Recruiter (SITREP)

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Ghostex
Infantryman

Recruiter (SITREP)

Post by Ghostex »

Yesterday, I talked to my recruiter about the 11x option40 contract. He basically told me the earlier I sign up, the greater chance I have at securing an Option 40 contract and shipping out asap. Apparently there is only so many people the Recruiting Center can ship out per month. As of now all the months up to July are booked. If I wait till I sign my contract on my 18th birthday, i might not get the OPT40 or ship out for boot till January/Feb of '10 (according to him). If I sign now, I can get shipped out as early as August of '09, according to him.

Signing my papers with parental consent now, would put me in DEP and activate my contract as soon as I graduate (according to the recruiter). Are there any benefits to DEP, such as working out with Army guys, drills, or classes? I don't wanna feel like I am being be rushed through the process. I also don't want my parents to be rushed through the process either. I just broke the news of enlisting out of HS to my parents just last night. They are accepting of it, but the military still seems alien to them (well at least to my mother). Whats the best way to get them better informed?
Ship Date: 20090723
"No man is an island"---John Donne
"Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."
Ghostex
Infantryman

Re: Recruiter (SITREP)

Post by Ghostex »

Thanks for the advice Ranger JLTW.

The key point that i made, which got my mother on board, was college. I told her about the $80,000 GI Bill, Online courses for college credit, and SOCAD (which makes the college process, afterwards, a 100x easier). I told her after my 4 years enlisted i would go to college to work on my commission. She is mainly concerned about College education during or after enlistment. And I would like a no bullshit assessment/advice from any of the guys that have gone the route I am considering: OPT40 out of HS --->4 years enlisted---->Bachelors degree--->Commission.
Ship Date: 20090723
"No man is an island"---John Donne
"Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Return to “Recruitment Process”