My new pistol

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
lawdog
Tadpole

Post by lawdog »

:shock: Just got to view the videos. That is fucking great. Where'd you get three round burst installed on a 1911? :lol:
That pistol looks like a champ to shoot. Bring her out this way and we'll have some fun.
Nice piece Berk.
“You got the right to remain silent, so shut the fuck up, ok? You got the right to an attorney. If you can't afford an attorney, we will provide you with the dumbest fucking lawyer on earth. If you get Johnny Cochrane, I'll kill ya!â€
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

Its not supposed to do that. :shock:

From what I've read, its a common occurence with the SVI INfinity Tri-glide trigger in the gun, it needs a tad bit more fitting where it engages the sear.

You're in Wyoming? I don't know when I'll get that way, but if you get to Oregon, I'll round up some of my friends, and we can go over the mountains and pop some sage rats. :twisted:
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
lawdog
Tadpole

Post by lawdog »

Brian,

I had a Glock go auto on me once. The engagement where the trigger bar meets the firing pin was too small and it "rocked" with me once. Quick replacement trigger bar and problem fixed. I wouldn't have looked at it as a "problem" if it wasn't a duty gun. Shit that was fun.

Have you ever fired the Glock 18? That's the one with the selector switch for full auto. I dumped a 17 round mag in less that a second. Talk about a kick in the ass?

Sage rats huh? I have so many acres of those bastards around here for anyone to come enjoy. Sage rats is a new term for me though. I like it. I'll definitely look you up if I ever get up that way. I'll be in Boise, Idaho July 7-9 for a Calibre Press Survival Seminar. Get down that way if you can.

Travis
“You got the right to remain silent, so shut the fuck up, ok? You got the right to an attorney. If you can't afford an attorney, we will provide you with the dumbest fucking lawyer on earth. If you get Johnny Cochrane, I'll kill ya!â€
lawdog
Tadpole

Post by lawdog »

Smokin Joe wrote: Lawdog,

I went to the Glock Armorer School last month and they had mentioned how to make ANY glock full auto. Its pretty slick as easy to do. NOT that I would ever condon such behavior or illeagl act. :twisted: The Glock 18 cyclic rate is 1800 rpm if you shoot hot ammo like a +P+ and it can go up to 1900 rpm. :D
Have you tried it yet? I haven't got the nerve. Doesn't take but a second and I've got the replacement parts. I don't know why I'm holding up.
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

There is a trigger job you can make on a glock to reduce the takeup and overtravel, combined with some other mods to get the trigger close to a decent 1911-style SA trigger. It involves putting set screws into the ejector housing, and cutting a stair-step in the trigger safety. The set screws eliminate the takeup and overtravel, and the stair-step is cut to engage the frame, because if you take out all the slop built into the trigger with the set screws, the trigger safety won't engage the frame.

You also need to radius the plunger, and perform some other mods to the striker. If you aren't careful, you can end up with a trigger mechanism that is unreliable.

There are 3 guys that I know of that do competition-only trigger jobs on the Glock, and each one will set you back $200 or so once you factor in the cost of shipping each way.
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

An update to my STI pistol:

Finally got it back from the guy that built it. He welded up the dovetail he cut wrong for the rear sight, recut it and cleaned up the trigger problems that I was having.

What he didn't do:
Properly fit the guiderod/reverse plug
Remove enough material from the barrel ramp/link area
Pin the grip safety
or
TEST FIRE IT!

My pistol was the last one he built. He is getting out of the business for whatever reasons, and thats probably a good thing after some things I heard from interested 3rd parties.

Its with a different gunsmith now getting tweaked. I should have had this guy build me a gun to begin with. Live and Learn.

The slide would lock open without engaging the slide lock. The hammer was hitting the bottom of the rear sight. There was considerable "stiction" to the slide action. The smith I gave it to yesterday adjusted the rear sight up so the hammer would clear it, and pulled the guiderod and reverse plug from his pistol, installed it in mine, and it ran flawlessly. I borrowed some 200gr .40 ammo from a fellow shooter and a magazine, and was hitting spent shotgun shells at 15 yards with ZERO problems.

I had to snivel and kiss some ass to get this guy to agree to fix my gun.

I could have taken it back to the guy that built it and made him fix the problems, but by this point in time, I really wanted to make sure someone with a longer track record in tuning 1911-style handguns went through it as I didn't want to end up wasting a couple of thousand dollars in a gun that didn't work right.

I might have saved some money, but in the long run, it certainly wasn't worth it.

Return to “Weapons of War”