Choice of Sidearms

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I've got a Colt 1991 .45 - it's a compact 45. Only holds 6+1, but have been very happy with it.

Thinking of going and taking the Blackwater 3 or 5 day pistol course in the spring. Anyone here ever take any of their courses, either as a civilian or service member? Anyone take anyone else's instruction that may be similar to what they offer?
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Never taken one, but I've heard really good things about them. Some pals of mine tried to get me to apply for their consultancy firm...but I never really pursued it. The instructors seem to be high-quality; mostly from the 'dark side'. Their website is pretty informative, as far as curriculum goes. Doesn't appear to be a bunch of dipshits running things, which would leave me to believe quality training.
Boattail173
Ranger

Post by Boattail173 »

I went through a sheirffs dept (out west) tatical shooting course. It was put on by the full-time SWAT team. The model was based after the FBI's shooting course. Good shit, you get pretty good real fast. We used SIG 226/228, I have shot other hand guns, but I must say I fell in love with the SIG. I dont really know to much about Blackwater, so I cant say with any intelligence if what I went through compairs.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

If the Sprinfield XD is still a little pricey for your income, you can get the HS 2000 for about $299.It is the same pistol, both are made by HS in Croatia.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Boattail173
Ranger

WOW

Post by Boattail173 »

WOW, we are all very impressed.
Bell

Post by Bell »

Dang, wonder what they taught us?

RLTW
Bell
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

*YAWN... :?
Bell

Post by Bell »

Recover sureshot.

You definitely did not come across as a badass. It sounded like a good course for ya. You definitely showed improvement on the first day.

The point the guys were getting across is that 2 day course you took is what we did for a living at one time.

Glad ya had fun and learned something from it. If ya did, then it was a good course.

RLTW
Bell
Boattail173
Ranger

Recover

Post by Boattail173 »

Recover from that yawn postition Salt!!! Feet and knees together Hoooah
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

You know me, always racked out! 8)
Ando

Pistol Shooting

Post by Ando »

During my training with 21 i spent a lot of time learning about, practising with and shooting the 9mm Browning HP. My experience with pistols was minimal up until that point, but in 3 days on the range each of us went through about a thousand rounds of 9mm. We did serials like quick-drawing from a shoulder holster, engaging a head-sized target at 5m with double taps, replacing the weapon, withdrawing to 10m and doing the same, then 20m, etc etc. We got to shooting out to 30m, and most of us were doing ok on day 3.

Then we moved on to the combat pistol shooting phase, moving around obstacles, moving people out of the way etc. The shooting standards returned to three fifths of two thirds of fuck all. So we fired another thousand or so rounds until we got it right.

The final test exercises all involved tactical pistol shooting with the weapon concealed. We'd all attended a fast, offensive-defensive driving course run by the CRW wing, and the final tests involved driving onto the range at high speed, pulling a hand-brake turn to stop the vehicle at 90 degrees to the target and then engaging multiple targets with precision fire before returning to the vehicle and withdrawing.

The final scenario involved us all being two-up in a car, and driving through an "Aid to the Civil Power" scenario, otherwise known as pretending to be a cop in northern ireland. This serial involved civilian mixed in with targets (Live hostages with paper bad-guys...you'd have to be really fuckin stupid to fuck THAT one up), while we drive through a toy-town looking for things to shoot.

We had one situation where we were driving down a road towards the "local town" and noticed what appeared to be a recent road traffic accident. Obviously, we stopped to check out the situation, and as we approached the car we came under fire (blanks...no shit there, then...heh) and flash-crash and a shitload of targets popped up out of the ground and from around trees etc. We had to engage the targets, seek cover, take out any flankers and return to the vehicle to get the fuck out of Dodge. That was one of the craziest, most exhilarating and down-right stupid exercises ive been on. It also taught me a lot, after seeing my buddy Stu narrowly miss shooting the DS before taking out a street light and "killing" three targets after falling down a slope and recieving minor concussion. He's a dumbass Para fuckwit anyway, so i reckon the fall did him some good. But shit me can he shoot.

Anyway, i was just wondering whether Rangers recieve similar training. We trained for war-type operations, what we call "green soldiering" as well as the civilian type scenarios a counter-terrorist operations.
Bell

Post by Bell »

You did all the good stuff. We hid in the woods and did recon all the time.

RLTW
Bell
Ando

Post by Ando »

The other pistol i have some limited experience with is the Sigsauer P226. Anyone ever used it? We only tend to shoot 9mm in terms of sidearms, how do you compare 9mm too .45?

Return to “Weapons of War”