SITREP from OSUT

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
DRM
Paratrooper

SITREP from OSUT

Post by DRM »

Rangers,

It's currently week 8. My platoon received a 4-hour Sand Hill pass for winning every fucking competition in the Company so far (including every bay inspection).

To all the current DEPs, I have some advice for you.

1) PT. Seriously. You will lose a lot of your run time while you waste your time at 30th AG. You can do pushups/situps on your own at night, but you can't run. I was there for 9 days and lost almost 2 minutes on my run. I've gained it back, but my Company doesn't run for shit. We've only had 3 AGR's in 8 weeks. Don't count on OSUT to make you a fast runner. Trust me, it won't.

2) Drink water. Drink water. Drink water. Everytime you hydrate, you're hydrating for the next day. Don't wait until the morning of, say, an 8 mile roadmarch to drink a fucking canteen. Before you rack out the night before, force hydrate two canteens and THEN rack out. We had a recruit die of a heat stroke. Fort Benning is no fucking joke. DRINK YOUR FUCKING WATER.

3) Don't sweat anything. OSUT is fucking easy. Do what the DS tell you, when they tell you, how they tell you. It's worked for me so far.

4) Don't be a pussy. When you do Eagle Tower, fucking rappel like a man. When you do the Confidence Course, move your ass across the obstacles. Don't be that fag in the platoon who takes his fucking time. Do the shit, get it over with, and move the fuck out.

As for me, I'm doing fine. Some minor injuries, but nothing to bitch about. I'll heal up quickly. I've been 8 weeks so far without going to sick call once. I advise the DEPs that if it's a minor ailment, don't worry about it. Your body will heal. You don't want to get put on profile for too long and then get restarded for missing too much training.

For the Rangers, I qualified Marksman (I'm ashamed. Pushups coming. Feet elevated) I'm the RTO of my FT. I had to hump the 240B for a week, but I'm lucky to be RTO. To all the DEPs, the best part of being RTO is the rucksack flop. Trust me, when you go to pull security and everyone has to take a knee for 2 hours, you get to sit on your happy ass.

I'll write more next weekend on my 36 hour pass. Until then,

Rangers, thank you for all the advice. I'm having the time of my life. I work on my PT every day and I look forward to learning more and more.

Driving On,
-DRM
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Good SITREP.

Being many years removed from Basic, this all sounds like very good advice. Especially the hydrating part.

Stay focused DRM, and keep us updated.
DRM
Paratrooper

Post by DRM »

Rangers,

One last thing...

DEPs, this is how everything has worked for me so far:

Week 1: S-4 Issue, M16 Issue, Intro to CLS, Intro to Land Nav, Obstacle Course/Confidence Course, NBC Chamber (LOADS OF FUN! Take deep breaths in the chamber and be sure to drink milk the morning you go. You'll LOVE it!), basic combatives (GFT...fucking fag shit)

Week 2: Intro to BRM (Basic Rifle Marksmanship), more Land Nav, CLS Certification, more GFT, pugil sticks.

Week 3: BRM, Land Nav, 2-mile roadmarch, Phase testing. Study the rank structure, chain of command of your Company, and be sure to pay attention during the Land Nav courses. Also, it doesn't hurt to know the Soldier's Creed, General Orders, and all that shit before you even ship out.

Week 4: Day/Night Land Nav, BRM, 4-mile Roadmarch. We learned Dead Recconing this week and ran a night course. I like DR more than plotting gridpoints. But find a navigation method you like the most and be sure to practice your shit.

Week 5: Weapons Qualification, GFT

Week 6: Heavy Weapons Qualifications

Monday: M2 .50 cal, Mk19 40mm Automatic Grenade Launcher, AT4
Tuesday: Hand Grenades (we marched to Malone in IBA's/LBE's/MICH. Be ready for that.)
Wednesday: M203
Thursday: Class on M249 SAW/M240B machine guns.
Friday: 6-mile roadmarch. M249 SAW 5.56mm machine gun, M240B 7.62mm machine gun, Night Fire (You use night vision and all this IR shit on an M240B. I really enjoyed that...)

Week 7: CLS/Intro to ITT (Infantry Tactical Training). Stick IV's and all that happy shit. Easy week. 5-mile company run on Wednesday morning and Combat Focused PT every day.

And now in Week 8: Uniform Issue, more ITT, and getting ready for Family Day.

Rangers, sorry about the double post. More pushups coming. (...fuck!)

Driving On,
-DRM
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Good sitrep, David. Thanks for the phone call. Not bad for a 17 year old.

By the way - don't get used to the rucksack flop. You're expected to take a knee like everyone else.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
IDon'tCare
Ranger

Post by IDon'tCare »

DRM I like your attitude. Best of luck.
A co 2/75 80-84
Ranger class 12-82
SERE Instructor class 1-83

Mentor to Prodigy922 / KW12 / whiskeytango
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

We had a recruit die of a heat stroke..

Happens every year at least once or twice...
Fort Benning is no fucking joke. DRINK YOUR FUCKING WATER...
Sipping small amounts over time is better than chugging a lot at once..

Don't be a pussy.. Do the shit, get it over with, and move the fuck out.
And the buhdda said, "Thus endeth the lesson.."
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Excellent SITREP, DRM. Awaiting follow-up. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
edisapimp
Tadpole

Post by edisapimp »

Congrats DRM!! Keep up the high level of motivation!
Current - USAMEDAC - Ft. Dix, NJ
68WM6/N9/Y8/Z6 SGT, FOB Victory FAS NCOIC

OEF '06-'07
173d ABCT - USAREUR's Airborne Option!
DRM
Paratrooper

Post by DRM »

Rangers,

I've said it once before, but I'll say it again:

I'm having a fucking BLAST at OSUT!

This week was the shit. We had a Bivouac Tuesday and Wednesday night. I'm no longer an RTO...I'm AR of my FT. (I like the SAW. Puts a lot of lead downrange) So, no more rucksack flop...damn. On Monday we had introduction to ARM (Advanced Rifle Marksmanship) and an AGR for PT. Tuesday, we trans'd to Malone 16A for the Bivouac and a great class on reacting to contact, breaking contact, and squad attack. (Straight from the Ranger Handbook, too) We did Black and Gold drills ALL NIGHT. But it's good exercise, especially when you have to hump either the SAW or 240B. Makes your back and legs stronger.

Anyway, I'm sitting at home on my pass right now. DEPs, listen up:

OSUT is gay. Very gay. But I'm learning a lot of fun shit and it's my dream job. Be resilient and appreciate everything you're given. You haven't done shit in your life and when you get to OSUT, that alone puts shit in perspective, and I haven't even done 1/10000000th anything a true warrior has done. You have an opportunity to be somebody great; don't waste it because you're a pussy. Give it to another young hooah who wants it. 2 Opt40's in my platoon have dropped their RIP slots. There's only 5 of us in my platoon with RIP contracts. And this is only OSUT, the bare minimum to be an Infantryman. You'll understand once you're here, but keep your head up, do your shit, and most of all:

Earn your shit.

Becoming an Infantryman isn't easy, but it's not hard, either. Don't be a dumbass and you'll be okay. Drink water, PT, and keep your mouth shut, your ears open, and your eyes on your target at all times.

Driving On,
-DRM
Last edited by DRM on August 9th, 2008, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

The last half of this post should be a stickie.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “Letters from School”