Athens is burning!!!!

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Chiron
Ranger

Athens is burning!!!!

Post by Chiron »

Dozens hurt as riots rage across Greece

ATHENS, Greece (CNN) -- Angry demonstrations spread across Greek cities and towns Monday in the third day of rioting that has left dozens injured and scores of properties destroyed.
"We've just lost count of how many demonstrations are taking place now," a police spokesman in Athens told CNN.
Police say 34 civilians and 16 police officers have been injured in rioting that spread into new area, including Trikala, Larissam and Veria, a town about 65 kilometers (40 miles) west of Thessaloniki, which along with Athens was a center of rioting Saturday after police killed a 15-year-old boy in Athens.
Angry demonstrators had torched three government buildings and three offices of the ruling conservative political party in downtown Athens, a National Fire Brigade spokesman told Greek state television. Watch as iReporter witnesses the clashes

Full story

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s much worst! Almost the entire center of Athens is in flames. Hundreds maybe thousands of cars are destroyed. Only last night 21 Banks were destroyed. Hundreds of shops are burnt and looted.

As I type I here the news and wonder if there will be a center of Athens left tomorrow. By the way I have to go there tomorrow morning…

They are throwing Molotov cocktails at every building they see. It’s going to be a miracle if there are no killed folks.

My folks are fine and so are we. They even burnt a shop 2 miles from me.

Government is meating now to try and solve this.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Black 6
Ranger

Re: Athens is burning!!!!

Post by Black 6 »

Stay safe.
2/75 Blacksheep 92-93, 1/9 93-94
1759 society member

"You will know me by the scars I bear.
You will know me by the hate I swear."-OTEP

01010011 01110000 01100001 01110010 01110100 01100001 01101110 00101111 01001000 01100101 01110010 01101111 00101110
Boudicca
Tadpole

Post by Boudicca »

Ditto. Take care.
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction.
<2> Ranger Mom
RIP 10-08 & RS 10-09
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

All those girls just figure out that you're married?
:twisted:

Stay safe.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Gordo173
Ranger

Post by Gordo173 »

Stay safe Chris.
Wpns/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
1/1/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR
HHC/1-82(ABN)
Oopps almost forgot Class 4-84

"Always with the negative waves Moriarity!"
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

I read the story, and it doesn't say why the original teen was throwing a molotov at a cop car, when he got shot. What is the back story on this?

I would say thank God for the 2nd Amendment during times like this, but you live in Eurabia, so there probably not much chance of being armed.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Sounds like a good time to take the family out to the country home, Chris.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

I'm confused as to what started this; a police officer shoots a kid who threw a molotov cocktail at him?

It's a crazy world, sometimes...most of the time. Stay safe.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

The kid that got shot turns out to have been an innocent bystander. It’s a huge mess. Over 400 shops have been destroyed in Athens only. The fighting, or rock and Molotov cocktail throwing, is still going on. They took a break in the morning for sleep and re-armament. By 16:00 they were at it again.

Police had to fire about 15 times in the air again today. The largest fear the government has is if a police officer gets killed. Then a vendetta starts and all hell will break lose.

Some outside of Greece have made mention that this could be the start of a civil war in Greece. The main reason is the economic problems and rise in unemployment. The government has been implementing a very strict economic policy given by the EU in Brussels. The thing is that people here already make half what the Europeans make so with commodities being more expensive here than the rest of Europe it’s causing violent reactions at a scale not seen for 30 years.

I was downtown today and oddly people went about business as usual till the masked and helmet clad hooligans came out. This was an event (and still is) that required coordination. They hit all over Greece at the same time. It’s as if they were waiting for a reason to hit.

Tomorrow there will be demonstrations by the left “KKE” party downtown and for sure there will be more violence.

By the way we are going to the “castle” for Christmas and New years. We move out on the 23rd. Meantime I’ll be brushing elbows with the people.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:I'm confused as to what started this; a police officer shoots a kid who threw a molotov cocktail at him?

This is what happened. As a squad car passed some hooligans threw rocks at it and ran away. The officer lost it and jumped out screaming in lose translation "you want to F**k with me well take this" and fired 3 rounds. He said two in the air and one on the ground. It is not clear which bullet hit the 15 year old that was passing by and according to witnesses not with the hooligans.

The boy died and the police officer is in jail pending court. Even if this was 1st degree murder the murderer is behind bars so there is no reason to destroy 5 or 6 cities including the lively hood of hundreds of shop keepers and so on.

Things are far from being under control and speculations are flying all over. There are people that want Greece out of the EU and those that will want to remain in the EU. If that is what this economic crash brings then it may be civil war. If cooler heads prevail and people endure the whims of Brussels then it will be back to normal soon.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
wellfed
Ranger

Post by wellfed »

Chiron wrote:
ANGRYCivilian wrote:I'm confused as to what started this; a police officer shoots a kid who threw a molotov cocktail at him?

This is what happened. As a squad car passed some hooligans threw rocks at it and ran away. The officer lost it and jumped out screaming in lose translation "you want to F**k with me well take this" and fired 3 rounds. He said two in the air and one on the ground. It is not clear which bullet hit the 15 year old that was passing by and according to witnesses not with the hooligans.

The boy died and the police officer is in jail pending court. Even if this was 1st degree murder the murderer is behind bars so there is no reason to destroy 5 or 6 cities including the lively hood of hundreds of shop keepers and so on.

Things are far from being under control and speculations are flying all over. There are people that want Greece out of the EU and those that will want to remain in the EU. If that is what this economic crash brings then it may be civil war. If cooler heads prevail and people endure the whims of Brussels then it will be back to normal soon.
Chris,

I guess this isn't a good time to visit?! :roll:
"You're never beaten until you admit it."

RS 1-86
IDon'tCare
Ranger

Post by IDon'tCare »

I have been keeping up with this Chris.

I have one question for you.

Should I call the Romans or Turks for help.

Sorry. :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stay safe Brother.
A co 2/75 80-84
Ranger class 12-82
SERE Instructor class 1-83

Mentor to Prodigy922 / KW12 / whiskeytango
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

Ranger Chiron, You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Safe and happy holiday season to you. Jenny
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."

Return to “The News Dump”