First Deployment

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
CitK09
Embryo

First Deployment

Post by CitK09 »

I am deploying as an Infantry 2nd Lt. in a National Guard unit (RSTA) to Afghanistan. I am scheduled (things could change) to meet up with the unit a month or so after they deploy.

I dont expect they would put a 2nd Lt. out of BOLC III in charge of a platoon in a RSTA unit! Maybe as a replacement for someone being promoted or re-assigned?

I have heard about the 218th SCARNG doing everything from combat patrols with active duty units and convoy security to working with ANA as ETTs.

Thanks.
OEF X
Take the Tag Ab!
CitK09
Embryo

Re: First Deployment

Post by CitK09 »

What can I expect?
OEF X
Take the Tag Ab!
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Shit son, you could be doing anything from being the FOB pest control officer (his call sign was "Dogcatcher 6" in Bosnia) to being a platoon leader and everything in between. Once you step into the combat zone the randomness of Murphy's Legal System takes over in earnest.

You could possibly spend your whole tour as laundry officer just counting socks and getting mortared daily or be outside the wire and see no action for your whole tour. Although the situation favors you being in harms way in some form or fashion for most of your tour at this time.

Whatever you get assigned, take it seriously and keep your wits about you. Situational awareness inside and outside the FOB will serve you and your fellow soldiers well indeed. You may want to try to volunteer for something that you feel you're good at doing, IF you get the chance.

Whatever you end up doing, God bless you and keep you. Take care of your troops first and everything else is just Murphy trying to bring you down.

Doc Mac
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Godspeed, Sir. Do your best at whatever and bring'em back alive!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Whatever we tell you will be wrong. Whatever task you are assigned must be performed to standard. When you do well, someone will notice and you will get the recognition you deserve.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CitK09
Embryo

Post by CitK09 »

Thanks for the information. I guess Ill just worry about BOLC II right now!
OEF X
Take the Tag Ab!
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Lead by example. Don't ask your men to do anything that you wouldn't do, yourself. Best of luck.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Strykerguy56
Tadpole

Post by Strykerguy56 »

Don't get too comfortable in any job, stay on your toes and expect for shit to change everyday. Im a 19 series guy by trade and since Ive left OBC I havent done a single thing related to armor or scouts. Me personally, I was running a 9 man intel/COIST team. Did that for a month, velcro'd on O2 and 3 weeks later I get reassigned to be the XO of the HHC. Best advice I can give ya is stay sharp, learn everything you can, and suck it up. Best of luck to ya
LEROY
Ranger

Post by LEROY »

CitK09 wrote:I am deploying as an Infantry 2nd Lt. in a National Guard unit (RSTA) to Afghanistan. I am scheduled (things could change) to meet up with the unit a month or so after they deploy.

I dont expect they would put a 2nd Lt. out of BOLC III in charge of a platoon in a RSTA unit! Maybe as a replacement for someone being promoted or re-assigned?

I have heard about the 218th SCARNG doing everything from combat patrols with active duty units and convoy security to working with ANA as ETTs.

Thanks.
You should beg to be a PL. You'll regret it if you don't get the chance. My PL from my last deployment turned down XO to stay with the platoon.
H Co 121st LRS 00-14
RS Class 07-09
ARNG-WTC Schools NCO
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

CitK09 wrote:Thanks for the information. I guess Ill just worry about BOLC II right now!

Good call....
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )

Return to “Reconnaissance”