Finally received a letter from the Kid...

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Mom2aSoldier
Embryo

Finally received a letter from the Kid...

Post by Mom2aSoldier »

As you all know already my son is in OSUT right now. We finally received a letter on Thursday and the damn kid is actually enjoying basic training. I've been sitting home wondering and worrying and he is having fun, he enjoys it. I would like to share the letter with everyone since it actually shows a positive side of OSUT for those who are DEP.

Also, if there is a Ranger who would be willing to mentor him while he is in training I think it would be great and he would really appreciate it. He never found this site before he left, but I think it would do a world of wonders to actually correspond wth someone who has been through what he will go through.

Well here is his first letter home, if anything needs to be removed Rangers feel free to remove it. I delated names to protect the innocent...LOL

Dear Mom and Mike,

Basic has been great so far. The first week was hell! There were only a few fun parts. When we came in the buses they started throwing smoke grenades, flash grenades, mortar rounds, and shooting .50 caliber blanks. We had to run through all of it to get to the CTA. Then we were separated into our platoon. I'm in A 1-19 4th platoon. We got smoked alot the first week for stupid shit like yelling "At ease" when there was an NCO already present, forgetting to salute an Officer when he walks by, calling Drill Sergeant "Sir" or saying "Sorry Drill Sergeant" also "Thank you Drill Sergeant." By what the Drill Sergeants say, we are the hardest working platoon out of the four. We also have the hardest working Drill Sergeants.

We started with three DI's. DS ***** the biggest dipshit ever. The only way I can describe him is the guy yelling at Kumar for hogging a bush to pee on in 'Harold and Kumar go to White Castle.' Then we have DS ********, he's good but doesn't take any shit and has no problem smoking everybody in the platoon. Then we have SDS (Senior Drill Sergeant) ********, AKA 'The White Devil', we'll just leave it at that. DS ***** left for good the second week.

We did the gas chamber on Wednesday. In all honesty it was awesome. I had no problem in there what so ever. When I took my mask off it only took a minute to get the breathing done so I could breathe without coughing up a lung like 3/4 of all the platoons did. We had a DS from 3rd platoon in there telling people what to do without a mask. He was in there for over two hours. He compared the gas chamber to a sauna. On Friday we went to Eagle Tower. We did the rope bridges. Then we repelled down a 50ft. wall. That was the best part of the week. In week one we had about 16 guys go down from the heat. I'm pretty sure we only had 2 guys go AWOL, or at least try, they got caught and the 1st Sergeant ripped them a new one. Our 1st Sergeant is a Ranger. He doesn't take any shit, but is more than willing to help you if you at least try. In week two we had Land NAV, it was fun. They gave us a map, compass, and protractor, and points to find in the woods. So pretty much for four days we only saw the DS's for about 10 hours. Then we slept the night in the field. It was ok, but could have been better. On the last day of Land NAV we had a guy go down for heat stroke, at first they thought it was a seizure because he puked all over, shook uncontrollably and was unresponsive. Friday we did the obstacle course. It was the hardest/funnest part of the week. Oh yeah, the fun part of Land NAV down here was the wildlife...deer, coyotes, hogs, and a shitload of crazy looking spiders. Other that that after we did the obstacle course the first time, we picked 10 guys from our platoon to do it again, but this time we were racing the other platoons. We came in first by over 30 seconds. There was a reporter there taking pictures and getting comments from the DS's. I overheard the SDS say, "that for the first two weeks we make it hell for everybody even when they do things right we tell them it's wrong and smoke them." Then a few of the guys from my platoon saw the 1st Sergeant yelling at ALL the DS's telling them they had to move us to white phase on Monday instead of the usual 11 weeks of red phase. Than one of the DS's asked why, SDS said, "How in the hell are those kids supposed to learn any responsibility if your always down their throat!"

Saturday we got smoked all day learning the Infantryman's Creed, General Orders, and the Seven Army Values.

Today I went to the Protestant service. It's a hundred times better than the Roman Catholic masses. They play real music, Evanescence and a few other bands, can't think of their names at the moment. I'm pretty sure I'm going to continue going, it was a good experience. This coming week we're doing special weapons and BRM. I can't wait, LOL!

Thanks for the cards, there really needed right now. Also can you send PLENTY of pics of EVERYBODY! Even Grizzly!

Love,
Carlo

Thanks Rangers and everyone that's here. You have difinitely made this much easier on this mom.

PS: Grizzly is our pit bull who doesn't know he is a pit bull.

Rose
Born to be wild, all others need not apply.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Mom2aSoldier

Post by Steadfast »

Dear Mom2aSoldier,

The avatar you are currently using Image is unauthorized (for you), it is available to Rangers & Veteran's of which catergory you are not from or that you failed to mention in your introduction - < == clicky here. Perhaps you could select one fitting to a Mom such as yourself, otherwise select one from DEP selection.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Mom2aSoldier
Embryo

Post by Mom2aSoldier »

Sorry Ranger Steadfast. I did try to link to one from my photobucket account but it wouldn't show up, perhaps I did something wrong when loaded it. I did change the avatar though until I can figure out how to get the other one to show up.

Rose
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Mom2aSoldier wrote:Sorry Ranger Steadfast. I did try to link to one from my photobucket account but it wouldn't show up, perhaps I did something wrong when loaded it. I did change the avatar though until I can figure out how to get the other one to show up.

Rose
Not to detract from your all important topic you might check out Board Support and on any of the 5 pages view subject: avatar and see which is right for you.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
rgrking
Ranger

Post by rgrking »

Great Sitrep. Keep the man going. Remind him to never quit.
rgrking

RS2 1995 -1996

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8
Mom2aSoldier
Embryo

Post by Mom2aSoldier »

Steadfast wrote:
Mom2aSoldier wrote:Sorry Ranger Steadfast. I did try to link to one from my photobucket account but it wouldn't show up, perhaps I did something wrong when loaded it. I did change the avatar though until I can figure out how to get the other one to show up.

Rose
Not to detract from your all important topic you might check out Board Support and on any of the 5 pages view subject: avatar and see which is right for you.
Thanks Ranger Steadfast.I was able to use my original avatar. Hope the ladies like it....<EG>

Rose
Mom2aSoldier
Embryo

Post by Mom2aSoldier »

rgrking wrote:Great Sitrep. Keep the man going. Remind him to never quit.
If he even thinks of quitting he is going have a couple of pairs of hubbies size 13's buried somewhere. Hell even a colonoscopy wouldn't find them.

All kiddng aside it was a rough day for us since it was his birthday. We are hoping he will be able to call tomorrow.

Rose
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Mom2aSoldier wrote:
rgrking wrote:Great Sitrep. Keep the man going. Remind him to never quit.
If he even thinks of quitting he is going have a couple of pairs of hubbies size 13's buried somewhere. Hell even a colonoscopy wouldn't find them.

All kiddng aside it was a rough day for us since it was his birthday. We are hoping he will be able to call tomorrow.

Rose
Get used to him not being able to call for weeks on end, and snail mail being few and far between. It is a simple fact of his reality now that he won't often have the time for either, and when he does it will be brief. Know this, that he is in very capable hands and will contact you as soon as he is able.

If I had a buck for every time I worked on a birthday or major holiday... :roll:
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “Letters from School”