RS questions

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
2/75_wife
Ranger Wife

RS questions

Post by 2/75_wife »

Good evening, Rangers.

My husband's Ranger School class began today. I spoke with him this weekend and though he didn't enjoy it - well, maybe a little in a sadistic sort of way - he seemed to make it through Pre-Ranger without any trouble. We've heard a lot of rumors that Pre-Ranger is worse than the actual nine weeks of Ranger School and I was wondering if any of you gentlemen found that to be true?

Also, I have searched this site as well as checked out the official Ranger Training Brigade site and I've found conflicting information regarding the recycle rate. I've seen anywhere between 45-80% recycle and I was hoping an actual Ranger might be able to lessen the gap for me. Consequently, none of the information I've found gives the statistics for just battalion Rangers versus anyone who attends Ranger School. I wonder if the success rate is higher within the Regiment?

Thank you so much for allowing us wives to bombard you with our questions!
Proud Ranger Wife
B Co. 1st PLT
2/75 Ranger Regiment
Fort Lewis, WA
Silverback
Ranger

Re: RS questions

Post by Silverback »

2/75_wife wrote: We've heard a lot of rumors that Pre-Ranger is worse than the actual nine weeks of Ranger School and I was wondering if any of you gentlemen found that to be true?
This comparison holds true if you look at it from an "event saturation" perspective. PRC Loads a lot of events in a short time. Ranger school is more of a "Slow burn" after the first week.
2/75_wife wrote: I've seen anywhere between 45-80% recycle and I was hoping an actual Ranger might be able to lessen the gap for me.
Historically right at 50% of the graduates are original members of the class. Success or failure at Ranger school is dictated by a lot of variables. In the "Old days" I think guys from the Regiment had an advantage due to the type of training they participated in however, in more recent times combat arms soldiers are just about tactically equal (in terms of Ranger school). The advantage for all students is attendance of a good Pre-Ranger course.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Silverback wrote:Historically right at 50% of the graduates are original members of the class. Success or failure at Ranger school is dictated by a lot of variables. In the "Old days" I think guys from the Regiment had an advantage due to the type of training they participated in however, in more recent times combat arms soldiers are just about tactically equal (in terms of Ranger school). The advantage for all students is attendance of a good Pre-Ranger course.
I have discussed this issue with a number of former members of the Ranger School cadre over the years. It appears that statistically, the "50% attrition" rate has held steady for the past half century. There are a number of reasons cited, but it appears to be an accepted fact.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Jim wrote:
Silverback wrote:Historically right at 50% of the graduates are original members of the class. Success or failure at Ranger school is dictated by a lot of variables. In the "Old days" I think guys from the Regiment had an advantage due to the type of training they participated in however, in more recent times combat arms soldiers are just about tactically equal (in terms of Ranger school). The advantage for all students is attendance of a good Pre-Ranger course.
I have discussed this issue with a number of former members of the Ranger School cadre over the years. It appears that statistically, the "50% attrition" rate has held steady for the past half century. There are a number of reasons cited, but it appears to be an accepted fact.
I was involved in a "telling of the story" as it pertains to Ranger school attrition. It may be unrelated but New Orleans hero LTG Honore was the 2IC at Benning at the time and he (although un-tabbed) spent an inordinate amount of time reviewing RTB and the standards we had which resulted in some minor changes the most visible being changing of the uniform for the 5-mile standard run. anyway...It was during the reign of Col. Helmick and someone at DA was busting a gut to "increase productivity". So the records were pulled back to day one and databases were created and numbers were tweaked all in the hopes of proving that standards had "crept forward". When the story was told and the fuzzy math was invoked...50%ish was, is and probably always be the magic number.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Silverback wrote:
Jim wrote:
I was involved in a "telling of the story" as it pertains to Ranger school attrition. It may be unrelated but New Orleans hero LTG Honore was the 2IC at Benning at the time and he (although un-tabbed) spent an inordinate amount of time reviewing RTB and the standards we had which resulted in some minor changes the most visible being changing of the uniform for the 5-mile standard run. anyway...It was during the reign of Col. Helmick and someone at DA was busting a gut to "increase productivity". So the records were pulled back to day one and databases were created and numbers were tweaked all in the hopes of proving that standards had "crept forward". When the story was told and the fuzzy math was invoked...50%ish was, is and probably always be the magic number.
Certainly was that way 39 years ago. My class was almost exactly 50% as I recall.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
2/75_wife
Ranger Wife

Post by 2/75_wife »

Thank you Ranger Silverback and Ranger Jim for taking the time to answer my questions. I happen to think my Ranger is pretty tough, mentally and physically and he has some of the craziest endurance I've ever seen, but even so, it eases a wife's worries to hear 50% instead of 20%! Thanks again!
Proud Ranger Wife
B Co. 1st PLT
2/75 Ranger Regiment
Fort Lewis, WA

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”