First ones on the ground in Operation Urgent Fury?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

PAC Man
Ranger

Re: First ones on the ground in Operation Urgent Fury?

Post by PAC Man »

Trigger wrote:Did the Ranger who jumped early land anywhere near the drop zone (or even on land)? Was he able to regroup with his element?
I'm gonna stay with you on this line of questioning, Cadet. You seem to have a genuine interest. Besides, I like the response you gave that guy who claimed the MP's went in first. Good job! OK....

Reich survived, and without injury. That much I know. I don't know the exact location of his landing. There were those who had the misfortune of a water landing, but not on the Western end (lead end) of the airstrip from what I know. I'm sure he was able to manuever for a dry land PLF. Like I said, he saw land before he decided to "jump the gun". Remember we were very low as Mooch alluded to, so lateral drift was not much of a problem-- know what I mean?

Again, I defer to my brother, Rgr Mac. Mac was a B Co warrior, so knew Reich personally. As for me, I was in the Bn TOC, making me a "HQ Puke" as my line company brethren so affectionately referred to me. :) . So, we headed different directions once on the ground and I don't recall running into Reich subsequent to the operation.

Sorry.
PAC Man
HHC/1-75 (80-84)
Rgr Class 12-81
PAC Man
Ranger

Post by PAC Man »

Trigger wrote:
K.Ingraham wrote:60 replies now Trigger, aren't ya glad you asked? :D

(I am, great thread - thanks all!)

And Merry Christmas!
Definitely so, Ranger K. Ingraham.

I was hoping someone here would have knowledge of who was first. Instead, I'm getting to hear stories directly from those who were actually there, and there first too! Pretty damn hard to beat that!

- Trigger
Thanks, guys. Believe me it does an old Ranger's heart good to share such events with people who give a damn when the answer is given.

Be sure of one thing though. We (1/75 or 2/75) were NOT the first US combat troops "on the ground" (meaning on the island) at 0530 hrs on 25 Oct 83. I know that has been established, but still not clear on the basis of our good Cadet's original question......
PAC Man
HHC/1-75 (80-84)
Rgr Class 12-81
RGR Mac
Ranger

Post by RGR Mac »

The Ranger in question had a dry landing and was in the Platoon assembly area.
He was the Pl's RTO, and they began w/ our FO calling in AC 130 Gunships.
Co B/1-75 RGR(81-85)
Army Guard 96-to the present day
E-8/MSG.
Ranger Class 12-82
"You can have one for free if it will shut the hole under your nose"
RGR Mac
Ranger

Post by RGR Mac »

Don't remember, but I assume no. The assembly AO was a short distance east of where I landed, and being he exited before me I would have landed closer...I wasn't that slow :D , Besides the Platoon SOP of last one to the AA had to buy the Plt beer was still in force, don't remember who got that honor :shock:
Co B/1-75 RGR(81-85)
Army Guard 96-to the present day
E-8/MSG.
Ranger Class 12-82
"You can have one for free if it will shut the hole under your nose"
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Great Bump Mooch
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”