process you had to go through, what you had to overcome, etc. The information will be valuable to other men who are prior services.
Ranger Bill, Ranger Earthpig, and Equalizer,

With everyone's permission, I too would be willing to write an account as a USAF Prior Service how I landed an option 40 contract.
Go for it!

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
RichB
USAF Veteran

Post by RichB »

I will try to keep it brief and to the point:

I spent about 4 months soul searching and contemplating whether to reenlist (USAF Prior service) or not? However, I was a 100% certain about two things: 1. if I was going to serve this great nation once again, I wanted to serve among the very best, the most elite, and without question some the fittest soldiers in the army! 2. That left only two jobs to chose from in my mind. 11X option 40 or 13F option 40.

I did my research and from what I could gather at the time prior service was not able to get the option 40? So, I had an alternative plan. get 11X or 13F option 4 and try to volunteer for RIP while at Airborne school. Risky yes?

I had to make 4 trips to MEPS because no one had their shit together there and they were always misplacing paper work, scheduling me for stuff I didn't need, etc..

However, when I finally sat down with the counselor he said if I could give you the job you wanted today would you enlist? I said yes. 13F option 4!! He said not available! I said 11x option 4 but it would be nice to have an option 40. He said option 40 is RIP. I said I know, that's what I want and I am prepared for it. He said let me call USAREC. I said I appreciate it but one final thing, please tell them that I am a highly motivated individual, ready to enlist today, providing I get what I want!! But, I will not settle for anything less then what I requested. If the job is available, then it was meant to be--if not then I will continue with my line of work but I will not be coming back.

He called relayed the information to them regarding my determination to get this job and they told him to give it to me. Apparently, they will give prior service an option 40 contract but you need to want it and you need to be prepared to walk away if it is not available!!

Listen, if you want the option 40, you didn't just wake up one day and say to yourself I want to be a Ranger. It is something you researched, and took the time to figure out!! Don't stroll into MEPS and settle for anything less because that's what you'll end up with less!!

Be PERSISTENT!!!!

Consistency and Persistence has always been the key to my success!!!

I hope this helps someone from settling for less!!!!

I look forward to the day I can call myself a US Army Ranger.

Cheers
Ship date 20090902
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Bravo57 wrote:Congrats. Don't quit.
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

RichB, thanks for posting. Your comments and those of Equalizer are testimonials on how to deal with recruiters and not settle for less than what you want.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “Recruitment Process”