Volunteer for Airborne? And a packing question.

Basic & AIT
Doug
Future Soldier

Volunteer for Airborne? And a packing question.

Post by Doug »

Rangers,

As I stated in my introduction, I made the poor choice of enlisting in the National Guard for college, and killed my Option 40 chances down the line.

My question is; I've been told that even as NG if there are enough BAC dropouts that I may be given the opportunity to volunteer for BAC at OSUT. If I get this opportunity, should I take it? Or should I avoid going to BAC like the plague while I'm in the Guard, so I can use it to gain RIP when I go active down the road?

I've also heard through hearsay, that I should take foot powder and mole skin to OSUT with me for blister protection. However these are not on the packing list. So is it permissable for me to pack these? Or should I just go without until a Drill Sergeant tells me to purchase them at the PX?

I appreciate the help.
-Doug
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: Volunteer for Airborne? And a packing question.

Post by K.Ingraham »

Toughen up your feet now Boy and forget the comfort items.

How do you figure that avoiding BAC will make it harder to get RIP??
Make the opportunity and take it.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Doug
Future Soldier

Post by Doug »

Thank you for the response Ranger K.Ingraham.

I didn't mean that I wanted to make it harder to get to RIP, rather I was thinking it would be easier to get to RIP if I didn't do BAC until I am able to go active. As from what I've read, if you don't get an Option 40 your next best bet is to volunteer for RIP at BAC. But as I am currently in the Guard, I won't be able to volunteer for RIP if I do BAC now.

-Doug
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

If the army has already paid for you to attend BAC, then that is one less check to write when you apply for RIP, which you can do from OSUT.
I don't know how that works as a NG though, but it has been covered on these pages with a variation or two.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Doug
Future Soldier

Post by Doug »

Ranger K.Ingraham,

I think I should rephrase my information and question.

This is for my 2-3 year plan, as I doubt the Guard will release me any sooner to go RA.
I am not currently scheduled to attend BAC. I know that BAC is a good way to get to RIP if you don't have an Option 40 contract. However as I am in the Guard, I cannot volunteer for RIP.

So would it be a good idea for me to attend BAC, at any time, if the opportunity is available to me, while I'm in the Guard (OSUT or otherwise)? Or should I not volunteer for, or take the opportunity if it's presented to me to go to BAC until I manage to go Active, so that I can volunteer for RIP at that time?

As it is to my understanding that even if I'm ABN/AA qualified prior-service. When I go to enlist in the Active Army, I cannot get RIP in my contract in any form.

But if I am not ABN qualified when I enlist RA as prior-service I can in fact, get BAC in my contract, and could then volunteer for RIP from there.

I hope this information clears up my thought process on this.

Thank you again for the replies, I greatly appreciate the help.

-Doug
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

In my opinion, anytime you pass up a school, you're screwing yourself. If they offer you BAC, take it.

I would take only what is on the packing list. You can take whatever you want, but the Drill Sgt's are just going to lock it all up, if it's not what they told you to bring.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Doug
Future Soldier

Post by Doug »

Thank you for the advice Ranger EarthPig.
If BAC becomes available to me I will jump (no pun intended) at the chance.

I just have a couple of preparations left to take care of and I'll be ready to ship.
I'd just like to go ahead and thank all of the Rangers on this site for the wealth of knowledge you've made available to us new guys, and for the great service you've given to our nation. I only hope that someday I will be able to say the same of myself.

I will have a friend of mine post SITREPs that I send him.

Hooah!
-Doug

Return to “About OSUT”