Companies start competing for bailout money

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
RTO
BANNED

Companies start competing for bailout money

Post by RTO »

WASHINGTON – The bailout is now the hottest lobbying game in town.

Insurers, automakers and American subsidiaries of foreign banks all want the Treasury Department to cut them a piece of the largest government rescue in U.S. history.

The betting is that many with their hands out will be successful, especially with financial markets in a stomach-churning dive and predictions the economy is about to tumble into a deep recession.

These groups argue that the credit squeeze is so severe and the risks to the economy so dire that their industries need financial support as well.

The Treasury is considering requests from a variety of industries, but has not decided whether to expand the program, officials said Saturday.

Lobbying efforts are intensifying.

Read Full Article...
smokn38
Paratrooper

Post by smokn38 »

Here is a problem I have. Was the bailout designed for this purpose?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1224854 ... od=testMod

"In a sign that the federal government wants to rid the U.S. banking industry of some of its weakest players, regulators pushed National City Corp. into a $5.08 billion sale to PNC Financial Services Group Inc., people familiar with the situation said."

I understand the concern with weak banks, but allowing the Federal Government to loan money to banks of their choosing to purchase what they perceive as weaker institutions is moving into territory I'm not real comfortable with. National City has issues. But now government is stepping in and choosing who stays and who goes.
HHC 1/508th Panama 1989-1990
HHC and A Co 1/505th 1990-1992
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

What I see happening is the companies that are most deserving or would best utalize the cash flow to boost the economy will get little to nothing while greedy corporate America dips into the kitty without regard or regulation till it is depleted.
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

RTO wrote:What I see happening is the companies that are most deserving or would best utalize the cash flow to boost the economy will get little to nothing while greedy corporate America dips into the kitty without regard or regulation till it is depleted.
Translation:

Companies that have supported the Democrats achieving totalitarian control of the Executive and Judicial branches will now be the most deserving.

Some animals are more equal than others.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

rgrokelley wrote:Some animals are more equal than others.
George Orwell was right.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Boudicca
Tadpole

Post by Boudicca »

You sound so cynical, they probably just have an expensive BIG party coming up. Booze ain't cheap, ya know.
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction.
<2> Ranger Mom
RIP 10-08 & RS 10-09
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

rgrokelley wrote:
RTO wrote:What I see happening is the companies that are most deserving or would best utalize the cash flow to boost the economy will get little to nothing while greedy corporate America dips into the kitty without regard or regulation till it is depleted.
Translation:

Companies that have supported the Democrats achieving totalitarian control of the Executive and Judicial branches will now be the most deserving.

Some animals are more equal than others.
I was under the impression that most big companies hedged their bets and backed both parties. After all, it's not like it's hard to hit the contribution cap for most of them.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic

Return to “The News Dump”