Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

kkillert0fu
Embryo

Introduction

Post by kkillert0fu »

Hello Rangers,
My name is Erik, soon to be 22 years old, a student at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, and after a couple of years lurking on this site I have decided that my entry into the US Military is imminent enough that becoming a member of the site would be appropriate. I was born and raised in Southern California (San Pedro to be exact) and have always had an interest in US Military Special Operations. As a student, I've bounced around a little in the last three years, worked full time for a while, been to two different colleges now, and I find myself entering my 4th year of college with little more than a hodge-podge of units that can qualify me as a Junior. During this time, however, and after having been rather dissasisfied with college life and the courses I was taking, I am proud to say that I was somebody who lived by the idea that education does not always need to come in a classroom. By this I mean that I spent much of my time learning about foreign language and cultures, the history of modern civilization, international economics (specifically in the third world), and I have also developed a deep passion for travel.

My military interests go back quite some time. I, like all of us, have always had a passion for special operations units like the SEALs and SF (I've picked up that the best route to SF is through the Rangers). A combination of my overall dissatisfaction with college life, and thoughts of potential careers thereafter, and my passion for military spec ops has provided me with the confidence that there is nothing I can do but be a member of such a unit. Already I know that I am either going to make it or die trying, some thing I have never felt so strongly about in my entire life. But it has also driven me crazy the last year or so regarding which path would be the best for me to take. That is something I would like to address in a later post and/or through PM conversations with some of the members of this site. After seeing other sites of military subject matter I have found that armyranger.com has the most practical information for those seeking a career in US Army Special Operations.

Physically, at 5'8, 155lbs, I am quite active and keep myself very fit. I have yet to give myself a PT test but will do so in the coming days. When I do work out I do multiple sets of 20-30 pushups, 20-30 situps, some weightlifting, and I play a lot of basketball so timed runs shouldn't be an issue for me. The only real setback I would have is my eyesight, but I have heard many times of Rangers wearing glasses while in the Regiment, so I'm not too worried about that. My overall concern is whether I should enlist now with the 11X Option 40, spend my time in the Rangers, and then go for SF, or if I should I continue with college, sort of legitimize my interests with a degree in history and minor in economics, and then enlist, either with the Option 40, 18X Contract, or the Navy's SEAL Challenge Program. Again, something I would like to discuss in length in a future post.

Thank you taking the time to read my introduction. I would appreciate any help any one can give me. I hope to discuss things with some of you shortly.
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Welcome. Since nobody really knows you it would be hard to suggest what to do. Read. Tons of information here to decide if being a Ranger is for you.

PM Puck with questions.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:Welcome. Since nobody really knows you it would be hard to suggest what to do. Read. Tons of information here to decide if being a Ranger is for you.

PM Puck with questions.
That is rgrpuck. He's the resident Q/A guru.
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com. If you will look, listen and pay attention to details you can learn a great deal here.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

ROE PM Inbound.

You will probably find two trains of thought here. You see we are a microcosm of society and regardless of perception, a diverse lot.

The first group will say.."you can always go to college, enlist now.".

The second group, dependent on your proximity to graduation will tell you "finish your degree".

This of course is a question that only YOU can answer and you should do what is right for you.
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?

Post by rgrpuck »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:Welcome. Since nobody really knows you it would be hard to suggest what to do. Read. Tons of information here to decide if being a Ranger is for you.

PM Puck with questions.

.....Fuck you ....
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Nomad wrote:

PM Puck with questions.
......and you
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Dont pm me ........ :evil:
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

rgrpuck wrote:
Nomad wrote:

PM Puck with questions.
......and you
:lol:
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I have a commo line via PM with this one.

I think he is getting the gist of what is going on here.

We shall see... we shall see. :roll:
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Return to “Introduction Archive”