Grenada Hero or ????

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Re: Grenada Hero or ????

Post by ma91c1an »

377 wrote:Ranger ma91c1an,

Thank you for that detailed on point reply. I have been criticized by my friend for even questioning this guy's story since I am not a vet. I am pretty sure that real heroes wouldnt mind having their stories checked out.

You have now convinced me that the guy is a poser, but I am having a really hard time convincing my friend.

I wonder if the poser took accounts of Ranger Underdonk's heroic action, spun them up a bit and adopted it as his own? Seems to be some similarities.

In spite of requests from rangers to post or PM the posers name I have not done it. I don't want to see physical harm come to him. I have heard stories about what happens when real Rangers find fake ones.

Thanks again,
Mark
You are absolutely correct: guys who are for real are pleased to prove it when asked. If someone dismisses you, saying that their activities were too secret, or that everything is classified, then you know that you have an absolute bullshitter.

Scott Underdonk's story is not as well-known as it should be, in my opinion, but your charlatan may have heard it somewhere. Like all military posers, he trips himself up with the details, and any Ranger veteran of Operation Urgent Fury would have known instantly that he was full of shit.

As for physical harm coming to your poser, you do not need to worry about that. We do not harm them physically. We may introduce ourselves to them in the flesh, and make it clear to them that they need to modify their behavior, but even that is rare. I do not think that these confrontations have ever gotten physical. People have gotten scared, but this is more due to the fact that they are suddenly confronted by strangers who know a great deal about them and their activities.

This is generally adequate to get most people to behave themselves. Posers are usually not the most morally courageous people, anyway. They are often readily intimidated. The thing that they fear and dread the most is their eventual unmasking. Amazingly, when it finally happens, they feel immense relief, even while it is mixed with great shame.

On other occasions, we inform local law enforcement, district attorneys, the FBI, the Inspector General of the VA, and other agencies, as the case may require. In some cases, posers can actually pass muster with the VA and end up drawing pensions. We find these sorts of incidents unacceptable, as they should be reserved for those that truly need them.

You really should share the identity of your poser with us. We will handle him. You should also probably stop talking to your other friend about him. There is no need for you to associate yourself with Ranger justice, although we will always be grateful to you for your courtesy, and we will not forget you.
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
Embryo

Post by 377 »

Ranger ma91c1an,

Well, your articulate logic, unfailing courtesy and explanation of your mission goals are finally getting through my thick skull.

I was wondering why you guys were getting so torqued about a pathetic boaster who you could so easily ignore and you were wondering why I was stubbornly sheltering a con man and even possible criminal. OK, I get it.

I did some serious reading on stolen valor Google links. Military service fraud is not just harmless boasting. The guy is probably using his hero status to con someone, seems like quite a common MO. People have lost their life savings to con men who used false claims of military service to gain their trust.

I have stopped arguing with my friend about the poser. I was getting nowhere.

I will see what I can do. Thanks for your patience. My next communication will probably be in a PM.

To Ranger Horned Toad who joked? about civilian jumpers being goofy. Join the circus, it's good fun. There are usually quite a few vets at DZs. During my forty years in the sport I have had the honor of jumping with members of several elite military groups including Special Forces, SEALS, Rangers, PJs and just a couple of years ago with several of the Army Golden Knights at the World Free Fall Convention in Rantoul Illinois.

Don't worry. I have no illusions that jumping with these guys makes me anything like them. The most hostile thing I ever found waiting for me on the ground was an ex wife.

Mark
Embryo

Post by 377 »

Ranger Zonk,

I do appreciate the humor. The PJs and Golden Knights are 100% confirmed. The PJs were all from the 129th ARS and I knew several of them personally. I jumped with them at Marina CA at the civilian DZ called Skydive Monterey Bay. It is the old Ft. Ord Army airfield. I begged, but they wouldn't let me jump from their Herc at Moffett Field. I did get to go on their boat to do offshore jumper recovery work during exercises in Monterey Bay.

The Golden Knights were the real deal. Either that or they were posers who spent thousands on custom logoed canopies. Really great guys, very modest and highly accomplished jumpers.

The others? well, I believed them all, but who knows? Now anyone with an over the top hero story raises my eyebrows.

Mark
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

377 wrote: The others? well, I believed them all, but who knows? Now anyone with an over the top hero story raises my eyebrows.
As it should. That is usually the first tip off that someone is full of shit... When they tell you about their story openly and readily to let you be in awe of them.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

man I wish I had the nerve to sky dive
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

RRDTm3 wrote:man I wish I had the nerve to sky dive

:lol: :lol: :lol:
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Embryo

Post by 377 »

Ranger RRDTm3,

Glad you guys finally realize how much courage it takes to jump into a sunny friendly DZ with girls, cold beer and a parking lot with your car in it. :D

Regards,
Mark
RGR Mac
Ranger

Post by RGR Mac »

377 wrote:Ranger RRDTm3,

Glad you guys finally realize how much courage it takes to jump into a sunny friendly DZ with girls, cold beer and a parking lot with your car in it. :D

Regards,
Mark
You jumped w/ the Air Force? 8)
Co B/1-75 RGR(81-85)
Army Guard 96-to the present day
E-8/MSG.
Ranger Class 12-82
"You can have one for free if it will shut the hole under your nose"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

RGR Mac wrote:
377 wrote:Ranger RRDTm3,

Regards,
Mark
You jumped w/ the Air Force? 8)
Shit I thought he was talking about my combat jump? :shock:
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RGR Mac
Ranger

Post by RGR Mac »

The key to explaining a gold star after 25 years I've learned is to..
Get a very serious look on your face
Shake your head slowly from side to side
And turn and walk a way...they never ask again.
Co B/1-75 RGR(81-85)
E-8/MSG.
Ranger Class 12-82
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

RGR Mac wrote:The key to explaining a gold star after 25 years I've learned is to..
Excellent. Im thinking the same would would when asked about hogging. 8)
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

RGR Mac wrote:The key to explaining a gold star after 25 years I've learned is to..
Awesome...even I need a mentor from time to time
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RGR Mac
Ranger

Post by RGR Mac »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:
Excellent. Im thinking the same would would when asked about hogging. 8)

Only difference is the look, which should be replaced w/ a glow that can only be described as exceptional pride for such a noble undertaking.

RGR Mac-"Mentor to Ranger Siverback".-Was mentioning you to The Duke in Savannah in Oct.
Co B/1-75 RGR(81-85)
E-8/MSG.
Ranger Class 12-82

Return to “The Mosh Pit”