Long Update

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
sbernal
Inprocessing

Long Update

Post by sbernal »

Hello Rangers.
It was been a long time since I updated back in April. I guess I just felt there weren't any major happenings, but here's a little of what's happened since I shipped for OSUT.
I spent one week at Reception, and was shipped out to F 2-54 to become an 11C. I have to say I wasn't at all pleased about getting 11C, but I guess it's not all bad.

I qualified 34 on BRM and 96% (Expert) on my Gunners exam. On my last PFT I got 61 PU, 53 SU, and ran a 14:14. That was my retest after failing the final APFT with 60 PU, 49 SU, and 13:32. On the retest we only had 1:30 on PU and SU and ran the 2 miles on a track with about 2" of sand. My technique was wrong on my sit-ups all through OSUT, it wasn't until after the last APFT that I realized what I was doing wrong. I was only breathing when I had to, like every 5,6 situps. I would get burned out in the low 40's. After that I always did between 57-64 situps even on my fourth set. That's still not so good but better than low 40's. Guys in my platoon had always been surprised because I could do more flutterkicks than most and won a "plank" competition, but couldn't do many situps.

I spent a week at airborne hold then shipped to B Co at Airborne. I failed my situps again with 42. I had gone back to my old habbit of not breathing. Ten minutes latter on the retest I focused on my technique and did 54 without stopping in less then 1:15.
I was first to jump out of the whole class, and was first again 2 other times.

I arrived at RIP Hold August 22. Took a PT test the following Tuesday and failed my situps again. 45 PU, 40 SU, and 14:08, 7 Pullups. I was one of the "lucky" ones to get a RIP cadre as my grader. He didn't start counting my situps until I had done 12. He said I wasn't going all the way up. In a regular PT test I would have done at least 55-60. By all the way up I mean all the way up until you can't go any more, not just the back of neck to lower spine thing. I guess it was a good learning experience though. We had pretty good PT at hold, always challenging but I never felt it was too hard. I never fell out or back from any run, whether the 6 Mile run, or the 3/4 mile runs I always ended up further in the formation than I started. I'm sure I hurt my right heel on the night jump at Airborne. I can fell where a small bone sticks out, like it's pushed to one side compared with my other foot. It hurts like crazy when I walk or stand but it isn't too painful when I run. I can't adequately take care of it right now without compromising my goal. I almost don't want to find out what's wrong with it right now.

Since I failed that PT test I missed Class 12-08. I passed the next PT test with 55 PU, 58 SU, 13:42, 7 Pullups. Now i'm in processed into class 01-09 with about 91 other people. With all the inserts that will be joining us the total count is 108, class 12-08 graduated with 113.

Thank you Rangers for the advice you've given to myself and others that has brought me to the door of opportunity. Now that everything is strapped and tightened I jump. Putting the little i've learned with the experiences of others into practice to accomplish that which few attept and even fewer achieve. I will take one day at a time and give "...one hundred percent and then some."

I'm excited to see what happens on Monday.

-sam
Ship Date: 20080430

“Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.â€
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Ideally, your pushups and situps would be double what they are now going into RIP. Physically, your body may be doing all the situps it can do right now. That can change, and faster than you think, with the proper motivation.

You need now to tap into your mental reserves. Review the Ranger Creed, the part where it says faster, farther etc... Does this mean that only those that are physically capable to move faster and farther will become Rangers? I think it means that those that are Rangers know how to rise up to a difficult situation and become victorious despite difficult circumstances where lesser men fail.

Once at RIP, you will see literally dozens of PT studs fail RIP. It isn't all about PT toughness although that is an excellent starting point and base line.

It is also about mental toughness. This means you need to reach deep down inside and find an extra 30 or 40 pushups and situps. Where are they? They are in your brain.

Decide now that failure IS NOT AN OPTION and do what you need to do to reach your Ranger objective. It is worth whatever pain and suffering it takes to get there.

I EXPECT you to earn your scroll and tan beret in the next few weeks. I'm counting on you to rise up to the challenge. Don't dissapoint me, but especially don't dissapoint yourself. A poor decision (to quit or fail, same end result) only takes a second to make, but you are the one that will be forced to live with
that decision the rest of your life.

Find the strength you need to become a Ranger that is inside you.... it's there, trust me. You just have to access it and then knock out anything that is required of you. Don't let anything or anyone (especially yourself) stand in your way. Remember that if your vision does not cost you something, then it is only a daydream.

RTO out.
sbernal
Inprocessing

Post by sbernal »

Rangers,
thought I'd give an update on RIP.
Finished weak 1 today. We weren't supposed to get realised until tomorrow but I guess the commander gave all the Cadre the day off. So far the most challenging part has been the 6 mile ruck. Several recycles from other classes and guys who've graduated say that ruck was the worst than their 6 mile ruck. It sucked for many reasons.

Most people are saying that our class is easier. But those people aren't even in my class. I guess it's easier in some areas and harder in others, like the ruck. Another reason, the cadre are saying our class is better, more squared away, than other classes especially the last one. They said the last class was the worse this year, I'm guessing the size of the class contributes to stuff like that. We're down to 73 out of 93, but I think that includes a couple of inserts. I'm really hoping it doesn't rain durring Cole Range. But regardless, I'm hear and the pain and cold are a part of what lies ahead of me next weak.
Pushing on.

-sam

“Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.â€
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Keep on doing it.... Never, Never Quit!
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Good SITREP Sam, keep driving on and Never quit!!!
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP. Just take it one hour at a time. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
sbernal
Inprocessing

Post by sbernal »

Roger that Rangers.

Roger XCrunner, you must have stayed in good old 1st platoon's bay.

Cole Range for class 01-09 is now history.
I have to say I'm a little dissapointed, it wasn't as hard as I expected. It definately sucked but unfortunately there are still guys in my class that don't belong here. We have Monday off that leaves us with only 7 more training days.

One thing my sister reminded me of is that my golden birthday is durring week 4. I've always wanted to do something memorable for my golden birthday. Well that's deffinately going to happen, my birthday is on our last training day, the 12 mile Ruck. Totally awesome!
That's it for now.

-sam

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

sbernal wrote:I have to say I'm a little dissapointed, it wasn't as hard as I expected. It definately sucked but unfortunately there are still guys in my class that don't belong here.
Let's not get overconfident. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Drive on...
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “Letters from School”