General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Trigger
Tadpole

Decorated Veteran freezes to death on street

Post by Trigger »

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/36665079.html

RIP, Sir.
By JACK MORAN, The (Eugene) Register-Guard EUGENE, Ore. (AP) - Thomas Egan was a scholar and a decorated soldier. He was also a homeless alcoholic whose life ended last week when he froze to death in Eugene during an unusually long and harsh cold snap.

His body was found covered in snow near the corner of West First Avenue and Blair Boulevard, a bottle of liquor by his side.

News of the demise of the longtime Eugene resident troubled many local veterans - especially those who knew that with some effort and some help, the man they called Major Egan could have had a roof over his head.
(story)

NOTE: Abbreviated by Admin
"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper (ret).
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: Decorated Veteran freezes to death on street

Post by K.Ingraham »

Substance abuse, it can bag the best of 'em.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
coldsteal2
Veteran: US Army/US Navy

Post by coldsteal2 »

Yes substance abuse, and depression most likely on top of that
(they kind of go together) there is plenty of help out there "if they
make the effort to get it" that seems to be where the problem is.
Its hard to understand why they dont.
I got into the system, took a little time but was well worth it

Its above my paygrade to figure out how this happens.

RIP Sir,
SGT USArmy Retired/Disabled
B 1/44 ADA 9th ID Ft Lewis 88-91 16R10 Vulcan Gunner
31M 63rd ARCOM 88 Oceanside CA
also
RM2 USN 1983-1988
NAVCOMMSTA SD 84-86
32nd ST NAVSTA 86-87
USS Merrill DD 976 86-87
NAS PENSACOLA Naval Aircrewman 87-88
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

TC204 wrote:The ones that knew him should have pushed him to improve his own situation, but I guess ultimately the decision was his...
RIP.
You would sure think that someone who had crossed his path could have done something. Sad shame and we should all just hope that we don't every MISS a change to do something for someone like him.

RIP and sorry we missed helping you.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Ranger Andy
Ranger

Post by Ranger Andy »

There but for the grace of God go I.

Rest in Peace...
Ranger Class 6-73 & 7-73
C Company, 75th Infantry (Ranger)
The Ranger Department (City Team)

I Hope They Serve Cold Beer in Hell...
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I'm having a hard time coming up with something nice to say, so...."Rest In Peace."

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

EarthPig wrote:I'm having a hard time coming up with something...to say......
RLTW
EP
A.A. Big Book wrote:Fred´s story speaks for itself. We hope it strikes home to thousands like him. He had felt only the first nip of the wringer. Most alcoholics have to be pretty badly mangled before they really commence to solve their problems.

Many doctors and psychiatrists agree with our conclusions. One of these men, staff member of a world-renowned hospital, recently made this statement to some of us: "What you say about the general hopelessness of the average alcoholics´ plight is, in my opinion, correct. As to two of you men, whose stories I have heard, there is no doubt in my mind that you were 100% hopeless, apart from divine help. Had you offered yourselves as patients at this hospital, I would not have taken you, if I had been able to avoid it. People like you are too heartbreaking. Though not a religious person, I have profound respect for the spiritual approach in such cases as yours. For most cases, there is virtually no other solution."

Once more: The alcoholic at certain times has no effective mental defense against the first drink. Except in a few cases, neither he nor any other human being can provide such a defense. His defense must come from a Higher Power.
May God be with him now, and may he finally Rest in Peace.

1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
502in62

Post by 502in62 »

Ranger Andy wrote:There but for the grace of God go I.

Rest in Peace...
X2
basicload
Ranger

Post by basicload »

Not trying to sound like the ass here, but we have no idea if this guy was really a good soldier or not. I'm sorry that anyone dies from their inability to overcome their addictions however, I don't like how the article tied him to being a veteran and therefore above dying in the cold....alone.

I'm struggling with this as I think of the half million fellow veterans of OEF/OIF. I can tell you first hand from being down range that a bunch of them were douche bags who had no desire to contribute to the GWOT and did not fight for their country for a year, they "survived" for a year.

Now I realize that them just showing up to the show, places them head and shoulders above their civilian peers, but the thought that I will be fighting along side these losers in 30 years for scraps from the VA just makes me sick.

Then there are those that are using the military to punch their political ticket like John Kerry. I have run across a couple of those types too.

I'm not saying that this guy was not a good dude back in the day, I am just trying to put into perspective that everyone has their 10%ers. The military reflects socioty. In every bn sized military formation there are Gays, pedifiles, drug users, rapists, murderers and even democrats. Having served in the military does not change the fact that a guy is a loser if they are a loser.

Anytime we see "veteran", those of us who respect the service to our country or who have served ourselves automatically want to side with that person, but there are some that are only holding that title by the thinnest margin of the technical definition IMHO.
Cco 1/75 91-95
RTD RIP/PRE RANGER CADRE 95-97
Aco 3/75 97
Aco 1/75 00-03
RIP Class 6-91
Hooah School class 6-92
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Sounds like suicide to me...always sad...always avoidable!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Silverback wrote:Sounds like suicide to me...always sad...always avoidable!
X2.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Yea, avoidable but voluntary. It was a choice. Shame, maybe....but you can't lay this on society, or enlightened people, or anyone else. Man needed help but sometimes to get it, you have to ask. Im not asking for a long never ending series of "I asked but didnt get stories"...I hate that he died...I do. But call it what you want...it was a choice.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”