Do I have what it takes statisically?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Balian
Embryo

Do I have what it takes statisically?

Post by Balian »

Mentally I know I have what it takes, but to the eyes of meps or any other military analyst I need to know a few things.

Being 6,4 250 is that over weight even if I am in shape cosmetically if that makes any sense. (as in I do not have a belly or excess fat protruding from my body and can easily run 5 miles non stop at this very moment) I do work out 3 times weekly and plan to increase that insaley a few months previous of my deployment if I do get the opt 40 contrat.

My main concern is my high blood pressure, I have recieved it from both sides of my family. However my father, brother, and grandfather all have served in the military. I did do some research and went to the local fire department to have a check up. I was at 158/90!

If I do my best to lower my sodium intake and any other possible remedy I might find, as well as use medication prescribed by a doctor. Can I possibly get a waiver and not have any qualms about being qualified for the rangers?
What man is a man that does not better the world?
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Having read your introduction and this post as well, I would strongly encourage you to re-read all stickies in each forum PRIOR to posting.

There is no ideal body type to be a Ranger. My Ranger buddy played DE against Howie Long in college.

Personally, I have a really hard time with this statement:
Mentally I know I have what it takes,
How exactly, do you feel quallified to make this claim?

can easily run 5 miles non stop at this very moment
But can you do it in 40 minutes, consistently?

I also suggest you start getting physically and mentally prepared now, rather than wait until you're a few months out from shipping.

Also consider getting a mentor once you've obtained your Option 40.
Balian
Embryo

I agree

Post by Balian »

Ranger Invictus

I simply have myself hyped up over the prospect of becoming a ranger and I suppose I have convinced myself I am ready to take on the challenge. I apologize for saying "I am mentally ready" I suppose a better way to describe it would be I believe I might have the mental capacity to handle what may happen. I will just have to find out and learn what it truly means to be a ranger and hopefully I can handle it.
Balian
Embryo

fyi

Post by Balian »

I do appreciate the information I will step up my work outs and run as many miles as I can a day. Also, as far as the mentor goes I am assuming the recruiter I go to can assist me in finding one? I do have a friend of mine who was a green beret. I imagine he would know a thing or two to help me along.

And lol I will get to 5 miles in 40 mins Ill run it today and see how slow I am and make it my goal to get to 40 mins or better.

I will keep reading the stickies and try my best to not post redundant questions.

Thanks!
Invictus
Ranger

Re: fyi

Post by Invictus »

Balian wrote:I do appreciate the information I will step up my work outs and run as many miles as I can a day. Also, as far as the mentor goes I am assuming the recruiter I go to can assist me in finding one? I do have a friend of mine who was a green beret. I imagine he would know a thing or two to help me along.

And lol I will get to 5 miles in 40 mins Ill run it today and see how slow I am and make it my goal to get to 40 mins or better.

I will keep reading the stickies and try my best to not post redundant questions.

Thanks!
Sounds like you have the right attitude. There is a forum here where you can request a mentor, which would be a Ranger from this site to help you prepare physically and mentally. First you have to secure an Option 40 contract.
Balian
Embryo

Good news to me then

Post by Balian »

Awesome,

I spoke to a recruiter this morning and we set up a meeting tomorrow morning. Hopefully everything goes smoothly I will post on here once I get back from that meeting. Thanks for the info!
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

The maximum allowable weight for a 21 year old at 6'4" is 217 lbs.
You exceed the max weight by some 30 lbs. At current weight of 250 lbs,
you will be flagged almost immediately and measured for body fat:

"Soldiers who exceed the weight charts are measured for body-fat. Those who exceed the Army body-fat standards are enrolled in the Army Weight Management Program. Those in the weight management program must lose between 3 and 8 pounds per month until they meet body-fat standards. Those who fail to make satisfactory progress are subject to involuntary discharge.

Individuals who exceed body-fat standards are ineligible for promotion, professional military education, most non-mandatory training schools, and reenlistment.
"
----------------------------------
So it all depends on your body composition and percentage of body fat. If you are only 'single digit' body fat and can run like the wind, you shouldn't have any problems.
If, however your BF is up around 25% or so, you've got some work to do big guy! 8)

Another thing to consider is the saying "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" tends to be very true when falling from the sky. :shock:
Balian
Embryo

Post by Balian »

I appreciate the response and the information Ranger
RTO

I'm pretty sure that I am not at 25% I might be around 15% to 17% last time I checked. As of right now I have until the spring to tone down, which I think will be possible if I stick to the routine I found on how to prepare for ranger pt. I will also hire a personal trainer and continue my 3day work outs on top of the ranger pt training guide. I imagine 220 is possible by the time I get ready to head out. And you ain't kidding about the bigger they are the harder they fall.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Good news to me then

Post by KW Driver »

Balian wrote:Awesome,

I spoke to a recruiter this morning and we set up a meeting tomorrow morning. Hopefully everything goes smoothly I will post on here once I get back from that meeting. Thanks for the info!
just exactly who are you talking to here? you had better start acting and typing in the manner we expect from civilians if you want to continue to receive help or stay here.

you're a big boy. you need to start working endurance PT. it's the big boys who quit 6 hours into a walk with 60lbs on their backs, while some 5'6", 135 lb-er trucks along till the sun comes up in RIP, or Ranger school.

you had better start figuring out a way to take care of your knees. I've been 6', 200lbs my whole career. I'm 39, still on active duty, and my knees and ankles are thrashed. I haven't gone on a single run in the last 5 years that didn't hurt. luckily, my back is good still.

got a buddy, your size, and a weight monkey. was a Cav scout and a pilot. he can't run, and some days can barely walk on his knees. he was sent home from Iraq early cause he couldn't fly and is now non-deployable for his back.

so throw big weight, bench 400, ignore your core, and you can be like another one of my guys, who was medivac'd home after he shattered two vertebrae when he tripped off a treadmill. he's not cleared to fly yet either.

that 5 mile, 40 minute run, it will be the easiest run you do in BN if it's anything like when I was there.

and finally, that you are mentally ready for this is a BOLD fucking statement. hope you can walk that walk you just sold wolf tickets to.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

looking at your topic title again, by simply put it up there, mentally no, you won't make it.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Hire a personal trainer?

Shut the fuck up.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Body fat standards do not apply to Soldiers in their first 6 months.

That isn't an excuse.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

KW Driver wrote:looking at your topic title again, by simply put it up there, mentally no, you won't make it.
"syphilitically speaking, from a Ghonorrhea stand point, it's in venerial to me."

I, therefore agree with the driver... NOGO.
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90

Return to “Recruitment Process”