Running improvement question

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Running improvement question

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Google interval training.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Bcosniper
Ranger

Post by Bcosniper »

Sega,

When you are just getting into running( or back into) you have to guard against trying to go too far or too fast. You need to build a base before you start hammering down 6:45 miles. You may be physically able to run that fast, but your connective tissues and your bones are not accustomed to the abuse yet. Your shin splints are probably the result of your training. I'm not a Doc but I do run alot. IMO you need to slow things down and slowly build up your base. Try running a mile or two three times a week, but slow it down a lot- like 9:00 min miles. If you tolerate that then bump up your distance the next week by maybe a mile. Only increase by 10% or so a week. If you start to feel any shin splint pain back off. Just remember not to try to get faster and go farther all at once. You might also take a look at runnersworld.com for some of their beginners programs.
Bco 2/75 1st Plt, Webco
1990-1996
RS 12-91

All you got to do is breeeeaaatth and squeeze
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Got to stretch the calf muscles too if you're having the shin splinters....
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
boscounderfoot
Ranger

Post by boscounderfoot »

Segev,

Listen to Doc Mac and the other Rangers who have offered you advice. Especially Doc Mac and Bcosniper. Stretching properly before you run is ultra important in remaining injury free. But running several times each week is just as important. You will never realize any progress by running one mile each week, that simply isn't enough. Starting out slow and running at a comfortable pace is more important than speed at this stage of the game. Fleshthorn is right when he suggested interval training to you, that is important if you want to imagine better times and overall performance.

My suggestion is to get fitted for a proper pair of running shoes. I can't stress this enough! Go to a qualified running shop and have them analyze your gait on the treadmill. They will videotape you as you run and then show you what you are doing right and wrong, as well as identifying whether you have pronation issues. These guys are pro's and they will assist you in getting into a pair of shoes that will keep you injury free and comfortable during your training. Shin splints are usually a combination of bad shoes and not stretching properly. Good luck in your training and congratulations in getting back into shape!! Oh and.......DON'T QUIT!!!!!
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Oh and quit jerking off into your running socks...it'll cut down on the blisters....
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08

Return to “About Army Physical Training”